Image attachments (spoiler) links in GPX files

4Babky

Hi,

I'm not sure if this was suggested already, my searches couldn't find it, so here is my request:

Would it be possible to add links to images attached to a cache listing (those that appear on the bottom on listing, often including photohints/spoilers) to the GPX files? AFAIK currently programs such as spoiler sync have to fetch it from the HTML, having the links right in the GPX would save this step.

Also, programs such as SmartGPX, which displays gpx files on a mobile phone and allows fetching linked images on demand via GPRS/3G, would be able to fetch spoilers too. Currently they don't have access to these links, since they don't work with HTML listings.

Hope that's clear, thanks!

Hi,

I just found one further filed:

The "Last Updated" date at the bottom of the page.

This would be very helpfull, because I often solve mystery caches in advance and do the outdoor part some weeks later.

It would be helpful, if I could see, that the listing changed after I solved it.

Thanks

Jörg

I'm not sure if this was suggested already

I asked for this many years ago and would be most delighted if Groundspeak would include the links and texts of all images attached to a cache listing. Those who want or need the images can then download them via the provided URL.

Over here in multi-rich Germany these images often contain information necessary to find the cache. All attempts to educate owners to include a link in their long description have failed - many just don't understand the issue because they are not premium members or don't go paperless.

Edited by eigengott

I asked for this many years ago and would be most delighted if Groundspeak would include the links and texts of all images attached to a cache listing. Those who want or need the images can then download them via the provided URL.

Without searching for this request through this forum - I can't believe that image linking within the GPX files has not been requested before. And I second this request emphatically, that would help a lot.

Over here in multi-rich Germany these images often contain information necessary to find the cache. All attempts to educate owners to include a link in their long description have failed - many just don't understand the issue because they are not premium members or don't go paperless.

And not to forget - lots of people are more than a little overstrained with all those regulations when english is not their native language....and in addition to this, one needs some skills in HTML to include image links in the cache listings.

It's very nice to see, that GS takes care on users wishes and requests. :)

To attach attributes to the files sent by PQ was often a missed functionality of PQ. Thank you for adding this feature! :D Nevertheless, having links for the spoiler pictures (as shown on the bottom of the listing) would be the next step to make PQ more comfortable to use.

Might there be any chance to implement such a feature for the next update?

Here in Germany, pictures are very often necessary for a cache, either as hint or as for the request of answering stages.

Keep on caching :D

But, for certain caches, the images posted could total up to several MB of data.

Virtuals have probably the most images, and if there were several virtuals in my PQ, the overall size of the PQ would be bloated beyond downloadability.

There is a feature in GSAK to retrieve images from caches one cache at a time...probably a better option.

But, for certain caches, the images posted could total up to several MB of data.

Virtuals have probably the most images, and if there were several virtuals in my PQ, the overall size of the PQ would be bloated beyond downloadability.

There is a feature in GSAK to retrieve images from caches one cache at a time...probably a better option.

I think, you missunderstood this topic.

We do not want the images themself in the Gpx, but the URLs and the according descriptions.

fast reply:

links to listingimages: +++

links to galleryimages: ---

bye

hedgeway

The galleryimages aren't necessary, but those in the listing would be really usefull.

Often there are images in the listing, which are actual stages of a multicache. So when I get the PQs, I miss vital information on a multicache.

So I second this request for links of images.

Thanks in advance.

I second that. In addition Groundspeak could make a checkbox in the PQ creation/editing screen to toogle that on or off, which would suit the indiviual taste.

Har, har... good one. But frankly speaking: Most people don't even take care of spell checking in their listings, so why should they bother with this...

In further addition I would like to have the PQ made able to filter in archived caches, because I used the "damned" GSAK (RefreshAllGPX) macro only for filtering out archived caches from my database. [selected the "temporary disabled" and then did the RefreshAllGPX.gsk on them to get the current status]

Kind regards,

EntropyCoM

having spoiler images handy makes caching much more smooth:

4c06fc54-165c-4f9d-afd2-26bad9708696.jpg

happy coding.

hans

nb: the images are real screen shots, no fake.

Too bad this works only on Oregon 550, right? A better way to view images on Oregon 300 and 400 would be nice too, but maybe if we get links in the GPX, then we can start pushing Garmin as well (imagine if you saved the images to a special folder, Oregon could open them from a listing containing the links). Of course the current image viewer is unusable.

Still, there's immediate possibility of the images to be used in PDA/mobile as I said. People would be quick to update their tools/scripts (spoilersync, smartgpx...).

Edited by Caster&drow

We do not want the images themself in the Gpx, but the URLs and the according descriptions.

It would, in fact, not be possible (with encoding the binary) to put images in a GPX file. GPX files are plain text files, created as XML according to the GPX specification with Groundspeak extensions added.

It would, in fact, not be possible (with encoding the binary) to put images in a GPX file. GPX files are plain text files, created as XML according to the GPX specification with Groundspeak extensions added.

even with uuencode?

[…]

all we need is a link to the image.

the oregon itself needs the image and a xml file containing this:

<gpx><wpt lat="53.556667" lon="9.964667"><name>GCXXXX - Spoilertest</name><cmt>Cool</cmt><link href="Spoiler/HCT_Logo.jpg"/><sym>City (Small)</sym></wpt></gpx>

30bba64e-9684-4da6-bd2f-1645e95d47ac.jpg

frohes jagen

Edited by HHL

Any plans on this one???

Together with the geocache attributes, which I assume will be popping any time, this is the last obstacle to true paperless geocaching.

Two perspectives into it:

One already mentioned in this thread is the number of people doing spidering on gc.com getting this images, and some doing it repeatedly to get the updates :D.

Probably Groundspeak would save a significant amount of server power by introducing this feature.

Other, with this feature and some macros around it, lots of people will be convinced into paperless and stop printing tons of paper information that by definition gets outdated one week later.

Anyone please...

Probably Groundspeak would save a significant amount of server power by introducing this feature.

Groundspeak could save server power by introducing any number of suggestions, yet they haven't. It seems they're simply not interested.

Seems so :laughing:

I agree with Caster.

Some people stealing data through the web pages and have more informations then is in PQ now! For example, links to spoilers images.

(And cache attributes before a few moths... thanks for adding attributes to the PQ!)

I am paying for PM, and my PQ have less infomations then someone who are stealing datas. :-(

Little PQ modification is needed. Each listing can have an attached images. Just add URL to this images to the new XML tags, or at least add it to the end of LongDescription (like you are adding additional waypoints informations...).

Thank you.

Not even with Data URIs?

Anything that encourages people to move cache descriptions and "critical" cache information out of plain text and into images could become very bad for paperless cachers who don't have the ability to view the images on their devices. Will we have to return to printing cache pages on paper?

I am creating PQs mainly for holidays. Since I still have a 60CS I can not do any paperless caching. But going through all the caches in the surroundig of the camping place takes a lot of time ;) . PQs have solved that, almost that is. Indeed, the last thing I really do need is the images at the end of the listing. As one knows, these helps in some cases find the stash. And, above all, they are part of the listing as created by the owner. So actually, they should be part of the GPX file.

Now, I have created a small script that goes throught the GPX and makes one big HTML file with all listings from the GPX file that I am interested in. And now, I still have to go through the lot to find those spoiler pictures. Too bad. I was hoping it would be complete.

For me too, the adding of the urls at the end of the LongDescription would solved the last main missing thing.

Please people of GS, add them for all of us! Thank you in advance!

-Marco