Newbie here and completely lost

Hrhodes78

I'm trying to go on my first ever cache so I bought a GPS (Lowrance, Endura, Safari) and I have no idea how to use it.

I upgraded to a premium member thinking it might be easier to download stuff but I don't know how and I cant tell from my GPS if any files have downloaded! On the box it says geocaching.com compatible but I have not seen evidence of that at all.

What I would like to do is see if anyone is in my area so we can meet up or talk on the phone or something. I tried to go to Best Buy and the Mac store to see if they could help and they cannot.

I am so frustrated!

Please someone help!

Thanks,

Holly

Hi & welcome to Geocaching B)

First of all,, wohhaa!!! Slow down dude! :) You're trying to take it ALL in at the same time & it's definitely gonna overwhelm you.

First of all you just bought a brand new GPSr, quite possibly the first one you ever owned(?) To get started, read the owners manual cover-to-cover and get to know the device. Forget about Geocaching until you get a foothold on the GPSr.

After that you can move up a notch & figure how how this sport/hobby/obsession works :)

Good luck & ask away if you have an questions!

I'm trying to go on my first ever cache so I bought a GPS (Lowrance, Endura, Safari) and I have no idea how to use it.

I upgraded to a premium member thinking it might be easier to download stuff but I don't know how and I cant tell from my GPS if any files have downloaded! On the box it says geocaching.com compatible but I have not seen evidence of that at all.

What I would like to do is see if anyone is in my area so we can meet up or talk on the phone or something. I tried to go to Best Buy and the Mac store to see if they could help and they cannot.

I am so frustrated!

Please someone help!

Thanks,

Holly

I am so frustrated!

Please someone help!

Thanks,

Holly

I am so frustrated!

Please someone help!

Thanks,

Holly

You could try the local Houston forum...

Houston GeoCaching Society

There are several helpful Houston area cachers that I'm sure could get you on the right track. Be sure to mention what part of town you are in so that someone close to you can reply.

hi hrrodes , i'm a newbie also, i'll have to admit there right in telling you to read the manual ,that will get you to operate your gps it might take you a fews day but you'll get there. i just bought a garmin legand hcx and that took me about a week now i understand it , i basicly use it for caching and all the other stuff in it i haven't even touched. just start from scratch and take it step by step.

If you simply want to find one single cache, do not even worry about downloads etc etc. You are making things unnessecarily complicated for yourself.

Look in you manual for the page that says ' How to mark a waypoint'.

Following the instructions therein for manually entering co-ords, using the co-ordinates that are on the cache page of the cache you want to hunt.

Select ' GOTO' or whatever the Lowerance equivalent is. (we have a garmin) and follow the arrow.

Choose a cache that is difficulty 1.5, terrain 1.5 size regular (or at least small and definately NOT a micro or nano). Look for one that is located in a local park or nature area rather than an urban area.

Figure out all the other stuff later.

The only thing we knew how to do when we left the store with our band new GPS in hand was how to manually enter co-ordinates. We found our first cache (a virtual) with it about 15 minutes later. (we'd already found three others just with local knowledge.)

Annie

where is your area im in albany ny i would willing

Clicking upon the user name reveals their location unless they have chosen to not reveal it.

Houston, Tx. in this case.

I believe that was stated in post #3. Reading the entire thread before posting is a good way to avoid posting redundant information.

OT: I would just stick to basics until you learn exactly how your GPS works. Like others have said... you can learn the rest later. Have fun.

I'd like to add something here. Do not waste your time and enthusiasm trying to get a complete understanding of your unit by reading the manual. Lowrance makes a good GPS but they write a poor manual. I own an Expedition C and it sat on a shelf for over a year because I couldn't figure it out and wasted many hours trying. Don't make the same mistake.

My manual doesn't address manually entering a waypoint. I learned that here. Lots of good folks and solid information. Start with the basics and go caching, you will learn as you play.

So, you live in Texas? The Lowrance will get you to the outhouse in a whiteout blizzard, and that's where the manual belongs- hanging on a nail.

Try a garmin Map 60CSx.....I believe it is the best all around GPSr................but don't take my word. try one...Stay safe and good luck....One day at a time....

Hey Wild Thing..I just bought a Garmin Map 60CSx and am a newbie also. Do I need to buy additional maps for this? The map that's loaded on it does not seem to be detailed enough. I figured out how to download the cache locations but am a bit confused on how to locate the caches themselves. Can you help?

Do not waste your time and enthusiasm trying to get a complete understanding of your unit by reading the manual. ...The Lowrance will get you to the outhouse in a whiteout blizzard, and that's where the manual belongs.

I've always found user manuals of fun toys to be good bathroom reading. It's a great place to read something you're interested in, but probably won't ever actually get around to spend any time with otherwise...

So far I've used 4 different GPSr's in the 14 months I've been geocaching. The one thing that the first 3 all have in common is that the owners manual that came with them are pretty useless. What I discovered was that by going to the GPSr manufacturers website I could find much more informative owners manuals there. Simply download a copy of the online owners manual and I'm confident it will prove to be more helpful than the one that came with your GPSr (well I'm not familar with your model GPSr, but I'm assuming it's like most others and comes with a near worthless owners manual). After downloading the online owners manual then the advice to search out you local geocaching organization would be very high on my list of priorities of things to do in the near future. Welcome to the game and have fun!!!! ;)

So far I've used 4 different GPSr's in the 14 months I've been geocaching. The one thing that the first 3 all have in common is that the owners manual that came with them are pretty useless. What I discovered was that by going to the GPSr manufacturers website I could find much more informative owners manuals there. Simply download a copy of the online owners manual and I'm confident it will prove to be more helpful than the one that came with your GPSr (well I'm not familar with your model GPSr, but I'm assuming it's like most others and comes with a near worthless owners manual). After downloading the online owners manual then the advice to search out you local geocaching organization would be very high on my list of priorities of things to do in the near future. Welcome to the game and have fun!!!! :)

Thank you everyone! You've been great. THe manual I got is useless, I'm very impatient. My friend figured out the issue and I'm rollin now! As soon as the problem was solved I went on 4 caches immediately! So fun!