60CSx at NewEgg - Caveat Emptor

JSWilson64

After hearing of the switch of the 60CSx chipset from SirfStar III to (something else?), I thought I'd see what my favorite online merchant had listed.

NewEgg's website lists the 60CSx chipset as the SirfStar III (just re-checked today). However, they have a fairly restrictive (ok, really restrictive) return policy listed for most GPS units. 30 days, replacement-only, no refund. That might be enough to turn someone off, but if you were to persist in a purchase to get a real SirfStar III unit ($289 is an OK price and only 2 bucks to ship to my ZIP). buyer beware.

I opened a customer-service chat window, and asked about what the specs the CSR could pull up said the unit. "She" confirmed that it said SirfStar III. That was about all the rep was unambiguous about. I asked that if I received it and it did not have the specs that were listed on the web site, would it be returnable. I got two answers - if it is not as listed, sure it can be replaced. But if I'm returning it because of a different version number, then no it's not returnable.

I'm not sure whether the models with the new chipset are even in the pipeline yet, but I guess if I were to buy another 60CSx at this point, I wouldn't part with my cash until I could boot it up and verify the firmware version for myself.

Just one more thing to consider: My new 60csx arrived in a box clearly marked as "sirfstar technology". However it has mediatek chipset. This might be a valid reason for refund.

Since I was already a bit frustrated with the vendor I just decided to cut my losses and keep it. Other than a bit slow satellite aquisition (up to 30-40 seconds in poor conditions, less than 15 with good reception) it seems to work pretty well - accuracy and sensitivity seems to be comparable to sirf, although I have not been able to make a side-by side test.

Which MediaTek? MTK1 or the new MTK2?

I have both SiRF III and MTK2 Bluetooth pucks - the MTK2 blows away the SiRF in lock times, sensitivity, and accuracy. When using the MTK2 as a datalogger, I can tell which lane I was in on the highway if I log a drive, and could even see where I switched lanes to pass someone when I pulled up the log in Google Earth. I think even the old MTK1 was slightly better than the SiRF III.

Which MediaTek? MTK1 or the new MTK2?

I have both SiRF III and MTK2 Bluetooth pucks - the MTK2 blows away the SiRF in lock times, sensitivity, and accuracy. When using the MTK2 as a datalogger, I can tell which lane I was in on the highway if I log a drive, and could even see where I switched lanes to pass someone when I pulled up the log in Google Earth. I think even the old MTK1 was slightly better than the SiRF III.

Dont tell the 60Csx owners this, to some if it doesnt have the Sirf chip its trash, even if you have to give up newer better everything else to keep the old chip...some people have a hard time moving on, not all but some

Gosh....I just received my 60csx today, ordered last friday from Newegg. Where do I check to find my version number?

Soarfoot

It should show SirF Technology blurb at the bottom of the startup page. Also, press menu/menu/setup/system/menu/software version. GPS SW Version ends in S = SirF. Ends in M = MediaTek.

Edited by Klatch