Antiswag request

frinklabs

I guess I saturated the caches in my area with Canada flag pins:

Passage To The Giants

CanadaFlagPin.jpg

Naw, you're probably just being paranoid. I've seen dozens of those in caches in Southern Ontario. And long before you started caching. I think they're cool, got any more? B)

The guy sounds like he has control issues anyways, seeing as he intends for the cache to be a Geocoin and Travel Bug Prison. Which I had thought were no longer being published, what's up with that?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

you're probably just being paranoid

Maybe. Wouldn't be the first time. I had to go back and look. Of his 37 finds, 12 were previously visited by me and had flags deposited:

Knuckle Scraper

King of Tyre

Valley Forage

Holocaust Wall of Remembrance

The Other Side of York Cemetary

Little Red Riding Rabbit -On the way to Grandma's

Keeping Fit

Which side of the Fence?

Remembrance in York Cemetery

Hippity Hoppity Whooo

Burnett Parkette

Young Finch

fradar.gif

The owner's a fairly new cacher so I'd be tempted to leave a polite, hand-scripted note, written on vellum and illuminated with small coloured pictures of geocaching-related artifacts, which says,

"Please remove the restrictions regarding the movement of trackable items from the description of your new geocache."

and then add in your Canada pin. B)

MrsB

I would be tempted to find the cache and leave a whole bag of Canada pins in it.

That would be hilarious - but then again, I have a weird sense of humor :)

Shame about the cost of an air fare to Canada ...

Although it is under 2 miles from relatives I've not seen in a while....

B)

Edited by HouseOfDragons

I guess I saturated the caches in my area with Canada flag pins:

Passage To The Giants

CanadaFlagPin.jpg

Get an extra large Canadian Flag Pin, one that takes up the whole container, attach a TB tag to it; place it in cache and see if that meets the anti-ALR requiremants?

But seriously, I would love to have something like those left behind for swag, as a matter of fact we have the US version of you here in my area.

Sent this to the reviewer that approved the cache....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC20KVH

This cache has a requirement that if you take a tb/coin you need to leave one in it's place, which is against the regulations. Bugs and coins are meant to be travellers and no trade is required to leave one.

Can you please contact the cache owner and ask him to change this 'requirement' on his cache?

Thanks,

Naomi Olofsson, Mousekakat

Kind of on-topic, seeing as it's a story about a Canada pin...

Last year myself, the wife and our 3 year old went to visit wify's friend in Boston for the 4th of July. We cut through Canada from Michigan on the 3rd, about 10:00 in the evening. There were a lot of fireworks at the bridge, which our daughter really enjoyed as we were waiting in line. Neither the wife nor I could figure out why Canada would be celebrating the 4th of July.

When we got to the border guard, she was kind of crabby. To brighten her evening (because hey, a conversation with me will brighten ANYBODY's evening!), I asked what the fireworks were for. She replied, Canada Day.

Oh, well, Happy Canada Day I beamed at her. She actually cracked a smile and gave my daughter the exact pin pictured above. She still has it in her tray in the car and when she sees it she says she wants to go back to Canada and see the fireworks!

you might could interpret it as maybe hoping to get foreign stuff; i think i went to a cache once where they asked for items from anywhere but the US or canada.

After re-reading the cache page, I can agree with that. See, I said the OP was just being paranoid.

But also after re-reading, this is one authoritative newb, man. He has instituted, in his words "two important rules for this cache" (which of course aren't allowed, but he got away with), and he seems indifferent to providing a writing utensil in a regular?

The guy sounds like he has control issues anyways, seeing as he intends for the cache to be a Geocoin and Travel Bug Prison. Which I had thought were no longer being published, what's up with that?

On top of that it's a poor location to collect travelers.

Stealth is highly recommended for this cache

I would be tempted to find the cache and leave a whole bag of Canada pins in it.

The owner's a fairly new cacher so I'd be tempted to leave a polite, hand-scripted note, written on vellum and illuminated with small coloured pictures of geocaching-related artifacts, which says,

"Please remove the restrictions regarding the movement of trackable items from the description of your new geocache."

and then add in your Canada pin. ;)

MrsB

You guys (and gals) are such rebels. I like it. :rolleyes:

and then add in your Canada pin. :)

MrsB

You guys (and gals) are such rebels. I like it. :D

(hi-fives fellow Brit and gal)

and then add in your Canada pin. :D

MrsB

You guys (and gals) are such rebels. I like it. :D

(hi-fives fellow Brit and gal)

^5 :)

Good afternoon folks,

VirusZero the CO here. I've just been alerted by the cache's volunteer moderator to the fact that they originally should have explained the "no rules" policy on the placement of caches or any finds/leaves within them. The moderator has asked me to edit the cache setting and I've done so with no hesitation or arguments. I don't log on to the forums at all, I just search for my caches in the areas that I go to, do my caching and leave. I'm sure my records indicate that I'm a newbie. Some of those who share the approximate neighborhood in which I live (hello, frinklabs) have already pointed it out.

So when I was told about the forum topic being up for a few days, well needless to say curiosity took the better part of me. Having read the discussion, I'd just like to point out a few things:

1) I'm not an authoritative newb, nor am I indifferent to providing a writing utensil. I'm just a newb. The "very important rules" comment (TheWhiteUrkel) isn't of any significance to the authoritativeness of my personality or the enforcement of self-appointed GC rules. As I'd said before, this is my first full sized cache container and anyone who's just started the game is bound to trip and fall on the little things.

2) I'm also aware of the fact that some caches out in the GTA are have been "coin banks" or "bug prisons" in the past...none of these have I explored or wish to do so. As I explained to someone who had logged in a complaint, my initial completely innocent suggestion was to make this a travel "terminal" where GCs and TBs can easily be retrieved and taken off on their journey to their destination. If this irks fellow cachers, then the least I can do is leave as polite an apology/comment as I can and work according to the community's rules.

I just find it rather disheartening, though, that a community that prides itself on being one of the most friendly in the world could get into such mean spirits on a forum!

I mean honestly, you see the guy's a newb...if you're more experienced and have done this for several hundred cache finds/hides, wouldn't a simple private message have done the trick? Instead a week in I find a moderator telling me that he should have noticed the error and that he's been getting private mail complaints about the hide with a forum topic having been started.

Granted, It's rather obvious now that direct contact wasn't established because analyses of me being a supposed control freak might have made other geocachers feel intimidated about talking to me about it.

Well I'm here to say this now: I'm here to enjoy the sport just as much as you do...and if geocaching is as good a combination of the spirits of both teamwork and competition as everyone (including myself) markets it out to be, then the very least that could have been done was one of the more experienced geocachers who have seen and logged their complaints to have initially come to the proverbial wetness behind my ears with a kleenex and say: "This is how you do it." then hand me the kleenex so I can do it myself, rather than continue to have others have a go at me.

I'm not here to make caching enemies, folks. I'm just here to enjoy my hobby with other like-minded individuals, maybe even make a few good friends in the process. Have a nice day.

Good afternoon folks,

VirusZero the CO here. I've just been alerted by the cache's volunteer moderator to the fact that they originally should have explained the "no rules" policy on the placement of caches or any finds/leaves within them. The moderator has asked me to edit the cache setting and I've done so with no hesitation or arguments. I don't log on to the forums at all, I just search for my caches in the areas that I go to, do my caching and leave. I'm sure my records indicate that I'm a newbie. Some of those who share the approximate neighborhood in which I live (hello, frinklabs) have already pointed it out.

So when I was told about the forum topic being up for a few days, well needless to say curiosity took the better part of me. Having read the discussion, I'd just like to point out a few things:

1) I'm not an authoritative newb, nor am I indifferent to providing a writing utensil. I'm just a newb. The "very important rules" comment (TheWhiteUrkel) isn't of any significance to the authoritativeness of my personality or the enforcement of self-appointed GC rules. As I'd said before, this is my first full sized cache container and anyone who's just started the game is bound to trip and fall on the little things.

2) I'm also aware of the fact that some caches out in the GTA are have been "coin banks" or "bug prisons" in the past...none of these have I explored or wish to do so. As I explained to someone who had logged in a complaint, my initial completely innocent suggestion was to make this a travel "terminal" where GCs and TBs can easily be retrieved and taken off on their journey to their destination. If this irks fellow cachers, then the least I can do is leave as polite an apology/comment as I can and work according to the community's rules.

I just find it rather disheartening, though, that a community that prides itself on being one of the most friendly in the world could get into such mean spirits on a forum!

I mean honestly, you see the guy's a newb...if you're more experienced and have done this for several hundred cache finds/hides, wouldn't a simple private message have done the trick? Instead a week in I find a moderator telling me that he should have noticed the error and that he's been getting private mail complaints about the hide with a forum topic having been started.

Granted, It's rather obvious now that direct contact wasn't established because analyses of me being a supposed control freak might have made other geocachers feel intimidated about talking to me about it.

Well I'm here to say this now: I'm here to enjoy the sport just as much as you do...and if geocaching is as good a combination of the spirits of both teamwork and competition as everyone (including myself) markets it out to be, then the very least that could have been done was one of the more experienced geocachers who have seen and logged their complaints to have initially come to the proverbial wetness behind my ears with a kleenex and say: "This is how you do it." then hand me the kleenex so I can do it myself, rather than continue to have others have a go at me.

I'm not here to make caching enemies, folks. I'm just here to enjoy my hobby with other like-minded individuals, maybe even make a few good friends in the process. Have a nice day.

First off thank you for changing your cache, yeah the TBs are free.

Second off welcome to the forums. Where your free to have your own opinion, just realize that everyone else will probably bite your head off for it. :laughing:

The forums is just a place to discuss caches and everything geocaching, every once in a while a thread pops up about TB prisons and so on. Was it right to go right to the forum without contacting you...no, but I am sure that the OP didn't mean to cause any harm, I thought he was more making a funny point about the Canadian pins than complaining about the cache, at least that is how I took this thread.

First off thank you for changing your cache, yeah the TBs are free.

Second off welcome to the forums. Where your free to have your own opinion, just realize that everyone else will probably bite your head off for it. :laughing:

The forums is just a place to discuss caches and everything geocaching, every once in a while a thread pops up about TB prisons and so on. Was it right to go right to the forum without contacting you...no, but I am sure that the OP didn't mean to cause any harm, I thought he was more making a funny point about the Canadian pins than complaining about the cache, at least that is how I took this thread.

Thanks for the welcome Col. Flagg. I don't wish to immerse myself too much in the forums. I prefer the personal touch in communication because it makes for better communication without too many cooks spoiling the broth...plus for the past ten years I've been a forum moderator elsewhere and I know the sort of arguments and attitudes that develop from hiding behind that line of defense. I don't plan on spending too much time on here. Like I said, I do my cache searches on the main page, look for the cache, then come back to log it.

It would have been nice to receive personal messages about people's complaints, it would have made for perhaps a chance to know someone better and be acquainted with them, even become friends in real life. For a newb, having someone ridicule you or complain about you behind your back doesn't make for a very good first impression. I'm sure you agree. I mean I understand how people get passionate and competitive with these things, but give a guy a break, y'know?

To use your Col. Flagg name as an ice-breaker now, for example, I was actually going to refer to the way people are thinking of me as a control freak in my first posting by comparing myself to Frank Burns, but I didn't cause I wasn't sure how many people would get the reference right away. You understand what I mean ;-)

Thanks again.

I can't speak for others (and if they know me, they wouldn't let me speak for them anyway) but I thought the initial post was intended more in humor about his signature swag being targeted. Yeah, some people can be pretty mean, I'm sorry to say. But bear in mind the people calling you names is hardly a representative section of the geocaching population, or even the forum regulars.

I hope this incident doesn't sour you towards geocaching or the forums. The important thing, perhaps the only important thing, about this hobby, is to have fun and not take things too seriously.

Edit : I got to admit - I'm curious (and amused) about the "no Canada pin" request. Why?

Edited by Chrysalides

Good afternoon folks,

So sorry, I almost didn't see this before it dropped of the first page probably forever. Blame that crazy "Rogue Reviewer" thread. :)

Please accept my sincere apologies for the "authoritative newbie" response! Thinking back, I can say it was probably made with the thought in the back of my head that the cache owner would never see it. I was joking however. I would actually say something like that to you in person, but of course in a jovial manner you'd expect from a harmless smart-aleck type.

The Original Poster probably hasn't seen this either, and I'm sure he was just making light of the situation with the pins, as others have said.

As far as instituting a "take one leave one rule", this has been done thousands of times. And don't think you thought of this rule just because you were a newbie. I've seen many a cacher with thousands of finds and dozens of hides put that rule in place. It's only within the past year or so that "rules" (what we call ALR's or Additional Logging Requirements) have been discontinued by Geocaching.com. Before that time, take one leave one rules were always universally scorned upon in these forums, but thousands of people still came up with that rule and put it on their cache pages though.

And I totally disagree with people "tattling" on you and contacting your reviewer, which I see at least one person admits to, and there may have been more.

Welcome, and happy caching!!

Yes -Welcome, VirusZero...

... I was joking however.

As I was, with my remark about leaving you a hand-illuminated note to remove the trading restrictions. You've got to be careful about what sort of advice you put in tracts in caches: Did you see that topic about it? - Fortunately it eventually turned to much less sensitive issues regarding cats and bacon. *phew*

... And I totally disagree with people "tattling" on you and contacting your reviewer, which I see at least one person admits to, and there may have been more.

Yep. IMHO a pleasant email direct to the cache owner, preferably from a local cacher, explaining such matters would be a better first step in getting such restrictions removed.

MrsB :)

It would have been nice to receive personal messages about people's complaints, it would have made for perhaps a chance to know someone better and be acquainted with them, even become friends in real life. For a newb, having someone ridicule you or complain about you behind your back doesn't make for a very good first impression. I'm sure you agree. I mean I understand how people get passionate and competitive with these things, but give a guy a break, y'know?

Did you write to frinklabs before singling out the Canada flag pin signature item on your cache page? If you didn't, then you ought to follow your own advice. Had you done so, there would likely have been no forum thread.