How long is it reasonable to keep a TB in transit from one cache to the next?

mcccliv

9 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

I'm not sure what you mean about making GCs a premium member thing.

With "Gc" I mean Geocoin. 

Geocaches can still be accessable for everyone, but as a owner you can choose wether it's premium only or not. So maybe you can have the same options for trackables too, so only premium members can see them and visit or drop them only in premium caches.

1 hour ago, Bronjun said:

With "Gc" I mean Geocoin. 

Geocaches can still be accessable for everyone, but as a owner you can choose wether it's premium only or not. So maybe you can have the same options for trackables too, so only premium members can see them and visit or drop them only in premium caches.

I think you'd have so little control of that actually happening. I have seen travel bug owners ask that a TB only be dropped in secure caches. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Bronjun said:

I want to send one or two Tb´s out myself, but oh boy.
This really makes me wonder, if it´s a good idea to make the Tb´s / Gc´s a premium member only thing.

Trackables would end up just like geocaches...   

The assumption is that just because someone plunked down money, they're now somehow more honest or responsible ?

3 hours ago, Bronjun said:

Geocaches can still be accessable for everyone, but as a owner you can choose wether it's premium only or not.

So maybe you can have the same options for trackables too, so only premium members can see them and visit or drop them only in premium caches.

You do realize that a basic member can ask for a temp-premium membership, simply by asking for it at HQ, right ?   

Most families cache together. Usually only one member of the family has a pm. Everyone can "see" that trackable.  ;)

We know of a few people who ask that their trackables be placed in pm caches.  None ever panned out.

We don't know of anyone who reads the trackable's mission/goal before taking it from a cache.  Maybe if there's one with it.

I use a GPSr, and sometimes don't even carry my phone.  I wouldn't know the mission/goal until I get home...

32 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

The assumption is that just because someone plunked down money, they're now somehow more honest or responsible ?

I guess no.

It's only a kind of protection against new members who searched a couple of caches, found something nice and never been seen again. 

22 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

You do realize that a basic member can ask for a temp-premium membership, simply by asking for it at HQ, right ?   

No, didn't know that.

22 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We don't know of anyone who reads the trackable's mission/goal before taking it from a cache.

Now you know one ;)

So basically if you send out a Tb you have to expect that not everyone (but I hope at least someone) give a da*n about the goal, it somehow disappears, or get stolen one day. Sounds fun. But I guess you just have to live with it.

Edited by Bronjun
26 minutes ago, Bronjun said:

So basically if you send out a Tb you have to expect that not everyone (but I hope at least someone) give a da*n about the goal, it somehow disappears, or get stolen one day. Sounds fun. But I guess you just have to live with it.

Yep.  Once that trackable leaves your hands you have no control of it.  The good and bad thing of "anyone can play"...human nature.   ;)

We assumed all "my" trackables were gone, as well as a couple dozen geocoins belonging to the other 2/3rds.

- Just a couple days ago we had one "reappear", and it turned out still in the same cache I left it in two years ago.

All those long-time premium members never bothered to look through swag, a person just returning to the hobby, in his first/only cache found it.   :)

On 3/12/2021 at 5:59 PM, cerberus1 said:

Both simply say they're headed for Ireland and Scotland.   Both from Canada, I don't believe they originally figured on a direct route...

Curious ...  what did the TOs say to do with them ?    You did email them first, right ?   Thanks. 

Oh, I know they probably would not get directly there, and I haven't made any moves like that yet.

I am kinda hoping before too long, that a new YVR airport TB hotel will be replaced, since the last one was archived. That would simplify matters.

Edited by mysterion604
  • Surprised 1