Diggin in Flower Beds?

cr4zybilly

I had a couple minutes today during lunch, so I thought I'd hit a cached just down the street from my office.

The cache is just on the edge of the parking lot of a business. There's a very good chance it's in the flower bed, though, which was right outside the business' window. Traipsing around somebody else's flowerbed, turning over rocks and whatnot just outside somebody's window creeped me out, so I bailed w/o finding the cache.

This isn't the first cache I've had to bail on b/c it was in a business' flowerbed during the day. Between the muggles and the feeling that I'm being rude, trespassing on private property and whatnot.

How do you handle that?

For one thing, if it is shrubbery you are talking about, I doubt very much that you need to turn over rocks or walking through the flowers. Most generally (there's always an exception) the cache will merely be hidden behind/underneath the shrubbery, reachable w/o entering easily damaged flora or groundscaping.

Most of all...... if it makes you nervous to do those locations, why do you try them? I would recommend that if it makes you feel uneasy (for whatever reason) you should probably avoid it.

Pay attention to the description on the cache page. It will usually tell you that it is placed with permission, in that case the employees are probably getting a kick out of you trying to find the cache, if not laughing their tails off at you!! If not, then again, maybe you would want not to try that cache.

Perhaps caching after business hours for those is the best solution. :rolleyes:

There's no filtration device for stupid hides except your own good judgement.. just walk away.. there are thousands of good caches out there.

True, but that cache probably is in that businesses flowerbed, and probably has tons of happy logs, and no complaints. But yep, if creeping around outside of a business isn't your idea of fun, just walk away.

Good to hear I'm not alone--thanks.

I'll probably return to this one on a weekend some time. If I knew nobody was inside getting creeped out by my being there, I'd be a lot more comfortable looking.

But for now, it's going to have to remain DNF'ed.

Why don't you simply email the owner and ask for a clue as to where it is and mention that you are uneasy with it and why. Most cache owners will be only too willing to help and that will soon settle it for you.

Just an update, I returned to this one on a late Saturday afternoon when I knew the business would be closed. Turns out it was a nano under a stair railing (not in the flowerbed).

Still, I felt a lot better looking for it then (just because I could step into the flowerbed if I wanted w/o making anybody feel weird, including me).

Thanks, everybody!

I know what you mean. I once went to hunt for a cache that was stuck to a school :) . I came back later, even though school wasn't even in the first time. It just felt awkward, so I went and re-checked the cache page and talked to a friend that had already found it.

Schools are off limits without express permission of the administration. If the cache was there with permission it was most likely placed by students and there was no need to to feel awkward.

If it was there without permission, you should report it to your reviewer immediately.

Generally if a school give permission it will say so on the cache page. If in doubt report it and let the reviewer sort it out.

I know what you mean. I once went to hunt for a cache that was stuck to a school :) . I came back later, even though school wasn't even in the first time. It just felt awkward, so I went and re-checked the cache page and talked to a friend that had already found it.

Schools are off limits without express permission of the administration. If the cache was there with permission it was most likely placed by students and there was no need to to feel awkward.

If it was there without permission, you should report it to your reviewer immediately.

Generally if a school give permission it will say so on the cache page. If in doubt report it and let the reviewer sort it out.

As it turns out one of the school bus drivers is a cacher, so it was all good. :)

I had a couple minutes today during lunch, so I thought I'd hit a cached just down the street from my office.

The cache is just on the edge of the parking lot of a business. There's a very good chance it's in the flower bed, though, which was right outside the business' window. Traipsing around somebody else's flowerbed, turning over rocks and whatnot just outside somebody's window creeped me out, so I bailed w/o finding the cache.

This isn't the first cache I've had to bail on b/c it was in a business' flowerbed during the day. Between the muggles and the feeling that I'm being rude, trespassing on private property and whatnot.

How do you handle that?

Do not hide geocaches that by their nature and location draw cache hunters into such situations.