Lowrance Ifinder Expedition C Question

Hey all,

With help I've been able to get the unit to display the following: cache name, cache size, find/terrain difficulty, hint, coordinates, altitude,time, distance and bearing. I was pretty happy with this until last week when the unit displayed a cache hint of about 200 characters. Now I'm thinking I have capacity that I'm not using and looking for a way to better utilize it.

Any ideas? I don't use the altitude (live in Florida) or time data. I would like to get last find/dnf dates and cache owner name displayed.

I'm taking PQ's to GSAK and downloading them to a data card. I am having a hard time with GSAK, but learning, I'm not a very technical person.

Also I realize this unit is not capable of going paperless, I'm just trying to max out it's ability. Sometimes we have a little time, pick up the gps and see if there is a cache in the area-you know. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Are you using the free GPX to USR utility available from the Lowrance site?

Hey Indotguy,

This is the first I've heard of it. I did download and experiment with it but the results have me a little confused. I ran a zip file (PQ) with around 300 caches and it picked out the waypoints (3) and converted them only. Also the menu for info displayed didn't offer logs or find/dnf info, and I can't figure out how to access settings. I'm thinking it may be a Vista thing as it's not mentioned in their list of operating systems.

Any thoughts?

I really don't understand how the utility is only converted three waypoints from the 300. Maybe it has something to do with your GSAK set up. I don't believe it's an OS issue. The menu of the GPX to USR utility offers all fields the iFinder units are capable of displaying. As you said, they are not capable of being truly paperless. The iFInders are not designed to display logs, descriptions, etc.

Are you using the free GPX to USR utility available from the Lowrance site?

Hey Indotguy,

This is the first I've heard of it. I did download and experiment with it but the results have me a little confused. I ran a zip file (PQ) with around 300 caches and it picked out the waypoints (3) and converted them only. Also the menu for info displayed didn't offer logs or find/dnf info, and I can't figure out how to access settings. I'm thinking it may be a Vista thing as it's not mentioned in their list of operating systems.

Any thoughts?

I don't use any software besides GPXtoUSR. Get your PQ from geocaching.com, load the GPX file, then before you convert it go to the boxes on the left side and uncheck everything but name and waypoint code. Then go to the boxes on the right side and uncheck everything but hints. When you load the USR file in the GPS and go to find, on the first screen you will see the name of the cache and the GC number. You may have to scroll left and right to read the whole line. When you pick a waypoint, on the next screen where it gives you the choice of what you want to do it will show you the hint if there is one.

You can pick out other choices when you run GPXtoUSR if you want, but that's the way I do it.

bobandrobin: I've been interested in how I can get my Expedition C to display more info besides the name and the location. A little about me: I am not currently a premium member, I currently download LOC waypoint files, combine into one large file, then convert this into USR that the Expedition recognizes. I'd like to be able to see the size of the cache and hint would be nice too.