TB not in cache

glorkar

I went looking for a cache last night specifically for a TB that was listed in it. When I got there, it was not in the cache. It was placed on 9/13. I flipped through the log book and there is a second log on the 13th for a different cacher where they stated that they took the bug. They haven't logged it online at all. I was wonder what the proper (our group concensous) procedure is for getting the issue resolved. I hate to see it go MIA when it is clear who took it.

So far all I've done is contact the person that said they took it with a gentle nudge to log it online. It looks like they have not logged on since 10/13 though, so I'm not sure how long it will take for them to get the message.

Unfortunately I believe this happens all to often. I personally have gone after caches for the same reason, to get the TB or Geocoin, only to find that they have gone MIA. The only thing that I know to do is post a note on the trackable's webpage saying that it is missing. (BTW, in the slot where you're required to put the code, put the reference number to post the note.) As for contacting the person who took it, I think that what you've already done is probably the best you can do. Now, it's up to the owner of the TB. I've had one of my TBs go missing, and two are being held. Let's just hope that the person who picked them up will eventually log back on.

Tactful email usually, but not always works. Some people just forget. :rolleyes:

Yep. "Hi! I was out at cache xyz and I happened to notice you picked up the travel bug abc. Have you had a chance to log it yet? Please let me know if you need any help moving it along. Happy Caching!"

Edited by BlueDeuce

Tactful email usually, but not always works. Some people just forget. :rolleyes:

Yep. "Hi! I was out at cache xyz and I happened to notice you picked up the travel bug abc. Have you had a chance to log it yet? Please let me know if you need any help moving it along. Happy Caching!"

Sounds good to me. B) You used to be able to do this all the time in the "olden days" when people actually wrote something more than scribbling their username and a date in the logbook. I once traced a missing TB from one of my own caches to a user who never logged caches online. Where do you live that people actually write that they took a TB from the cache in the logbook? Don't answer that, I'm just kidding. Do what BD said.

... So far all I've done is contact the person that said they took it with a gentle nudge to log it online...

Contacting them and asking for it to be moved is about all that you can do, and if you can't contact them there's nothing you can do.

I feel your pain... my TB Northern Exposure traveled from New Orleans to the Arctic Circle and was on his way home when he got picked up by someone like this.

After a while I emailed and asked them to turn it loose. The reply was something along the lines of "Sorry, but my dog likes it for a chew toy, I can't let it go".

After briefly considering a road trip and the illegal-but-satisfying employment of a baseball bat you just have to accept Rambler's Mantra:

The best part of geocaching is that anyone can participate.

The worst part of geocaching is that anyone can participate!

Not much more you can do.

EDIT: From the log postings, it doesn't look like they had even posted their visit online! (Guessing at which cache it was in, but I see your "nudge")

They did actually log the cache find (before the person who dropped the TB.) This was the note I sent to them:

Hi, we recently found a cache that "has" a TB in it that you signed the log as taking. Just a friendly reminder to log it (in case you forgot B) )
I then gave the TB info. Should I wait to post a note on the bug page, or do it right away?