Car GPS or Handheld

boiler-todd

I am Day 2 into Geocaching. Found some Geocoins already which is very cool. I have been using my Garmin Nuvi 255W GPS that I have for my car. I can download Caches coordinates from GC.com so that is good.

Right now I am batting about 75% on finding the caches I am looking for. I think some are muggled but I am wondering is a handheld unit more accurate than the one I use in my car? What are peoples' suggestions as far as if I should purchase a handheld.

Thanks!

Responses you receive re: In-Car v Handheld will go both ways.

Newer In-Car receivers have improved greatly, but they usually still have "water resistance" problems.

Newer handhelds, can navigate you in your car just as well (but are harder to read at a distance). :rolleyes:

To each, his/her own. I personally use handheld. I find (some) people with In-Car units still get lost!!!! :P

We have both! We started with the car sat-nav but after doing a couple decided to buy a hand held GPSr, the pointy arrow makes finding GZ so much easier!

We sometimes use them together, the car sat-nav to get us close to the location/somewhere to park (specially in an un-familiar area) then we use the hand-held on foot.

We bought a Garmin Etrex H and think it is great and fairly cheap (AUD$142), batteries klast forever and gets us within a metre everytime. The kids can also follow the arrow, which makes it more fun for them to have ago. Secured around their neck.

Basically, what gum-nuts said, except I got the Venture HC (USB instead of serial, color, has limited memory for maps).

For premium members, do check out the GSAK paperless macro for Nuvi. Basically, what it does is allow you to load thousands of geocaches into the Nuvi as custom POI, complete with description, hints, and past logs.

Most car units have several deficiencies when it comes to geocaching. Short battery life, non field replaceable batteries, they aren't waterproof, they aren't rugged, they don't have the compass navigation screen and they simply aren't physically designed to be held in the hand.

You can make do with a car GPS if your caching consists of little more than driving between guardrails and strip malls and short jaunts from the car, but if you wat to tackle caches that will take you away from your automobile you are best off with a hand held GPS.

The previously mentioned Garmin Venture HC is a good choice for an inexpensive hand held unit. The Garmin Legend HC is also a good, inexpensive unit, or if you aren't on a tight budget a Garmin Oregeon or Dakota are nice geocaching hand helds.

Edited by briansnat

I agree with briansnat. The issue is NOT which is more accurate, it's an issue of ergonomics and design.

My Nuvi 765T is a superior GPS, it even has the high sensitivity reciever, but my old Etrex Legend C (non "h" model, or even "x" model) blows the pants off the nuvi for the long battery life and the guiding compass alone.

Use both. If budget is tight, a hand held monochrome GPS is fairly cheap and has the compass you need for GCing. Use the Nuvi for paperless (if you have the macro) and/or guiding your car to a cache parking spot.

I would hate to be caught in the rain with the 765T, but I don't worry with the Etrex.

I am Day 2 into Geocaching. Found some Geocoins already which is very cool. I have been using my Garmin Nuvi 255W GPS that I have for my car. I can download Caches coordinates from GC.com so that is good.

Right now I am batting about 75% on finding the caches I am looking for. I think some are muggled but I am wondering is a handheld unit more accurate than the one I use in my car? What are peoples' suggestions as far as if I should purchase a handheld.

Thanks!

Though a bit off topic, you would benefit greatly from using this website -

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

It will allow you to do paperless geocaching. You don't necessarily need a premium membership to get gpx files (garmin, on their website, allows you to view and download 20 per click of your mouse), but it is much more convenient if you have a premium account.

The website above also explains how to properly use your 255W for maximum geocaching results.