S Korea and Japanese provinces and prefectures

erik88l-r

Please note that geocaching.com has now added a dropdown under "country" to add provinces and prefectures for new caches submitted in Japan and ROK.

This is of course a forced choice for new submissions, as has been the case for the US states and provinces in many other countries. It is also suggested that cache owners go back to their earlier cache pages and add them. That will allow geocachers to filter by province when they search for caches. The benefits will be most apparent when all caches have that information added.

This changeover resulted in a delay of a few days in publishing new caches for ROK and Japan. For that I apologize.

erik - geocaching.com volunteer cache reviewer for Asia

Hi, erik,

I added prefecture information for all my caches. It was a little bit hard work as I have over 80 caches though, :) .

Now most of fellow geocachers seem to be making their best efforts to do that.

It must make it easy for geocachers to choose geocaches hidden in a destination of the day.

And actually, we are racing the number of hidden caches by prefecture now a days.

The change ignited the hiding race, ;) !

By the way, just for our reference,

if possible, could you tell us why did you come to need more time to review with this change?

Is some checking tasks added to review application of new caches?

Many fellow geocachers seem to have a question why recent reviews need more time than before.

Thanks,

chanshira

By the way, just for our reference,

if possible, could you tell us why did you come to need more time to review with this change?

Is some checking tasks added to review application of new caches?

Many fellow geocachers seem to have a question why recent reviews need more time than before.

The only reason more time was initially needed was because we were unaware of the change for a few days. Japanese and ROK caches used to be listed among those from other countries that did not have provinces separated out. When we saw no Japanese or Korean caches we assumed none had been submitted. We did not know they were now listed with the countries that had provinces/states/prefectures. So it was a surprise to see several days worth all at once. :o

Things should now be back to normal, although the volume of Japanese caches has gone up a lot. So that will cause some delay. You guys really don't need to have competition to see which prefecture has the most caches. :lol:

Enjoy!

~erik~

Dear Erik,

Thanks for your response and sorry for the late reply.

And thanks for your explanation. I would like to tell to fellow geocachers.

The number of geocaches is increasing these days but still much less than the number in the U.S.

We are trying to promote geocaching in Japan. Thanks for diffusion of iPhone, the number of geocachers is rapidly increasing from last summer. The increase of number of application may give you reviews a hard time, but thank you very much for your good job!

Happy caching!

Whoo-hoo! I was hoping for an option like this for a while. Thanks!

Edit:

Ooooo, just noticed that this cache ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...94-0a5761383c58 ) is listed under "Tokyo" when it`s clearly in Kyoto - that`s a big difference! Is there any way to fix this sort of thing other than to email the cache owner?

Edited by Happy Bubbles