GCVote now available for Internet Explorer (beta)

Rhialto

Guido released yesterday his script that should now be compatible with Internet Explorer. This is still in beta so make sure you are confortable to experiment with it.

Please be advised that Guido tested it with IE7 only and that your feedback is welcome.

He would also like to hear from people still using IE6 and the more recent IE8.

N.B. You have to use IE7Pro and Compatibility Script for IE7Pro for the GCVote script to work under IE.

I haven't tested it myself but I wanted to share the news for all those (remaining) IE users wishing to use GCVote for a long time. :rolleyes:

GCVote now counts over 1 million votes for 250000 caches in the world.

Those numbers were 90000 and 50000 respectively just 6 months ago!

? so you have to load IE7, then Compatibility, then greasemonkey, then the program? is that the steps now?

No, you install IE7Pro (which does not only work with IE7). Then you install the compatibility script and GCVote. IE7Pro replaces Greasemonkey in this setup. There will be real installation instructions when the next version is released. For now I it's just beta and there may be issues that could lead to a different setup.

Is the chance that this script will working also on Goggle Chrome?

I don't think so. All browsers prevent Javascript to access data in non-local domains (cross-site-scripting). Greasemonkey adds an exception and gives additional rights to the installed scripts. The build-in userscripts of other browsers do not get these additional rights.

But I may be wrong, I just don't want to spend that much time installing and testing all the different browsers and all the different plugins that may or may not allow cross-site-scripting. There are updates to these browsers and plugins all the time and the required features are seldom well documented.

When I hear of a promising solution for another browser, I try to test it and would do my best to make neccessary changes to GCVote.

unfortunately, it doesn't work at all. Doesn't show anything in Chrome 4.0.249.89

Thank you for that information. I was using version 5 for Linux and forgot that the stable version is 4. Well, it was a very small problem/bug and should be fixed now. Please try again!

Good News for IE users! (Not me, I'm a Firefox guy)

And many thanks to the developer for this functionality! I love it, and I (objectively, of course) always rate every cache I find.

My next wish is that Geocaching.com will soon give Guido back some of his free time and allow this as a native option in Geocaching.com. (they're working on it)

Good News for IE users! (Not me, I'm a Firefox guy)

And many thanks to the developer for this functionality! I love it, and I (objectively, of course) always rate every cache I find.

My next wish is that Geocaching.com will soon give Guido back some of his free time and allow this as a native option in Geocaching.com. (they're working on it)

This sounds great. I may have to dust off IE for geocaching, just so I can use this!

Edited to add: I see that GCVote DOES work with Firefox. I hope lots of people will start signing up and rating my local caches!

Edited by mountainman38