Release Notes 11/04/09

OpinioNate

How come when I go to the welcome page and click the "go" button next to where my lat and long are filled in (pre-populated) i get a long list of nearby locations to choose from? This is a new "feature"? I'm not interested in nearby locations. I want to search in a radius from my home!

Fixed as of 12:21P EST today.

Searching by postal code works from basic search page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/).

However, in Advanced search page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx) it returns "Postal code cannot be found in the system. Please try another search option." Tried it with LV1010 postal code.

This is an existing bug related to the fact we use an internal postal code database for the advanced search page. We intend to point all three search locations to the same db (the one that works), which will fix this issue.

Well it seems that this update has brought back the clearing text bug if you type your log then choose any option in the log type, what you typed is cleared! :rolleyes:

Fixed for the redeploy.

How come when I go to the welcome page and click the "go" button next to where my lat and long are filled in (pre-populated) i get a long list of nearby locations to choose from? This is a new "feature"? I'm not interested in nearby locations. I want to search in a radius from my home!

Hotfixed to live.

"The [A] bookmark list edit bug has been fixed! " - Nate

I have a bookmark list ("LTF list") with 111 entries. If I ask to display 150 or 200 at a time, I do not get the complete list. (It looks like I'm getting 91 entries, but it's too tedious to count to be sure. It is less than 100 and certainly not the whole list.)

Investigating.

12871: Standardize Mystery cache terminology

Replaced all instances of "Unknown" cache type with "Mystery/Puzzle"

Where exactly? I know I pointed this out in my message here but the 2 screenshots I posted are still valid, no correction were made :

Didn't make it to production. This will be fixed in the redeploy.

12776: Include metric distance in coordinate change log calculation

Added "distance from old" in meters

Cool! Could have come earlier considering every Country in the world use it except 3. Quoting Wikipedia: The system is nearly universally employed. Three principal exceptions are Burma (Myanmar), Liberia, and the United States. This prove how US still want to dominate the world... <_< Thanks!

This release note was a little premature - sorry! It will be in the next release.

I'm not sure if this happened as a result of the last release but I've never noticed it before...

Go to any user's profile and click on the "Trackables" tab. The username in the navigation links at the top of the page is replaced by:

[This User]

Just noticed that myself. It also doesn't properly link to the user's profile page but rather to:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?

Fixed in the redeploy.

We're putting the finishing touches on the new build now. I'll update the thread when we go live. Thanks!

still have no idea how to get it to my 2 garmin units.

I'm just waiting for the relaunch this morning so I can load into my gps and go.

There are numerous ways to transfer caches to your Garmin if you're pressed for time. The simplest is to download the .GPX from the cache page and, depending on your GPS model, copy it over. GSAK is a good free program to use for this.

There are numerous ways to transfer caches to your Garmin if you're pressed for time. The simplest is to download the .GPX from the cache page and, depending on your GPS model, copy it over. GSAK is a good free program to use for this.

thank you...i'll give that a try.

Edited by Team JerTin

When creating a puzzle/mystery cache (the only one I tested), after you have submitted but before it is approved, going back to edit the cache causes the type to change to "traditional".

Same here. Our local reviewer has been publishing "traditionals" all evening. (They changed by accident when he worked on them as well)

I just heard from him on Twitter that he won't be publishing any caches the next few days until all the bugs are ironed out.

I am getting a Server Error:

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I get this message every time I have tried to download the coordinates to my Garmin GPS unit?

It only started occurring today!

Please correct it? I don't like entering coordinates manually Takes too long!

Send to GPX is broken?

Is "1728: GPX files: need attributes" to blame?

I get:

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

http://www.geocaching.com/error/error.aspx.../sendtogps.aspx

Investigating now.

This is fixed but we need to redeploy the site for it to take effect. That will happen in the morning. I'm very sorry for the delay in the meantime!

When will this take place?

It's only 6:20am in Seattle. How about in a couple hours?

Does anyone know why this still isn't fixed? It's not 6:20am in Seattle any more!

After uploading field notes a pink box now appears in the my profile page stating that I have pending field notes, I like it. BUT I have now done them all and it still says I have one pending when I click on the link it takes me to the page with the detail on how to upload field notes and in red says:

No logs have been found for your account at this time.

The site is coming down now for deployment. Please standby.

Edit: We found a last minute bug related to the subscribe/unsubscribe email settings and are working that into the build. Currently testing the fix and will rebuild and redeploy asap.

Edited by OpinioNate

Send to GPX is broken?

I get:

http://www.geocaching.com/error/error.aspx.../sendtogps.aspx

Investigating now.

This is fixed but we need to redeploy the site for it to take effect. That will happen in the morning. I'm very sorry for the delay in the meantime!

When will this take place?

It's only 6:20am in Seattle. How about in a couple hours?

Does anyone know why this still isn't fixed? It's not 6:20am in Seattle any more!

Will this be fixed today? And to clarify, it's Send to GPS that isn't working. The link to download GPX files is working fine.

The site is back up. The following issues have been addressed.

Send to GPS fails (Garmin)

Postback when selecting cache log type

Breadcrumb trail on trackables tab of profile listing "This User" rather than username

"Owned" trackables count always zero

When editing a cache listing, cache type is lost and defaults to 'Traditional'

Field Notes banner: Remove number of FN waiting

Standardize Mystery cache terminology (HOTFIX)

When searching for caches from specific coordinates, list of locations appears (HOTFIX)

I am still having the following problem as of 11/05/09 18:30 EST.....

Send to GPX is broken?

I get:

Breadcrumb trail on trackables tab of profile listing "This User" rather than username

When searching for caches from specific coordinates, list of locations appears (HOTFIX)

I am still having the following problem as of 11/05/09 18:30 EST.....

Send to GPX is broken?

I get:

Please make sure you have logged out/in and closed/opened your browser window to start a new session. This is necessary when the site rebuilds. If you still have trouble please reply. Thanks.

Send to GPS is working now. Thank you very much for fixing it!

When I go to upload my field notes, the date next to the box says this:

By default, the site will not upload Field Notes contained in your file before 1/1/0001 5:00:00 AM to reduce accidental duplicate logs. Uncheck the option below to include all Field Notes.

Ignore logs before 1/1/0001 5:00:00 AM

I have tried uploading it with, and without the box checked and it makes no difference.

The date is locked and it uploads everything in my "geocache_visits Text Document" list.

Not sure why it is doing what it is doing and its quite odd. Any ideas why?

I have tried uploading it with, and without the box checked and it makes no difference.

The date is locked and it uploads everything in my "geocache_visits Text Document" list.

It makes no difference because, unless you were around and geocaching at the time of Christ, your field notes are going to be dated after 01/01/0001. You would only see a change if the date came after the date of the logs in your field notes.

Once you upload a set of field notes, this date will change to the latest time stamp in your file. Then, subsequent uploads will ignore those notes posted prior to that time - if the checkbox is checked - in order to avoid potential duplication of uploaded field notes.

Took advantage of the fix to the bookmark to edit a couple of bookmarks. Then I began the laborious process of moving some bookmarks from one list o another and and after moving one, I am getting the following message when I go back tot he original list:

You do not have permissions to view this list.

My other list are OK, just the one I edit some bookmarks and then deleted some other. I did do an undo delete, and then immediately deleted it again after copying the data to the other list. Perhaps the problem is there. (Beginning to think I should've reported this as new problem and not an issue with the new release).

Edited by tozainamboku
Well it worked for about 25 seconds.

I deleted your finds and the date stayed what it showed you.

I uploaded my finds to check it and then deleted them and the date changed back to 01-01-0001 5:00:00 am

Good try though.

I think you are misunderstanding the function of this microfeature. I'm not sure why you saw the date stick after you deleted what I uploaded (perhaps cached in your browser or a side-effect of my spoof of your login), but it is expected that If you delete field notes, it will reset your time back to 01-01-0001. However, if you instead use the field notes (i.e. post them), the date will stick.

Edited by Moun10Bike
Well it worked for about 25 seconds.

I deleted your finds and the date stayed what it showed you.

I uploaded my finds to check it and then deleted them and the date changed back to 01-01-0001 5:00:00 am

Good try though.

I think you are misunderstanding the function of this microfeature. I'm not sure why you saw the date stick after you deleted what I uploaded (perhaps cached in your browser or a side-effect of my spoof of your login), but it is expected that If you delete field notes, it will reset your time back to 01-01-0001. However, if you instead use the field notes (i.e. post them), the date will stick.

The date sticks, but the feature doesn't work... it still imports the logs even though it says it won't. To reproduce, upload a field notes, log them using the field notes feature, then upload the file again -- they are reimported.

Took advantage of the fix to the bookmark to edit a couple of bookmarks. Then I began the laborious process of moving some bookmarks from one list o another and and after moving one, I am getting the following message when I go back tot he original list:

My other list are OK, just the one I edit some bookmarks and then deleted some other. I did do an undo delete, and then immediately deleted it again after copying the data to the other list. Perhaps the problem is there. (Beginning to think I should've reported this as new problem and not an issue with the new release).

Very strange. Can you tell me the name of the list so I can see for myself? Thanks.

Wow, so one person didn't like it wasn't being updated "realtime" and it was removed?

Now there is NO COUNT OF FIELD NOTES ANYWHERE.

The number did not update in real time and was therefore misleading. To force it to update every time you visited the /my/ page was too big a hit to the database so we removed it. Knowing you have some field notes pending is almost as good as knowing how many.

The date sticks, but the feature doesn't work... it still imports the logs even though it says it won't. To reproduce, upload a field notes, log them using the field notes feature, then upload the file again -- they are reimported.

Thanks for clearly describing your issue, benh57. I'll investigate.

I am not seeing this issue. If I upload the same field notes the last one in the file does reimport, but that's because it technically does not fall "before" the cut-off date (it falls precisely on the cut-off date).

Do you have more info to help me repro what you are seeing? Could I perhaps get a copy of the field notes file you are using?

Thanks!

Wow, so one person didn't like it wasn't being updated "realtime" and it was removed?

Now there is NO COUNT OF FIELD NOTES ANYWHERE.

The number did not update in real time and was therefore misleading. To force it to update every time you visited the /my/ page was too big a hit to the database so we removed it. Knowing you have some field notes pending is almost as good as knowing how many.

Based on your reply, since the banner itself isn't real time (it still shows after field notes have been cleared) then the whole banner should have been removed, not the count within.

The complaints I've seen focus on the banner itself, not the count (only one complaint about that).

I have a problem with the GPX tweak done on this site. You have third party software interfacing with your site now and the designers went through a lot of work to make sure the symbols came out correctly per your specs and licensing agreements.

I don't know about other software, but it affects Cache Register and DeLorme's Topo. I typically shake and bake my PQs through GSAK, but tonight I ran a test. I downloaded a PQ and imported it to T8 and all of the caches came up as traditional. None of the puzzles or multi's came out correctly. GSAK still handles them correctly which is nice.

If you're going to make these changes at least have the professional courtesy of advising your third party partners so they can make appropriate changes to their software without being caught blindsided. I've heard the claim is made the GPX format is compliant. Compliancy isn't the issue. Design change without appropriate notice is.

Edited by TotemLake

GPX files are built on the foundation of XML, which by design and purpose is meant to be extensible (that's what the X in XML stands for). If adding cache attribute data to the content of the GPX file causes certain software applications to fail to load the GPX file properly, that's the fault of whoever coded the application, not Groundspeak.

Your complaint would be better aimed at the developers of software that implemented lazy XML parsers which fail to properly take changes to the GPX file format in their stride (as *any* properly coded program would).

Edited by JeremyR

GPX files are built on the foundation of XML, which by design and purpose is meant to be extensible (that's what the X in XML stands for). If adding cache attribute data to the content of the GPX file causes certain software applications to fail to load the GPX file properly, that's the fault of whoever coded the application, not Groundspeak.

Your complaint would be better aimed at the developers of software that implemented lazy XML parsers which fail to properly take changes to the GPX file format in their stride (as *any* properly coded program would).

I was waiting for this response. Re-read the post.

I didn't complain about making design changes nor the compliancy to XML. I complained about the lack of communication of these changes to their partners. Delivery of the PQs without the use of email is a new feature provided by GS. Without knowing how the programming is done, small tweaks now affect the usage of the product that was designed to take advantage of it. Future revenue streaming from other companies that may want to jump in and do the same thing can be affected.

Again, it was about simple lines of communication.

I was waiting for this response. Re-read the post.

I didn't complain about making design changes nor the compliancy to XML. I complained about the lack of communication of these changes to their partners. Delivery of the PQs without the use of email is a new feature provided by GS. Without knowing how the programming is done, small tweaks now affect the usage of the product that was designed to take advantage of it. Future revenue streaming from other companies that may want to jump in and do the same thing can be affected.

I agree, it would have been nice to know that "Unknown" is changed to "Mystery/puzzle". This has nothing to do with XML parsing, it is about how cache types are coded.

12937: add INATN to the software page

Added link to itsnotaboutthenumbers.com

Now, at INATN we get:

1728: GPX files: need attributes

Added geocache attributes to Pocket Queries

12937: add INATN to the software page

Added link to itsnotaboutthenumbers.com

So that happened.

Everything is shut down for now until I can figure out what has crippled the site.

Please help get itsnotaboutthenumbers back up and running. Thanks.

I agree that a heads up on this type of change would be much appreciated. As author of CacheStats, I think CacheStats will be able to handle the GPX changes, but I can't easily test it because I did a my finds PQ earlier this week. Having even just a short notice would be really nice.

Groundspeak, how about replacing the very old pinned discussion in this forum (the one that says shout out if you're a GPX developer), and replace it with a GPX announcements thread? Advantages: easy for GPX developers to follow via RSS, and no people posting asking to be added to the non-existent mailing list. Even if you can't give prior notice, but instead post to the announcments at or shortly after the release, that would still help out because it's one location that people can go to and less likely to get missed as can happen in long release notes. Thanks for considering this.

Very strange. Can you tell me the name of the list so I can see for myself? Thanks.

I've been experiencing a similar problem, but only with my Ignore List. Whenever I attempt to view the list, I get the following message:

In the past, I have always been able to view and edit this list, but now I can't even view the list. Could the bookmark edit fix mentioned in this thread have somehow generated this new issue? In any case, I hope this one can be fixed soon.

I am not seeing this issue. If I upload the same field notes the last one in the file does reimport, but that's because it technically does not fall "before" the cut-off date (it falls precisely on the cut-off date).

Do you have more info to help me repro what you are seeing? Could I perhaps get a copy of the field notes file you are using?

Thanks!

Here's some better steps.

1. Find a bunch of caches (recorded in oregon field notes txt file)

2. Upload the field notes file, but don't log the caches yet.

3. forget to delete the field notes txt file from oregon

4. Find some more caches -- they end up appended in field notes file with the older finds

5. Upload file again

--> All the finds from the first list are duplicated.

Expected behavior: Ignore the finds which were already uploaded. Basically don't let me duplicate finds, that's never something i'd want.

1728: GPX files: need attributes

Added geocache attributes to Pocket Queries

Is there a complete list of all these attributes and their id?

Or is there a reference cache that contains all the attributes?

If not, is there a GPX file available (for hobby developers like me) to test my software?

Is there a complete list of all these attributes and their id?

It's fairly easy to discover them yourself:

Descriptive Name		   ID

*** Permissions:
Dogs						1
Bicycles				   32
Motorcycles				33
Quads					  34
Off-road vehicles		  35
Snowmobiles				36
Horses					 37
Campfires				  38

*** Special Equipment