Can you DNF an Earthcache?

Pajaholic

I failed on two Earthcaches today: GC1EZ3 Kit Hill and GC10PFX Devon Great Consols.

For Kit Hill, we answered the first question and took a photo but couldn't find the answer to the second question on any of the information boards. However, the information boards did mention a marked trail that is estimated to take two hours. I suspect that you'd need to walk that trail to be able to answer the second question; and that's something the cache page doesn't suggest. A DNF or a note would make it clear that this probably isn't a quick cache to "do".

For Devon Great Consoles, the "less than one hour" attribute is given but I suspect that I couldn't have done it in that time unless I used a bicycle. Google maps shows a minor road leading almost up to GZ - but it's signed "Public Access Prohibited" some way off GZ and I suspect the closest "legal" parking space is the other side of the area. A DNF or note giving the coords of the start of the "prohibited" road and the limit of public access would at least let others know of the issue.

I know that the CO of Kit Hill doesn't want notes without his/her explicit permission - so I wouldn't in that case without it. However, in principle, can you DNF an Earthcache? (and would you with either of these?)

TIA,

Geoff

Some earthcache owner doesn't want geocacher to write note or DNF at earthcache because a geocacher can change its log as found afterwards without the CO getting an email notice. Personnally, I think earthcache owner should allow geocacher to write note or DNF like any other type of cache.

Some earthcache owner doesn't want geocacher to write note or DNF at earthcache because a geocacher can change its log as found afterwards without the CO getting an email notice. Personnally, I think earthcache owner should allow geocacher to write note or DNF like any other type of cache.

I agree, especially if you explain what happened along your trip. I would personally do a note but a DNF works too. If the CO erases the note well then the CO is being a little over controlling in my opinion but I wouldn't get upset about it and just move on.