Good inexpensive swag....

hat_man

Not to take away from other threads here about swag but some are sooooooo long that I just don't have the time to read all the posts in them. I enjoy finding caches with enough room for trading but I do believe in "trade even or trade up." Sometimes I just leave something without trading, but I don't want to leave "junk". Now, I know "junk" to some is "junque" to others so let's not start griping on other peoples ideas, but unfortunately I don't have the same "income" as I used to, and I need some ideas on inexpensive good trade stuff. Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated. Happy Caching.

What is "inexpensive"? Different people seem to have different definition.

You can find some interesting pins on eBay for 50 cents or less each in larger lots. I would recommend placing them in a baggie (2x3 - about 1 cent each in large lots). You could just leave bundles of baggies as well - they're not terribly exciting, but they're useful.

Nail clippers always seem to go over well when I put them in caches. You can usually get them for less than a dollar. They are usually gone from caches pretty quickly, I think because everyone has always just lost some...lol I only get the ones that come in some kind of packaging. That way people who find them know they are new and not used.

Also, clearance sales after holidays are a good time to pick up stuff. I got a bunch of santa hats for 10 cents each last year and have been putting them in caches all this year. So far people have gotten a kick out of finding them. Actually, at clearance sales/aisles any time of year, you can find good stuff.

Garage/yard/rummage sales.

Many unique things can be purchased for less than 1/10th it's original price......... and those things are highly unlikely to be duplicated by the thousands in other caches.

Far better than dumping the same Dollar Store item that you picked up by the case full!

Too, it is a form of recycling!

:rolleyes:

Edit: My auful speeling!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

i have a look around the pound/dollar shops for anything going cheap to add or go into the party section of the supermarket and pick up a bag of something for £1 or £2 quid each time we visit and stock up over time, then it doesnt seem expensive or anything and before you know it you have loads of stuff to put into a cache, also goes the same for cache containers.

Interesting foreign coins. To make it look nicer, put them in a cardboard coin flip (preferably protected by baggie) and print your geocaching handle around it.

Examples include the large British penny from 1967 and earlier, Japanese 5 yen and 50 yen coins, anything from a country considered "exotic" where you're leaving them.

Thank you all. Any more ideas? These are great. I had never thought of rummage sales. I have found some really nice things at the dollar stores but some of it seems "cheap". What kinds of things do you all find helpful in a cache? Batteries,flashlights,extra pens and such. I guess helpful things would rank right up there with neat inexpensive stuff.

I do have a cache out there with some foreign coins in it. I think they do make a good trade item. Thanks Chysalides.

Edited by hat_man

Stuff I've found helpful in caches is stuff like rain poncho's, or little packs of hand wipes.

Kleenex generally isn't a good idea because it can get wet and mold, but I've been very happy to find it in a cache before.

I love finding batteries. I found some once when we were going to get one more cache and then go find a store for batteries. Nice.

I try to think of stuff that I would like to find.

I also like to go on a decluttering campaign and clear out stuff and use that for swag.

I've traded out some really nice stuff for swag this way.

I've found I've got calculators I'm not using, nice crystals, foreign coins, tumbled rock (pretty stuff), nice beads (put into a baggie), even books I've finished reading (in a bag). Unscented candles I've never used, packages of plastic coat hooks I've never used, all sorts of stuff I've found just around my own house.

I am putting together little beading kits. Nothing too fancy but a small kit that could be used to make a friendship bracelet or keychain fob.

I bought bulk and assembling the kits myself. If you had to buy them in a store it would cost somewhere around $2 each.

I'm not trading them, just dropping them.

I am putting together little beading kits. Nothing too fancy but a small kit that could be used to make a friendship bracelet or keychain fob.

That's pretty interesting. I won't make them myself (old eyes, and besides I have the aptitude of a snail for crafts) but I'll trade for them to give to my kids if I see them. Any photos?

Edited by Chrysalides

That's pretty interesting. I won't make them myself (old eyes, and besides I have the aptitude of a snail for crafts) but I'll trade for them to give to my kids if I see them. Any photos?

I will post as soon as they are complete. I still need to print the insert (ie tract ~LOL~) that tells what it is and where to get more patterns for the little key fob designs. I want to make it clear to whoever sees it that I am NOT affiliated with any website promoting free beading designs. I just want to leave gifts.

Here it is

bead1.jpgbead2.jpg

It's just a few hundred beads, a few small silver plated split rings, a yard or so of fishing line and the lizard pattern plus a URL for a website for more patterns.

I collect dice, which means that I tend to buy dice in lots now and then and get all sorts of extras. These extras tend to go into caches. They are small, inexpensive, and (since I go for obscure kinds) don't always look like the ones people are used to. At least children like them.

My son trades for all coings he can find and adds them to his collection, so they are also good swag, especially if you're caching in a foreign country. Then just get rid of your pocket change, a few coins in each cache.

Reflex badges are another useful item that I try to put in caches, expecially now for the darker season. They tend to get lost or matte, so you need new ones regularly.

Trade shows are great for cheap swag. Every time I go to one in my industry (environmental / groundwater services), there is usually an unending supply of squeeze-toys, squirt guns, pens, cheap-o calculators, rulers, that sort of thing, all branded with the name of whatever company. If you are in any kind of business that has a trade show - and have reason to attend - load up. This is especially easy if you hit the floor when folks are breaking down their booths as they'd rather dump the stuff than pack it up.

You could just leave bundles of baggies as well - they're not terribly exciting, but they're useful.

Those would be welcomed by those that like to hide 35mm film cannisters ;)

Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to make something interesting from a 35mm film can. You can get tons of them from your local photo processing store for free (surprisingly, because I thought there's only 5 people left in the world still shooting film and processing them at Costco).

Someone had a link to a film can foghorn a few days ago, but it looks to fragile to survive time in a cache. Besides, I'm not sticking something I found in a cache in my mouth :rolleyes:

Check out your local flea markets. I've been buying what I call wind-up pens; small ball points attached to a little reel which is attached to a d-ring. They can be clipped to a belt loop, etc. A key ring connects the reel and pen to the d-ring. 12 for $10.00. Also, flashlights (9 led) for $1.50. Flea markets are great if you're careful about what you buy. ;)

Thank you all for the great ideas. I enjoy the hunt and the finds (when I can find them lol). I trade when there is room but mostly I like leaving things. It seems that some don't trade even or up. I don't know how many pop tabs and broken keys I have seen in caches. I decided when I started I wasn't going to beone of those folks. These are all excellent ideas and now I know where to look for new goodies. Again thank you all.

Take care and Happy caching

Hat_man

Thank you all for the great ideas. I enjoy the hunt and the finds (when I can find them lol). I trade when there is room but mostly I like leaving things. It seems that some don't trade even or up. I don't know how many pop tabs and broken keys I have seen in caches. I decided when I started I wasn't going to beone of those folks. These are all excellent ideas and now I know where to look for new goodies. Again thank you all.

Take care and Happy caching

Hat_man

"Be the change that you want to see in the world."

- Mohandas Gandhi

I often buy swag items at our local arts and craft store - if you spend some time looking around you can find cheap small items. We also order little toys from an online company, Oriental Trading - it sells in bulk so toys, bouncy balls, glow sticks, and holiday decorative items are very inexpensive.

Hardware, camping, or tool sections of the "big box" department stores sometimes have things like carabiners, folding cups, tiny flashlights, etc at very reasonable cost.

Another idea is to find some inexpensive souvenirs of your home location - sometimes drugstores have a section of tourist things such as keychains, magnets, or postcards. I love to find something from a local area to take as swag when we cache away from home.

Our local geocaching club has some signature things for sale on CafePress, and I order some of the mini-pins to take and leave as swag when we cache on vacation.

I ordered a case of stone arrowheads. I think I got around 50 or so for about $20. Thats about 40 cents each. They make a decent sig item too. :)

E-bay is a great option. You can frequently find 100+/- packs of various things for cheep. Carabiners, LED flashlights, keychains, bottle openers, etc.

I would think swag items could also be different according to the region. This time of year, we tend to drop hand warmers into containers for the winter cachers. We buy them in bulk as we use them for skiing, etc. in the winter months. Also, we start adding individually wrapped bug wipes. In the spring, the best thing I found was one of those as the black flies were attacking my neck. Thank you whoever you are. :)

I've been dropping little kid swag - plastic bugs and rings :) Enough for siblings to each get one.

We just started last week but a few things that my guys have gotten excited over finding:

- a goofy Frankenstein mask

- a quarter

- sidewalk chalk

- bubbles (was just reading posts about bubbles ruining contents of caches)

- a Mickey Mouse card game

Edited by Opalblade

Oriental Trading Company. You can buy inexpensive swag in bulk.

we have a party store called 'nobbies' (not sure if its a chain or not), but i went in to get some goodies... and they had oriental trading company stuff, still in the bulk bags that they'd come in!! At least put your own labels on, sheesh!!! But, yeah, I got a bag of like 500 keychains for about $8.

I've also had really good luck in target's dollar section. it's always going to 75% off. I've gotten multipacks of pencils for 25 cents! they're the cool push the lead thru the bottom kind, with dinosaurs on them!

550 Cord Bracelets:

They are cheap, don't take long to make, useful, and (somewhat) stylish.

What you need:

10 Feet of cord per bracelet. It is sold in various lengths but cheapest if you buy it by the 1,000 ft spool.

550 Cord: http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fus...;category_ID=19

Side Release Buckle (Not necessary but I use them and think they give the bracelet a more 'professional' look.

Again the prices vary depending on how many you buy.

http://cdwplus.com/singleSRB.html

I have accumulated quite a selection of both over time but if you buy 100 buckles ($30) and 1,000 Ft of 550 cord ($48) your price per bracelet comes to under $1 each even with shipping included. These take a little practice to get down but after you make a few your brain gets used to the repitition and you can make them while watching tv, riding in the car, etc.

And finally, here is a pretty good set of instructions on how to make these.

http://www.raems.com/550_cord_bracelet.pdf

I got lots of swag just by walking around the house with a cardboard box and asking, "Do I really need that?" It's surprising how much disposable junk we have lying around.

You'll turn up odd stuff that someone might actually want, like AC adapters, playing cards, Livestrong bracelets, hand tools, shoelaces, etc. etc...

When I started caching I bought 20 items for swag, since I trade even any time I trade I still have 20 items in my swag bag. :huh:

That doesn't work for me. When I find caches with really sad (or no) contents I put some stuff in, and sometimes I trade for stuff that shouldn't have been placed in caches to begin with (perfume today, for instance; candy, old leaves, etc). The swag bag definitely needs replenishing occasionally.