Charter Members - what was cut off date?

wandering4cache

The cutoff date was something like June 02. I don't know how your friend is Charter if he joined after that date, but he probably wrote into the contact address with a reasonable explanation.

The second criteria is that you've had a PM continuously since then (with up to a 90 day grace period).

Edited by OpinioNate

The cutoff date was something like June 02. I don't know how your friend is Charter if he joined after that date, but he probably wrote into the contact address with a reasonable explanation.

The second criteria is that you've had a PM continuously since then (with up to a 90 day grace period).

So what date were they first offered?? I thought the window was larger than that..... (but I've been known to be wrong)

You must also be ranked at least at an Awesomeness Level 7 on the Barney Stinson scale.

So what date were they first offered?? I thought the window was larger than that..... (but I've been known to be wrong)

I don't remember the exact date (became a cacher in '03 personally). I think Keystone knows.

I don't remember the exact date (became a cacher in '03 personally). I think Keystone knows.

Of course Keystone knows. ;)

Charter memberships were available to anyone who became premium members during the first full year in which premium memberships were offered. That period began in the first week of March 2002 and ended in March 2003. I could be off by four to six weeks on the ending date, which may have been extended past March, but not by much more than that.

Edited by Keystone

Charter memberships were available to anyone who became premium members during the first full year in which premium memberships were offered. That period began in the first week of March 2002 and ended in March 2003. I could be off by four to six weeks on the ending date, which may have been extended past March, but not by much more than that.

I believe Keystone is correct. Charter memberships were offered during the first month I geocached. I, of course, waited till I was sure I was going to stick with Geocaching before putting down my money. I missed the cutoff date by one or two days (3/21/03).

I can't remember the exact details but i'm pretty sure that i let my premium membership expire before renewing it a couple of days later, only because of instructions i received, either in an email or that i found on site, telling me to do it that way. That was when i lost the Charter Member status and it has always irked me that it happened.

My question now, what is this 90 day grace period? Is it possible to get Charter Member status back since i've have been a continuous with only a few days interruption in my premium membership?

My question now, what is this 90 day grace period? Is it possible to get Charter Member status back since i've have been a continuous with only a few days interruption in my premium membership?

Write to Groundspeak customer service and ask them to review your membership history. If they see a small gap like you described, and there is no adverse history, perhaps you might regain Charter Member status. Ask nicely and tell them that the Global Forum Moderator said you deserved a break. ;)

Thats exactly what I thought!!! - thanks Keystone!!

We have a local cacher in Nova Scotia, who has been a member since 2001. Granted he has not been a premium member all of that time, but he has been a member all the same. He has the further distinction of placing the first geocache in Canada and maybe the 20th or so in the world. That cache is still active and well maintained. I personally think that if anyone deserves a charter membership, it is him. From the start he has worked to make geocaching better. He contributes regularly to group events and is very active locally and is extremely helpful to both new and old cachers.

Personally, I think a charter membership should mean more than just joining early and paying up every year.

We have a local cacher in Nova Scotia, who has been a member since 2001. Granted he has not been a premium member all of that time, but he has been a member all the same. He has the further distinction of placing the first geocache in Canada and maybe the 20th or so in the world. That cache is still active and well maintained. I personally think that if anyone deserves a charter membership, it is him. From the start he has worked to make geocaching better. He contributes regularly to group events and is very active locally and is extremely helpful to both new and old cachers.

Personally, I think a charter membership should mean more than just joining early and paying up every year.

I should think he has been awarded, over and over, with increased quality of life and the knowledge that he has contributed to the enjoyment of countless others. When you put it that way a label starts to pale in comparison. I bet if you asked him how he feels about it he might agree.

and yet, it doesn't.

"have faith in us now", they said. "pony up your $30 early. take a risk before you know how we're going to do or if this is going to fly."

"support our fledgling business", they said. "we plan to bring enhancements later but we need your money now."

"and what will we get for our faith in you and for our early adoption of this new model?"

"we will call you charter members."

"that's all?"

"yep. charter members."

"ok", we said. "sign me up."

Ok, that explains it. We joined Aug 2002, but didn't become a Premium Member until Oct 2003. Have been one ever since with no lapse at all.

The other cacher joined Oct 2002, but must have become a premium member before March 2003.

Thanks for the info.

Can I pay for a retroactive charter membership? :)

Edited by wandering4cache

Actually the grace period is 2 months not 3 but Nate is getting old so I understand how he made this mistake. This means that if you had a charter membership and it lapsed for less than 2 months we will restore it for you if it has been continuous since then.

Mudfrog, Write me and I'll explain what happened with yours.