Whinc GPS should I buy?

kea3

I have been caching w an iphone for several months now and it works very well. At times it seems to take me to a more direct path and quicker than some fellow cachers. The units they seem to have are the Colorado, and Oregon. I know nothing about GPS units and would like to purchase one in order to hide caches, and MAYBE use it as well to find caches, if it proves better than the iphone. So, why not start with the best and learn on that one! More specifically, each one has several different model numbers, so doubly confusing. Which is the best, and which model w what features/software should I purchase?

Thanks for the help, I so don't have a clue.

Hmm. You want to know which is the best. That's easy it's the one I use and prefer! Just joking. As you've noted the Garmin brand has a lot of higher and mid range units that have a very loyal following. Personally I'm not familar with them so others will need to discuss those units.

I don't know your specific wish list of functions you'd like to have on a GPSr or budget, but personally I'm partial to the Delorme PN-30 or PN-40 GPSr's. If you dig through some of the older threads here in this forum you can find those units and lots of others discussed pretty thoroughly.

To get the best advice you can get you may want to list your wish list of functions for a GPSr, your budget, your computers operating system, if you plan on caching outside of the U.S. (if so exensively or maybe only once or twice????), whether routing on the roads is critical to have or ok if it's available or you could care less one way or the other, is the ability to download aerial imagery to your GPSr important to you, is a touch screen important, do you only want the biggest screen size or is that not crucial to you or any other info you can let folks know so they can maybe be more helpful to you.

Good luck in your search for the perfect GPSr for you! B)

Hmm. You want to know which is the best. That's easy it's the one I use and prefer! Just joking. As you've noted the Garmin brand has a lot of higher and mid range units that have a very loyal following. Personally I'm not familar with them so others will need to discuss those units.

I don't know your specific wish list of functions you'd like to have on a GPSr or budget, but personally I'm partial to the Delorme PN-30 or PN-40 GPSr's. If you dig through some of the older threads here in this forum you can find those units and lots of others discussed pretty thoroughly.

To get the best advice you can get you may want to list your wish list of functions for a GPSr, your budget, your computers operating system, if you plan on caching outside of the U.S. (if so exensively or maybe only once or twice????), whether routing on the roads is critical to have or ok if it's available or you could care less one way or the other, is the ability to download aerial imagery to your GPSr important to you, is a touch screen important, do you only want the biggest screen size or is that not crucial to you or any other info you can let folks know so they can maybe be more helpful to you.

Good luck in your search for the perfect GPSr for you! :rolleyes:

Price range is not a problem, but knowing what features is. I am not familiar with any so I do not know. HMM...seems like a big touch screen would be nice, however if there r others that work better than that doesn't have to be an issue. I will probably cache outside the US only once or twice if I am lucky. As for as maps, downloading ariel imagery sounds nice if it is a usefull tool. I do know that I do want preloaded software that has good navigational maps for driving directions and hiking just in case I choose to use that. I guess my bigest concern is accuracy for placing hides, second would b why not get all the practical software/bells and whistles to check out and use just in case.

Thanks for the help.