Can we get a new attribute for "Bees"?

Zytheran

I'm wondering what it would take to have a new attribute available?

We have them for poisonous plants and snakes however I'm wondering if it would be useful to have one for bees just to cater for those people who are allergic to them?

Probably not. Bee nests come and go. I think it is better to rely upon other cachers' posts to alert others of "changes" in immediate surroundings of the cache. :rolleyes:

We have them for poisonous plants and snakes however I'm wondering if it would be useful to have one for bees just to cater for those people who are allergic to them?

I'm allergic to bees, but I don't think the attribute would be beneficial to anyone since bees can be anywhere outside.

There are certain places where wasps, hornets and the like congregate, like under lamp post skirts and in guardrails, but you're just as likely to come across a honeybee while walking across a field to a cache in the woods.

Cache owners would have to put that attribute on all of their caches, ultimately making it (the attribute) one that people ignore. If there's a known problem with bees at a particular spot, I'd rather have a warning in the cache description.

Also, another thing, for those who cache paperless, we generally don't see any attributes and would never know about the bee warning if that's the only place it was located.

Edited to add (the attribute) so it didn't sound like people would ignore the cache.

Edited by Skippermark

While going for a FTF last year I stepped into a yellow jacket nest and got stung 76 times. My son got stung 22 times. The cache owner and his wife had been to the site the day before and didn't see them. As I was taking my son to the emergency room, I stopped a park ranger who immediately shut that area down and marked it with hazard tape. I also called the cache owner who immediately posted a warning on the cache page.

A park worker got stung 36 times while trying to locate the nest - my directions weren't the best. 3 hours later the nest was already destroyed and most bees gone. By the next day no bees were around.

By the time the owner had a chance to check the cache that evening, everything had already been taken care of.

An attribute probably wouldn't have stopped me from going after the cache although I would have been more cautious because of my son, You couldn't see the yellow jacket nest until it was to late and as soon as the owner was aware of the bees they had already been removed. No one has ever seen bees around the cache since. I've seen wasps at a variety of other caches and do see bees at almost every garden and park we go to. They're part of the nature I expect to see whenever I'm outside. I now carry an epipen.

BY THE WAY, I DID GET FIRST TO FIND.

While going for a FTF last year I stepped into a yellow jacket nest and got stung 76 times. My son got stung 22 times. The cache owner and his wife had been to the site the day before and didn't see them. As I was taking my son to the emergency room, I stopped a park ranger who immediately shut that area down and marked it with hazard tape. I also called the cache owner who immediately posted a warning on the cache page.

A park worker got stung 36 times while trying to locate the nest - my directions weren't the best. 3 hours later the nest was already destroyed and most bees gone. By the next day no bees were around.

By the time the owner had a chance to check the cache that evening, everything had already been taken care of.

An attribute probably wouldn't have stopped me from going after the cache although I would have been more cautious because of my son, You couldn't see the yellow jacket nest until it was to late and as soon as the owner was aware of the bees they had already been removed. No one has ever seen bees around the cache since. I've seen wasps at a variety of other caches and do see bees at almost every garden and park we go to. They're part of the nature I expect to see whenever I'm outside. I now carry an epipen.

Just FYI, Yellow Jackets aren't bees. They're wasps.

A rose by any other name has thorns just as sharp.

No, not really. For example... Yellow jackets are much more aggressive than ordinary bees. And a honeybee will likely leave the stinger in the skin. It can continue to pump venom even after detached. Yank it out as soon as possible.

[

You're right they are wasps. Yellow jackets are very aggressive. If they had been bees I wouldn't have ended up with so many stings and the chances are my son wouldn't have been stung at all. The end result was several hundred dollars in medical bills, an epipen and a FTF.

A Bee attribute wouldn't have stopped me. I AM CAUTIOUS if a recent cacher posts a note about bees or wasps.

This is why I carry an epipen in my bag and in my truck..

Still, the icon wouldn't be any use to me..

Please add a "container once held peanuts" attribute for those with peanut allergies.

As a grandfather with a grandson w/a severe peanut allegy, I'd like to second this. That way we'll know if he can handle the container. As it is now, if he sees it first he can't grab it until someone else checks it for him. We'd like to know we can let him go once in awhile.

Yes, we're carrying an epipen.

Edited by two bison

No, not really. For example... Yellow jackets are much more aggressive than ordinary bees. And a honeybee will likely leave the stinger in the skin. It can continue to pump venom even after detached. Yank it out as soon as possible.

Ok so we need an attribute for bees and another for wasps. Maybe break the snake attribute down into sub groups?

And how about 'fall rocks' be graduated, will I be smashed by a car sized rock or just knocked silly with a baseball sized one? You know I might wear a helmet and try it anyways if its just a baseball.

Wow.I'm amazed by the responses from those in the USA.

You lot might want to work on your appearances to the rest of the world. :mad: ..

Just forget about any change, I'm sure the hassle of another *option* or some sort of consistency would confuse you lot.

What is most amazing is that we continually try to make such simple things complicated. It would be nice if we could create a perfectly safe and controllable world now wouldn't it? But, barring some glass walls I don't think you will find one in a fully natural interactive and dynamic environment. Even if there were glass walls some deadly mold would no doubt begin to form and quickly turn deadly.....to some. :huh:

What should be held up as a standard (for the purpose of consistency) is that rare element of 'common' sense which would negate "Flames will burn" being affixed to a box of matches. One of my favorites for the public swimming pool, "Caution: Water is wet and does not support breathing" :blink:

Edited by LandStar

Wow.I'm amazed by the responses from those in the USA.

You lot might want to work on your appearances to the rest of the world. :huh: ..

Just forget about any change, I'm sure the hassle of another *option* or some sort of consistency would confuse you lot.

So people are generally against the idea and we're the ones with the problem? It's easy to target criticism in a national direction when the opinion doesn't match yours. How about just admitting it wasn't such a hot idea and be done with it instead of departing with a backhanded remark such as yours was?

Please add a "container once held peanuts" attribute for those with peanut allergies.

As a grandfather with a grandson w/a severe peanut allegy, I'd like to second this. That way we'll know if he can handle the container. As it is now, if he sees it first he can't grab it until someone else checks it for him. We'd like to know we can let him go once in awhile.

Yes, we're carrying an epipen.

Please don't take this personally, but if you rely on an attribute, you are nuts. It would only be valuable if EVERYONE used it and used it honestly. I'd rather rely on common sense. If it looks like a peanut butter container, keep him away from it. An ammo can or Bison tube is probably OK unless someone intentionally placed peanuts in it, in which case they would be unlikely to use the attribute.