Geocaching.com affected by the credit crunch?

tamarab64

We've been busier than ever. I have definitely seen an increase more out of the country than in the US. Also a lot more requests for free items for sponsorship of events. Actually an overwhelming amount to the point where we can't fill half of the requests for freebies. I would venture to guess that has increased because of the crunch also.

Also on a personal note, I decided to sell off some geocoins that I had sitting around for the past couple years and out of about 75 coins I put up only 1 didn't sell.

I would guess from what I see that geocaching in general is still picking up steam. It's a fairly inexpensive hobby/sport that anyone that likes going outside and just taking a walk or hike can get into easily.

Edited by jho135

Also a lot more requests for free items for sponsorship of events. Actually an overwhelming amount to the point where we can't fill half of the requests for freebies.

What about discounts for people hosting events instead of free items. Maybe Groundspeak can give items at cost and throw some freebies into the mix.

Oh wow... Didn't expect it to be that busy.

Thanks a lot

I'm not surprised. Lots of families looking for alternate entertainments. How much does it cost to take a family out to dinner and a movie? How about a football game? Makes caching look cheap.

Except for, well you know, the GPS part, but, I suppose, 1 GPS can last a long time. Batteries on the other hand...

1 good gps reciever: $100

batteries: $50 a year

GC membership: $30 or free

TOTAL: $180 a year at most.

Football training for a year including gear: $500+

I think we know which one wins!

Except for, well you know, the GPS part, but, I suppose, 1 GPS can last a long time. Batteries on the other hand...

Good battery charger: $40

Good rechargeable batteries: $40 for enough sets

Covers $50/year in only about 18 months. After that, it's gravy.

Good battery charger: $40

Good rechargeable batteries: $40 for enough sets

Covers $50/year in only about 18 months. After that, it's gravy.

Doesn't even have to be that much.

LaCrosse BC-9009 is $40 and comes with 4 AA batteries. I've been using them and they're decent.

4 pack Eneloop is $15. Unless you plan to be out in the wild for days, 4 sets should be more than sufficient. If you're never out for more than a day, the 2 sets that came with the charger is more than enough. Get a 4 pack of alkaline or lithium disposables for emergency. You don't want to have too many sets, unless you keep topping them up. Otherwise by the time you get to the last set, there's not going to be much charge left in it.

Anyone who caches often and doesn't use rechargables is, in my opinion, just throwing money away.

I'm not surprised. Lots of families looking for alternate entertainments. How much does it cost to take a family out to dinner and a movie? How about a football game? Makes caching look cheap.

I think we know which one wins!

well actually $180 for first year ( +Gas/Shoe cost)

then $80 or less a year after that unless you gotta replace your gps.

heck the crunch is partially what led me to geocaching, something to do that dont cost every time you do it and that isn't going to a bar (almost all there seems to do around here and it sucks when you don't drink but once in a blue moon)

The high finances of peewee football aside many people get started in geocaching with no added investment. They cache with a GPS that they had for another purpose or a GS enabled phone or even a pda with a gps add on. Makes geocaching very cheap to do when you are using gear you already own. Take the family out for a day of adventure in the local parks for the cost of a couple of gallons of gas and maybe a stop at McD's.

I think you are talking about paid premium memberships. Even the unpaid memberships increase the revenue to the site if that is what you are interested in. The more viewers the more the add space is worth.

Even if you take site revenue out of the equation the simple truth is that the hobby is ripe to grow in these tough times.

You would think that if the paid memberships are up, that they would start allowing for more detailed seach options for the website data. It seems like the more people get into geocaching that more want to manipulate the data and when suggestions are bought up, people are always negative about it.

You would think that if the paid memberships are up, that they would start allowing for more detailed seach options for the website data. It seems like the more people get into geocaching that more want to manipulate the data and when suggestions are bought up, people are always negative about it.

Felt the need to drag your pet topic into this one?

See you just proved my point.

See you just proved my point.

Which point? That you are a troll looking for a trollish good time or that you think it is ok to spam multiple threads to draw attention to yourself?

Just take your discussion of that topic to the thread that is open and running for it. We can debate it there until the cows come home.