Multicache

malo mystery

Firstly, to put this into perspective, I am currently a GPSless cacher and also a wanting to hide my first cache - yes all very slow I know.

The usual multicaches seem to be in the method of find the first cache which gives the co-ords/clue to the next one etc and following your way to the final. I was thinking about rather having many waypoints giving all the co-ords of all the caches in the multi (obviously excluding the final). Each cache would have to have a vital part in the calculation of the final co-ords, forcing people to find them all.

The benefits seeme to be:

B) 1. Not having to enter co-ords while out in the field (except the final) but rather downloading the waypoints directly to GPS

:anicute: 2. Being able to pick up any caches in any order at the cachers convenience (particularly if they are over quite a wide area)

B) 3. If the caches are in closer proximity and the cacher is struggling with one they can always attempt some others and maybe return to the problem cache later.

:laughing: 4. If some of the caches are of a higher terrain difficulty, you could do those seperately (maybe without the kids/dogs/grandma) and bring the kids with for the easier ones.

Downfalls seem to be:

:rolleyes: 1. Not really being able to force the cacher to do the caches in a specific order thereby following a predetermined route.

This might have been done already, just that I can't recall having seen it anywhere.

I know that this would help me as a Google Earth cacher but I was just wondering if cachers would prefer this and whether there might be more problems that I have not thought of? Any input or advice will be appreciated.

Mike

Hi malo mystery

Your idée is not new….the ones I can recall quickly is the Tonteldoos series and the Reporters riddle of Global Rat.

The main problem with a series to get to the final is if one cache gets muggled, the cachers will have no way of getting to the final.

Thanks RedGlobe, for your reply, I realise you have alot more experience than me in this so maybe I am asking my query in the wrong way. I have looked at some of those multis that you were refering to "tonteldoos" and "reporters riddle" and those seem exactly like the type I have seen before where you start at cache 1 and that tells you where cache 2 is and you enter the co-ords and head off for cache 2, find it and that tells you where caceh 3 is, enter the co-ords and off you go until you find the final.

I was wondering about giving all the waypoints of all the parts of the multi on the webpage that can be loaded straight onto your GPSr by a pocket query or however you do that from the page at home. Then when you head out into the field you have this info already loaded onto your GPS, you dont have to manually do it while you are out caching after you find each part of the multi. You would still need to find all parts of the multi because they would all contain vital parts of the co-ords to the final.

Some caches are spread out over quite a large area, and I might have driven past all parts of the multi several times but because I havent done the previous part of the multi I would not know this. If I knew where all the stages were then I can do any of them at my leisure or when I am in the area, whereas in the usual first to second to third manner this would not be possible. So with the method I am asking about you might drive past part 4 and you GPSr would alert you of that even though you have not done the first three parts, you would still have to do the first three parts because they would all still have essential info/clues to solving the final.

Mike

Some caches are spread out over quite a large area, and I might have driven past all parts of the multi several times but because I havent done the previous part of the multi I would not know this. If I knew where all the stages were then I can do any of them at my leisure or when I am in the area, whereas in the usual first to second to third manner this would not be possible. So with the method I am asking about you might drive past part 4 and you GPSr would alert you of that even though you have not done the first three parts, you would still have to do the first three parts because they would all still have essential info/clues to solving the final.

No problem with that at all - I've seen several multis like that, and they do have the advantages that you've mentioned. However, RedGlobe does have a very valid point, and a multi that has several caches as waypoints is very frail because the final find relies on every other stage being available. The solution could be to use virtual waypoints - instead of hiding a container that can be muggled, finders would need to get a clue off a sign or something already there (and more permanent than your container is likely to be...). The other advantage of using virtual waypoints is that they do not have to be 161m from another cache which physical containers used as multi waypoints need to be.

Here's an example of that sort of cache

You mentioned that you are GPS-less at the moment. Just need to mention that you'll have to borrow a GPS to set up a cache of your own because the co-ords have to be taken using a GPS. Google Earth co-ords are not satisfactory for listing a cache - guideline (para 2)

There are many ways to set up a multi. It all depends on what you want to achieve with the cache/s and what you want the cache finder to experience. Any new ideas are welcome as long as they fall within the guidelines as set out on the Geocaching website for cache placements.

I think it is important with multi's that there is a purpose to the waypoints, be it random or sequenced, i.e. some scenic walk or hike, some historic thread, places of interest etc. Creating a multi just for the sake of a multi and some random waypoints can detract from a cache. There are some sneaky and subtle multi's out there too :rolleyes: Above all, enjoy B)

Here in Edenvale, on the east rand, we had "The Amazing Cache". This was a series of 5 or 6 caches, based on the "Amazing Race" which was very much liked by the people who had done them. By the time I started caching one of them was gone, and thus no way for me to complete the series. Also many of the waypoints were missing, and the people who were completing some of them, had to get help from people who had completed them before to get past the missing waypoints.

So if you do something like this do it close to home, so you can keep an eye on it, or create a waypoint similar to what Urban Hunters did with "Gautrain: Site Visit" GC1QMHY. (Sorry cant give it away)

Edited by DamhuisClan