October statistics

holograph

WOW, Arizona is getting close to "done". I thought about making a day trip to fill in some of western NY, but instead planned a trip to Florida for the shuttle launch. :)

Arizona benefits from having large counties and plentiful benchmarks. I tried once to do a coloring scheme based on % of benchmarks recovered, but that merely handicaps a different set of counties that have large numbers of unrecoverable benchmarks, and gives small counties an advantage.

The current scheme is at least easy to understand. Other schemes might require pages of mathematics to explain. B)

As usual, thanks for the great work.

For my part, I can now claim the two easternmost stations in Vermont:

#1) QH0564 "BEECHER TABLET" - NGS link GC link

#2) QH0624 "LOT" - NGS link GC link

BEECHER TABLET was a First to Find (with a DNF in 1971 by the IBC). With no local references and only a rough distance from the top of the hill (which was off by about 25 feet), it would have been hard to find. That, and the confusing and not exactly accurate description: "A BRONZE DISK CEMENTED IN A DRILL HOLE IN A BURIED ROCK". Sure, the rock was buried, but the top of the rock with the mark was above ground. A GPS and metal detector puts us a a great advantage over those who searched even as recently as 30-40 years ago.

LOT was found in 1971, but was still an adventure. See the logs.

While we're on the subject, the following 2 are listed in the top 10 northernmost in New Hampshire:

#2) QH0498 CAMPBELL IBC

#3) QH0541 NW KNOLL IBC

Although listed in New Hampshire, they are actually in Canada so you may want to take them off the list.

And the #1 station should really be MON 475 IBC (QH0502) QH0502. This is listed in Maine, but it defines the northernmost point of the Maine-New Hampshire border. By convention, Maine is listed since it comes alphabetically before New Hampshire, but clearly the point can legitimately be said to be in both states. (Nice thing about points - they have zero size).

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Arizona benefits from having large counties and plentiful benchmarks.

Arizona also benefits from southpawaz having made it a mission to fill in the map, I think :rolleyes:

The last two counties to be "filled in" only have 204 and 169 marks in the database, and many of those may no longer exist -- destroyed or buried by Interstate highway construction, metro expansion, and so on -- so that will make those two counties a little more difficult.

A friend of mine place an unknown cache that requires 25 benchmark finds before you can log a find on the cache. That forced me to try benchmarking. I had only one in my list of finds before that and I found it by accident.

On my first day looking for benchmarks I found 7 including 2 that hadn't been logged before. Looks like I have yet another obsession.

On my first day looking for benchmarks I found 7 including 2 that hadn't been logged before. Looks like I have yet another obsession.
Yep! Sounds like you're hooked! :) Congrats on finding those marks along the railway. Many disks which projected above ground have been destroyed by machinery. But I'm curious about something. What is it that takes the population of Kalamazoo, including new residents, into a certain downtown alley, where sometimes there are "lots of cops" around? [10/11/2009]

-Paul- (Former owner of two Checker Marathons. built in Kalamazoo)

-Paul- (Former owner of two Checker Marathons. built in Kalamazoo)

Hey Paul, something else in common, besides our name... I had a 1962 Checker A-12... a taxi version that was only ever used as a private vehicle. I was the second and one half owner. I'll explain that part if you want.

Edited by 2Jeeps2Jacks