Starter swag.

bittsen

I usually keep a running stash of swag for caching.

When I start a cache I take the very best of what I've got and put it in. (I've got caches under another name).

I also put in whatever travel bugs I happen to have at the time.

I try to include things for adults as well as children.

Where the cache is located also says what will be in it.

I visited a new cache once that was near some hiking trails. It was well stocked with rain ponchos, handwarmers, waterproof matches, first aid stuff, and other great hiking stuff.

I like to put a lot of polished semi-precious stones in, foreign coins, and stuff that might appeal to anyone.

Not that a newbie is someone to listen to necessarily, but ...

My first hide contained originally two rubber frogs, a live cactus keychain, and one other small item I can't remember now.

My second hide will contain a small doll, a hotwheels car, a pair of earbuds, and a water bottle holder/carabiner (I will probably put a couple of other items in here as well).

The ammo can I'm planning on hiding will have a $5 gift card, a pair of USB-powered computer speakers, a 2009 Hot Wheels mystery car, a Build-Your-Own-Stonehenge kit, a couple of the water bottle carabiners, probably a couple of micro containers (match safes) and one or two other things. It will probably be a pretty packed can, but it's going to be at the end of a fairly involved Multi-stage puzzle that I'm working the details out on.

Edited by tekkguy

Whoooa - you guys above are so lucky to be able to hide big ammo cans full of swag! Almost all the caches in my congested suburban area are micros or very small containers - there's just not enough open space for the big hides around here!

It can be a lot more challenging to leave good (but affordable) swag in a small container - and no, I don't suggest $100 bills, although they would fit in just about any cache! For our rather small sized caches, I usually start them off with a FTF prize such as a $5 gift card to a local fast food spot, or a local bookstore. When I see inexpensive TB's or geocoins for sale on-line, I will order a few of the under $10 variety and put in an (unactivated) TB or coin as the FTF prize.

Since I love to find pins, I also order geo-pins of various designs (from on-line caching stores) and put a few in a new cache, as well as some small toys or magnetic bookmarks (small, flat, and inexpensive when ordered online.) Magnets and small sized keychains are also nice swag, and can often be found in gift shops when you travel ( I don't like to spend more than $2 or $3 on them, but you can usually find them at that price on the sale shelves.) Local magnets or keychains are great, especially if you get a lot of cachers from out of town, as we do around here.