Feeling nostalgic

Everyone's so uptight latey, I thought I might try to lighten things up. I've abstained from posting in the "Tracts" thread mainly due to my lack of diplomatic skill. But I digress.

Does anyone else go back over thier old finds and feel a little sad when you see they've been archived? As an example, I was particularly fond of GCVARN ANd now it's gone, and I'm a little sad. I also like to return to cache pages and read the logs that have come after mine. GCZK17 for example, as I found a note in it from some Muggles with a penchant for foul language. Anyone else crazy like me? Of course it could be that I left my GPSr on someone else's bus and didn't get it back until very recently.

yeah, i'm nostalgic for some of the good old caches that are no longer.

i'm also nostalgic for other things from the olden days of caching.

Tell us a story about the olden days, flask. Pleeeeeeeese?

oh, yer funny.

back in the olden days everyone wasn't a comedian.

Edited by flask

yeah, i'm nostalgic for some of the good old caches that are no longer.

i'm also nostalgic for other things from the olden days of caching.

Tell us a story about the olden days, flask. Pleeeeeeeese?

oh, yer funny.

back in the olden days everyone wasn't a comedian.

I thought it was very funny. OK, I'll give you an olden day story. In my area every single cache was in a park or along a hiking trail. And we used parking lots to park in. ;)

As far as the original question, oh yeah! I surf my old finds all the time. I love to see what other people say about the same cache, and for some of them, years worth of other people. I've also recently found out it's much easier to surf them with CacheStats and a "my finds" PQ. GSAK too, I'm certain, but I currently don't have a copy of that.

I thought it was very funny. OK, I'll give you an olden day story. In my area every single cache was in a park or along a hiking trail. And we used parking lots to park in. :rolleyes:

;)

Yeah, I remember the day. I went to Walmart to shop, and used their parking lot as such. Guardrails prevented astray vehicles from leaving the road. Oh, oh, and lamposts? Yeah, those provided light. I think homeless people were left alone under their bridges or under hedges along a river. :ph34r:

For the OP - yes, I stopped tracking how many of my milestones are now archived (was around 35% when I gave up on the task). It's as if the locations of my memories have been erased, but then I remember- change happens....

I went back to Ohio,

but my caches were gone,

there was no multi in the woods,

there was no ammo can,

swag caches had disappeared,

all of my favorite places,

my cahces had been pulled down,

reduced to parking lot micros,

a, o , way to go

Ohio.

Well I went back to Ohio,

but the old cachers were gone,

I stood in the park pavilion,

but the event cache was over,

my early caching memories,

slowly swirled past,

like the wind through the trees,

a, o , way to go

Ohio.

I went back to Ohio,

but my pretty caching countryside,

had been paved down the middle,

by a government that had no pride,

the farms of Ohio,

had been replaced by shopping mall micros,

and nanos filled my GPS,

from Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls,

a, o , way to go

Ohio.

Although I was not here for the "good ol days", of which I really don't buy into as I think or at least hope geocachings best days are ahead, and I don't have a huge amount of finds for my couple of years of being into this I do go back and keep track of some of the caches I have found. Yes it does sadden me to see some archived and sometimes not to be resurrected. What I keep closer track of is travel items. It is amazing how many go missing. I recently had a TB of mine go missing after its first move from my original cache. The entire TB hotel it went to also went missing. One thing I have noticed is location is probably the biggest factor in longevity of caches. Muggles tend to not walk very far into the woods.

I actually have a very fond memory of the time right after I placed the Illinois APE cache. Caches were first really starting to flourish in Illinois. There were now 19 caches in Chicago I hadn't placed or already found. I decided to go on a finding spree. This was August 17, 2001.

I drove 150 miles and almost four hours of just driving to attempt nine caches (only found eight). I was thrilled at this cache run...

8953c44c-a96d-43d3-bc90-908686451b44.jpg

The red is my "cache-to-cache-crow-flying" path

The yellow squares are the caches I hit or tried that day

The orange dots are the other non-found, non-placed caches that I passed this particular day

Of those caches on the map, 8 of the 10 orange dots are archived, and 4 of the 9 yellow squares are archived. So of the caches that were available to me on August 17, 2001, 12 of the 19 (63%) are archived.

Edited by Markwell

SURE you feel nostalgic now??

But just like your grandma feels nostalgic for times of the past when there was no internet or MTV, or coffee maker, or microwave, or blue tooths (blue teeth?),

the olden days really aren't as great as they seem now.

How many caches were there in a 100 mile radius of your house?

How many miles did you have to drive to get 50 finds?

What did you do if you wanted a real challenge? No evil micros anywhere.

Heck, the nano wasn't even INVENTED yet way bacck then.

And what of a power trail? A powertrail then was two caches in the same city!!!!

And what of before anyone has placed the first boat cache!! Oh I CAN'T IMAGINE!!!

The horrors.

And what about GPSr's back then?

I started this game with a six year old garmin. I was 80 feet off on pretty much every cache. No WAAS. (or was that WASS?)

So pine away with your grandmother if you like, I'll enjoy the amazement of finding the cache with a few feet of where my GPS says it is and being able to do a numbers run if I feel like it.

Way back when? I've only been at this for a year. I've no idea how many caches were within a 100 mile radius of my house, but most of them are more than 30 miles from here in Missouri. No idea how far I drove to get my first 50. I don't particularly care, either. Don't particularly give a rip about FTF either. My GPS is fairly basic. OK It's the most basic model with a pointy arrow I've ever seen. But the accuracy is great. I love the hunt, and it makes me sad when my favorites dissapear. I'll always be able to hunt again tomorrow.

P.S. I actually described caching to my 87 year old grandmother, and she got it.

But just like your grandma feels nostalgic for times of the past when there was no internet or MTV, or coffee maker, or microwave, or blue tooths (blue teeth?),

Hey, gas was cheap back then! Even if I did have to walk with a gas can uphill both ways to buy it.

No evil micros? Works for me. Well, I'd say "blinkies" were invented, they just weren't emptied out and used for nano caches.

Besides, you saw it. Markwell went on a numbers run!! And I can remember I went to this one park about 40 miles from my house in 2003. It's relatively small (maybe 100-150 acres). And it had Four caches in it, all less than .20 miles from each other. What a Mecca! People came from all over to clear that one out. :) Ironically, I just looked, and there are only 2 caches there right now.

Way back when? I've only been at this for a year. I've no idea how many caches were within a 100 mile radius of my house, but most of them are more than 30 miles from here in Missouri. No idea how far I drove to get my first 50. I don't particularly care, either. Don't particularly give a rip about FTF either. My GPS is fairly basic. OK It's the most basic model with a pointy arrow I've ever seen. But the accuracy is great. I love the hunt, and it makes me sad when my favorites dissapear. I'll always be able to hunt again tomorrow.

P.S. I actually described caching to my 87 year old grandmother, and she got it.

Hopefully you don't think those of us that have been around 6 and more years are hijacking your thread. Yes, I definitely get sad when I see a cache I've found disappear. If I see one that is archived, I usually can't click on the link fast enough to see why it happened.

OK, I'll give you an olden day story. In my area every single cache was in a park or along a hiking trail. And we used parking lots to park in. :)

Are you aware that there are still plenty of geocache hides in parks, and along hiking trails, today?

Are you aware that there are WAY more caches in parks and along hiking trails today, in fact, than there were when you first started caching ... and therefore WAY more room for you to be selective about how you spend your caching time?

And, are you aware that you are not required to acknowledge the existence of any cache hidden in any parking lot? That you can still use parking lots just to park in?

If you are not aware of these things, TWU, then please let me have the honor of revealing something to you of which you may actually not have been aware:

You are still in the Good Old Days. :D

Does anyone else go back over thier old finds and feel a little sad when you see they've been archived?

Yes.

It has always been one of my favorite caching activities to browse way back through the earlier pages of found caches in my profile. I like to read my logs and remember. I like to read others’ logs too. And I frequently find interesting bits of humor or drama that I might have missed had I never revisited those pages.

It’s always a little sad to see the great ones go away. Every time I look back through my finds I see more and more red in the list.

But the bright side of that is that every time a cache goes away, it permits someone else to hide another cache nearby. Or even in the same place. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve logged a cache within mere feet, or sometimes mere inches, of a previous find. Sometimes years later. When that happens I always make mention of it in my log along with a link to the previous hide. Now that we have no way to search for nearby archived caches I figure that’s one small way I can help keep local caching history alive.

OK, I'll give you an olden day story. In my area every single cache was in a park or along a hiking trail. And we used parking lots to park in. :)

Are you aware that there are still plenty of geocache hides in parks, and along hiking trails, today?

Are you aware that there are WAY more caches in parks and along hiking trails today, in fact, than there were when you first started caching ... and therefore WAY more room for you to be selective about how you spend your caching time?

And, are you aware that you are not required to acknowledge the existence of any cache hidden in any parking lot? That you can still use parking lots just to park in?

If you are not aware of these things, TWU, then please let me have the honor of revealing something to you of which you may actually not have been aware:

You are still in the Good Old Days. :D

Thanks, KBI. You made me feel a lot better, and realize it's still the good old days. Except gas isn't cheap anymore. :D

I miss the old days when geocachers would put real thought, effort, and creativity into geocaches. Lately, I have found so many geocaches in my area where it appears that the hider just tossed a used plastic container into some random weeds and called it a geocache.

My very first geocache find (which is archived now, may it rest in peace) was a very clever hide placed on the top of a bluff overlooking a nearby lake. I'm sorry but the randomly placed lamp post micro just does not evoke that same emotion from me.

Call me old fashioned, but I would rather have fewer well thought out geocaches than a bunch of haphazardly thrown out park and grabs. Sure, I can simply "ignore" the geocaches I do not enjoy hunting for. However, it seems like I am having to "ignore" more and more each day.

Thanks for the memories. :)

Edited by heyjonathan101

:)

Well back in the "Day"..... the year of "01" caches few and far between, but it was the time of the traders / swag swappers. (Oh lord at one spell it was Mardi Gra Beads) by the bag fulls, as will as the time of "McDonald's Kiddie Meal Toys" Moist-Handie wipes.....and on and on Split / cut golf balls, expired discount cupons, But they still traded and put out "Swag" Here in my area over the last several years, trading has come to a stop (on the most part anyway) a lot of new hides (which I consider "Geo-Trash".....pill bottles with a scrap of paper for a log and not even a writing stick........Yes I remember The Days! :D

1swag1.jpg

Edited by GIDEON-X

I miss reading the logbook and seeing everyone's comments which filled up an entire page at times. Today everyone just signs their name and date which is rather pointless to read. I also miss seeing decent trade items.

This is an absolute fact!! And I live 350 miles from you, and never heard of you. :huh: I have the original logbook from a spring 2004 placement right here at the desk. From 2004 until about 2007 just about everyone wrote a full page paper log. Then it was just signature after signature. Sometimes 15 on a single page! I also remember being like the 12th finder of a regular placed in the summer of 2008. My online log said something to the effect of "the way people are signing this logbook, it will last approximately 150 years".

I would love to spend the time to write a full page in log books but, more often than not the caches are placed in spots that there are soo many muggles around, I can't.

When given the opportunity, I do write as much as possible (because that is what I would wish to see in log books of my caches). But for the most part. It just isn't practical anymore.

I do try to remember to take notes and write what I can on the online logs though.

Bruce.

Yesterday I did a maint run on my first cache, placed in Sept 2001. The logbook was finally full. I spent some time paging through the book reading logs and seeing names, some of once avid geocachers who have left the game, some of cachers who were relative novices when they found the cache and now have thousands of finds.

And what of a power trail? A powertrail then was two caches in the same city!!!!

And what of before anyone has placed the first boat cache!! Oh I CAN'T IMAGINE!!!

The horrors.

And what about GPSr's back then?

I started this game with a six year old garmin. I was 80 feet off on pretty much every cache. No WAAS. (or was that WASS?)

So pine away with your grandmother if you like, I'll enjoy the amazement of finding the cache with a few feet of where my GPS says it is and being able to do a numbers run if I feel like it.

Not knowing what you don't have, means you don't worry about not having it.

It doesn't matter how many there were within a 100 miles, you could still spend all day on a caching adventure, its just the smilies were just a few not dozens.

Near here there was at least a boat back in 2001. For a challenge you waited for the nettles and thorns to fill in and then go bushwacking in shorts :angry: .

Not sure what to say about the gps units, started with a garmin etrex, those are still around. Yes X series receivers are more sensitive, so instead of lack of signal there is multipathing :):angry: .