Walk in the woods cache is GONE!

Harris9999

Caches go missing all the time. People with no idea what they are stumble upon 'em or critters get 'em. Sometimes they are stolen by unscrupulous people with a chip on their shoulder. More often it is just that I can't find it. GPS receivers are not 100 percent accurate. if the hiders was off by 30 feet west and yours was of by 30 feet east you could be looking 60 feet from where the cache actually is.

The usual advise for a new cacher is to start with caches that have a lower difficulty rating and larger size.

OK, I went to the precise spot for the walk in the woods cache in EP, MN, and it's GONE! WHY???!!!!!! :rolleyes:

How do you know it was gone? :lol:

Because he didn't find it <_< or is that a :D ?

When I see words like "precise" used to describe the cache hunt, that tells me you were following your GPS right down to 0' and when the cache wasn't right at your feet, you figured it was missing. I could be wrong, maybe you gave it a thorough search and it is missing. But, as has been said, there is degrees of error and the best thing to do is when you get to within 30', start looking for logical spots to hide something. The GPS will get you to Ground Zero. Your eyes will find the cache.

Bruce

Do you mean Walk Through the Woods in Richard T. Anderson Park?

It's rated a 2 for difficulty, which means that the hider thinks that the average geocacher could find it in half an hour or less. It is not blazingly obvious. With you being a new geocacher, it could take a little longer. You are not the first person who couldn't find it on the first try.

The cache listing says:

Cache is located very near the trail, so no need for bushwacking. Please replace cache carefully.

I recommend reading the logs, and logging your DNF.

I took it.

Aren't you supposed to keep these things when you find them?

I think so. Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunt. I keep all the treasure boxes and bury 'em in my backyard. haha.

See you should read the guidelines before going out. Geocaches are not allowed to be buried. This includes stolen, horded geocaches. You can store them inside as long as the place you are storing them is not a commercial venture. If it is you must keep your stolen geocaches outside, but only if you have received permission!

I took it.

I think so. Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunt. I keep all the treasure boxes and bury 'em in my backyard. haha.

See you should read the guidelines before going out. Geocaches are not allowed to be buried. This includes stolen, horded geocaches. You can store them inside as long as the place you are storing them is not a commercial venture. If it is you must keep your stolen geocaches outside, but only if you have received permission!

He can bury them. He just needs to prove to the reviewer that he has permission from the property owner.

I took it.

He can bury them. He just needs to prove to the reviewer that he has permission from the property owner.

Instead of Muggled, does this mean missing caches are Sol'd?

I took it.

Bury what? The caches or the previous cache owner?

He can't bury the caches even with permission.

Although I would assume the cache owner would be without permission.

I took it.

You may want to check with a cache reviewer on the burried cache part.

As for the buried cache owners well, they seldom charge serial killers with burying the bodies. Do you really think he is burying cache owners? His post said "treasure boxes".

Unless, of course, the burial is in a cemetery. Both caches and owners require land manager approval for burial (or placement of any kind, for that matter). ;)

From the Off Limit part of the guidelines.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Now, I know one cache in my area that is a legally listed buried cache. It was listed before this was added and it is on the cache owners property. New buried caches are not supposed to be listed.

Sol seaker go home. A bunch of caches just went missing in the central U.P. of MI this week.

Looks like (maybe) another geothief is on the prowl. He (or she) isn't going to appreciate it when these cedar savages catch up with them! ;)

EDIT: Interestingly, most all of them were new placements, so far.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I took it.

As for the buried cache owners well, they seldom charge serial killers with burying the bodies. Do you really think he is burying cache owners? His post said "treasure boxes".

Someone has been watching a little too much of Law and Order.

From the Off Limit part of the guidelines.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Now, I know one cache in my area that is a legally listed buried cache. It was listed before this was added and it is on the cache owners property. New buried caches are not supposed to be listed.

I for one am glad this was added. Could you imagine if it was not? There would be people digging up all sorts of areas including cemeteries. Not cool.

I took it.

:D What's the matter? Did I forget to add a :) again?

Someone has been watching a little too much of Law and Order.