Religious Propaganda

Literature regarding nudist camps would be no different in my opinion than any literature supporting any opinion, religion or commercial venture. I would almost certainly ignore it and leave it in the cache unless it was wet and moldy. Then I would CITO it without making any judgement regarding the quality of the information or the lack thereof.

Literature regarding nudist camps would be no different in my opinion than any literature supporting any opinion, religion or commercial venture. I would almost certainly ignore it and leave it in the cache unless it was wet and moldy. Then I would CITO it without making any judgement regarding the quality of the information or the lack thereof.

In my opinion, it is not family friendly material and if I find it, it is gone.

A question, if I may.

How would those, who say the tracts are no big deal, feel about literature in support of nudist camps being left in caches?

After all, there is no more natural state that a human can be, than nude.

Right?

Religious tracts and political propaganda are hot-button issues which usually promote the agenda of the person putting it in the cache, and frequently by implication or outright statement tell the reader "do things my way".

A flyer for a nudist camp is, on the other hand, just an advertisement for a place. Still inappropriate, to my mind, but it doesn't rise to the level of religion or politics in it's mission to sway and possibly inflame the reader.

But the hell and damnation literature directly aimed towards gays and Catholics is family friendly? Please explain how that is family friendly.

A question, if I may.

How would those, who say the tracts are no big deal, feel about literature in support of nudist camps being left in caches?

Right?

We wouldn't need support literature because we have already have a nude beach. But if it were there I'd crumple it up and dispose of it.

I am fairly certain there are many families who are nudists. B) Plus, I would expect that valid literature regarding a nudist camp would not have provacative images.

you have betrayed your bias in that you think it's a choice.

I can't speak to whether being gay is a choice or not, I do not have the experience nor education nor insight to make such a call, nor do I care enough about the issue to ponder it... who folks sleep with is none of my business. But, that brings up what I was calling a choice... it appears that straight folks don't much publicly mention or make an issue of their sexuality, while it appears that gay people almost invariably do. THAT is the choice I was referring to... the choice to make your bedfellows known to others. What's the point of even bringing up such a personal issue?

As to the pertinent question, whether someone would avoid geoaching because they found a tract in a cache I thank you for your clarification.

To me the aversions that you refer to are akin to saying "I once had a wreck so I will never again get in a car" and I guess that on that basis I can understand your position. My wife had a fender-bender on the Interstate 35 years ago and has never driven on an Interstate since. I don't have to understand it, I just have to accept it!

if you have ever showed up in public with your wife, you have made your bedfellow known to others.

gay people are kind of sensitive about it because they can't get partner benefits, they can't get child custody, they don't inherit like a married couple, they can be fired from jobs because of it, and in some places they can be killed for it and the jury will acquit because if you're gay you deserve it.

it isn't even decriminalized in all of the states!

these people, many of them, have decided that it's time to stand up and be counted, demanding the same basic rights that you already enjoy.

i don't know many gay people who want to flaunt it for the sake of flaunting it (in fairness, i do know a couple). most of the ones i know would really prefer to live quiet little live just like their straight neighbors.

A question, if I may.

Right?

We wouldn't need support literature because we have already have a nude beach. But if it were there I'd crumple it up and dispose of it.

Would you do the same for religious tracts?

A question, if I may.

Right?

Would you do the same for religious tracts?

If they were the hateful hell and damnation type, then yes. If they were peaceful, then I'd leave them for someone who might be interested in them.

A question, if I may.

Right?

up until the point where they criticize "textiles" as being inferior, i have no objection.

i don't know many gay people who want to flaunt it for the sake of flaunting it (in fairness, i do know a couple). most of the ones i know would really prefer to live quiet little live just like their straight neighbors.
IMHO if they could all act like this and stop the parades, etc. they would get a heck of lot more support from society. The flamboyant ones hurt their cause far more than they help it. I support civil unions and rights, but don't push me further than that unless you want to act no better than the religious tract people pushing their beliefs on others. Edited by TrailGators

I am fairly certain there are many families who are nudists. B) Plus, I would expect that valid literature regarding a nudist camp would not have provocative images.

As a long-time (though now ex) member of Cypress Cove Nudist Resort in Kissimmee FL and Gymno-Vita Park in Vandiver AL as well as a 30-year visitor to such places all around this country I can tell you that I have never seen a piece of literature condemning anyone for not being a nudist! I've never heard a nudist try to 'convert' or 'save' a non-nudist. They may advertise their parks and promote their lifestyle, but that's nowhere near what religious and political materials do.

As I said, it's all inappropriate in a cache, but let's don't try to compare a nudist advertisement to an "all gays are hell-bound" screed.

I am fairly certain there are many families who are nudists. B) Plus, I would expect that valid literature regarding a nudist camp would not have provacative images.

I find that stuff in a geocache, it is gone.

I won't seek opinion, permission or approval in advance.

A question, if I may.

Right?

up until the point where they criticize "textiles" as being inferior, i have no objection.

When you see some of them you quickly realize just how important textiles really are.... B)
But taking swag items out just because you don't like that particular kind of swag, just doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, me neither. I doubt there is much that could be put in a cache that would offend me. I'm just not all that easy to offend. I've tried to envision a scenario where I was offended by a particular item, and gauge my possible reaction to it. I guess, if it were allowable by the guidelines, and not causing harm by growing mold, I'd leave it right where it was. My personal ethics place tolerance pretty high. (so long as we're not talking about film cans B) )

To be honest I don't really care so much. I just don't like pushy people telling me how to trade.

He did't tell you how to trade, he said that we shouldn't take swag out and throw it away, just because we don't like it. Whether it's a tract, a Hot Wheels car.

But the hell and damnation literature directly aimed towards gays and Catholics is family friendly? Please explain how that is family friendly.

Team Cotati, why won't you respond to any of my very direct questions? Please help me to understand how that the above, which you have defended in this thread, is family friendly.

I find that stuff in a geocache, it is gone.

I won't seek opinion, permission or approval in advance.

Why?

He did't tell you how to trade, he said that we shouldn't take swag out and throw it away, just because we don't like it. Whether it's a tract, a Hot Wheels car.

Now wait just a dadgum minute! Are y'all saying I have to allow Hot Wheels cars in caches? I don't like Hot Wheels cars. I stepped on one one time and it hurt my foot and I just don't wanna see 'em in geocaches. Think of all the poor chinldren limping around on sore feet from stepping on these things. It's child abuse, that's what it is, and I find it offensive that people would allow chinldren to be hurt like this, even if Groundspeak hates them. Save the chinldren, ban Hot Wheels from geocaches now!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

When you see some of them you quickly realize just how important textiles really are.... :)

No doubt! If you go to a nudist park for visual stimulation you'd better carry some bleach for your eyes! Fortunately ogling people isn't what it's about. :)

B) I went to our special beach once to find a couple of caches with some friends. It's funny how you go there imagining Bay Watch and instead you get _ay Watch. P.S. No offense intended.

Now wait just a dadgum minute! Are y'all saying I have to allow Hot Wheels cars in caches? I don't like Hot Wheels cars. I stepped on one one time and it hurt my foot and I just don't wanna see 'em in geocaches. think of the chinldren liming around on sore feet from stepping on these things. It's child abuse, that's what it is, and I find it offensive that people would allow chinldren to be hurt like this, even if Groundspeak hates them. Save the chinldren, ban Hot Wheels from geocaches now!

B) No yams either!
That sounds suspiciously like an agenda to me. The very next visitor to the cache may well have appreciated that tract, had it been there.

I found a very nice item that I like in a geocache. Should I not trade for that too because the next visitor might appreciate that?

The only people who "appreciate" religious tracts in geocaches (or anywhere else) are those who have the least need for it.

When you see some of them you quickly realize just how important textiles really are.... :)

No doubt! If you go to a nudist park for visual stimulation you'd better carry some bleach for your eyes! Fortunately ogling people isn't what it's about. :)

B) I went to our special beach once to find a couple of caches with some friends. It's funny how you go there imagining Bay Watch and instead you get _ay Watch. P.S. No offense intended.

Oh yeah, you haven't lived till you've had the nude 300-lb cook at Gymno-Vita drip sweat off of her droopy bits while cooking your morning omelet, or played volleyball with a bunch of 50-somethings who all suffer from Dunlap's (their belly Dunlapped over their um, belt). Yes, there are some very attractive people there, but if people-watching is your thing you'll see much better looking people elsewhere. Oddly enough most of the nudists I know find people sexier with some clothes on!

Now, what was the topic here? :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
That sounds suspiciously like an agenda to me. The very next visitor to the cache may well have appreciated that tract, had it been there.

I found a very nice item that I like in a geocache. Should I not trade for that too because the next visitor might appreciate that?

The only people who "appreciate" religious tracts in geocaches (or anywhere else) are those who have the least need for it.

Remember the Hari Krishnas? They would approach you at airports trying to convert you in the 70s. They were like live religious tracts, but they never bothered me either. To me they are just different color crayons in a very big box of crayons. Nobody is going to convince me that one color is better than another.

When you see some of them you quickly realize just how important textiles really are.... :ph34r:

Oh yeah, you haven't lived till you've had the nude 400-lb cook at Gymno-Vita drip sweat off of her droopy bits while cooking your morning omelet, or played volleyball with a bunch of 50-somethings who all suffer from Dunlap's (their belly Dunlapped over their um, belt). Yes, there are some very attractive people there, but if people-watching is your thing you'll see much better looking people elsewhere. Oddly enough most of the nudists I know find people sexier with some clothes on!

Now, what was the topic here? :)

Dunlaps! :huh::)

My personal opinion - The people that CITO and take the tracts out of caches are not much different than the people who put them in there. One group is trying to protect me from going to hades, and the other is trying to protect me from religious spam.

I had a cache that was muggled and the muggles had written that we were "geeks" and "bitches" in the logbook. I went and replaced the container (the lid was missing)and added new swag,(the old swag was strewn about the place) and left the original logbook -which I found nearby at ground zero in good condition. Another well meaning cacher came along and tore the muggles page out to "protect" us. It irritated me a little as there really wasnt anything that awful in there, and I actually found it a bit humorous.

I have found a few tracts in caches. I have also found other tracts in other places, and had some handed to me, and others delivered in person at the doorstep. Most are not hateful in any way. If a 9 year old does come across one that says their lesbian parents are going to hell, do you really want to sheild them from it? They have to learn somehow, someday, that there are hateful people in the world that will try to justify their hate by judging others. Eventually they will have to deal with it on some level. There will always be evil people who will try to make themselves feel better by bringing others down. Its better for someone to be there to explain it to them when they come across it, rather than to have it thrown in their face later when they are alone.

Although I was brought up as Christian, after reading many of the Christian tracts, I decided that Judaism was much better for me anyhow. The tracts actually "saved" me (not in the way intended, obviously) but I'm glad that I read them. I first checked out Islam, which is a noble and good religion, and which is very much against idolatry. Unfortunately they still practice a form of it unknowingly, so then I looked at Judaism which is more interesting.

In the Kabbalistic teachings there is Ein Sof which implies that God has no label. Some try to get around it by writing G_d, but it really means that there are no labels that can describe god. Once there was a word to describe god, then they had to churn out a bunch of other labels to define him. Soon they had a 1000 page book of labels which still leaves many questions unanswered. They are now using labels in tracts to try to explain the older labels... god is a spirit which really cannot have a label (my opinion). I believe that there are many spiritual athiests that are closer to "god" than many religious zealots will ever be. Labels, symbols, and signs are for communication and not for worship. Any religion that puts symbolism before sprituality is practicing idolatry. All religions really preach the same thing once you strip them of the symbols and labels. (peace) The ancient egyptians believed that using symbols to describe life, was similar to using a square to describe a circle.. Most evil spirits come from the improper

use and side effects of symbols anyway; the spirit is what is more important..

I hope that everyone reads this post as I intended it, and no one prints it up and puts it in caches... B)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

My personal opinion - The people that CITO and take the tracts out of caches are not much different than the people who put them in there. One group is trying to protect me from going to hades, and the other is trying to protect me from religious spam.

I had a cache that was muggled and the muggles had written that we were "geeks" and "bitches" in the logbook. I went and replaced the container (the lid was missing)and added new swag,(the old swag was strewn about the place) and left the original logbook -which I found nearby at ground zero in good condition. Another well meaning cacher came along and tore the muggles page out to "protect" us. It irritated me a little as there really wasnt anything that awful in there, and I actually found it a bit humorous.

I have found a few tracts in caches. I have also found other tracts in other places, and had some handed to me, and others delivered in person at the doorstep. Most are not hateful in any way. If a 9 year old does come across one that says their lesbian parents are going to hell, do you really want to sheild them from it? They have to learn somehow, someday, that there are hateful people in the world that will try to justify their hate by judging others. Eventually they will have to deal with it on some level. There will always be evil people who will try to make themselves feel better by bringing others down. Its better for someone to be there to explain it to them when they come across it, rather than to have it thrown in their face later when they are alone.

Although I was brought up as Christian, after reading many of the Christian tracts, I decided that Judaism was much better for me anyhow. The tracts actually "saved" me (not in the way intended, obviously) but I'm glad that I read them. I first checked out Islam, which is a noble and good religion, and which is very much against idolatry. Unfortunately they still practice a form of it unknowingly, so then I looked at Judaism which is more interesting.

In the Kabbalistic teachings there is Ein Sof which implies that God has no label. Some try to get around it by writing G_d, but it really means that there are no labels that can describe god. Once there was a word to describe god, then they had to churn out a bunch of other labels to define him. Soon they had a 1000 page book of labels which still leaves many questions unanswered. They are now using labels in tracts to try to explain the older labels... god is a spirit which really cannot have a label (my opinion). I believe that there are many spiritual athiests that are closer to "god" than many religious zealots will ever be. Labels, symbols, and signs are for communication and not for worship. Any religion that puts symbolism before sprituality is practicing idolatry. All religions really preach the same thing once you strip them of the symbols and labels. (peace) The ancient egyptians believed that using symbols to describe life, was similar to using a square to describe a circle.. Most evil spirits come from the improper

use and side effects of symbols anyway; the spirit is what is more important..

I hope that everyone reads this post as I intended it, and no one prints it up and puts it in caches... B)

You've got it dead right. It was also the point I was trying to make with my previous post which was basically trashed with a spool of emotionally charged, specious arguments.

Someone think of the chilndren!

It's not so much their opinion, it's their need to try and infiltrate their opinion and foist it on the rest of humanity.

Were this a case of folks standing in front of your house with megaphones, screaming that you are going to suffer hellfire and damnation because you don't (fill in the blank) ~~~> ______ , I would agree with you. But it's not. It's a scrap of paper, written by a person, giving an opinion. You can read it, or not. If you read it, you can agree with their opinion, or not. Opinions are like that. Some are easier to swallow than others. Not unlike the contents of a fortune cookie.

One of the things that appeals to me the most about this game is that it is played on a global field, which, by its very nature, should encourage tolerance of all peoples and all belief systems. Even those belief systems that preach intolerance toward folks who don't fit the standard blueprint for that particular belief system. When a message is delivered by a scrap of paper left in an ammo can, you have to decide if you are going to let whatever message is there offend you or not.

For instance, you could accurately describe me as an ole fat crippled guy with a receding hairline and a smelly hat.

If I found a tract that espoused the theory that all ole fat crippled balding guys with smelly hats are sinners and are doomed to an eternity in the puddle of fire, I would not be offended by that. Why? Because it is naught but the author's opinion. Maybe he's right. Maybe he's wrong. Either way, we won't know for sure until I'm dead. If I have the capacity to report back to you on this after I'm dead, I'll let you know. That way you can stock up on Rogaine, wash your hat regularly and hit the gym a bit more often, to avoid my fate. :)

They are just different color crayons in a very big box

I'm thinking T-Shirt! :)

A ) I believe that there are many spiritual athiests that are closer to "god" than many religious zealots will ever be.

Well put... and probably very accurate.

For the record, I think I've seen maybe half a dozen tracts in caches. All of them were of the "Love Thy Neighbor" flavor. None threatened brimstone, or any other smelly rock. I CITOed one of those out, (along with all the other paper products), because it was moldy, not because I was afraid some measure of spirituality might offend the next finder. Would I ever leave my own tract? Absolutely not. My relationship with God, Gaia, Jehovah, Diana, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Buddha, or whatever name you want to apply, is my business. If you wish to know my thoughts, feel free to ask. I'll be happy to explain my viewpoint. Otherwise, let's just go find some ammo cans.

Post script: This message of tolerance does not apply to folks who hide film cans, as we all know they are going to Hell. B)

it's their need to try and infiltrate their opinion and foist it on the rest of humanity.

Some religions are self-mandated to proselytize. Mine is not, but it is fun to try!

A ) I believe that there are many spiritual athiests that are closer to "god" than many religious zealots will ever be.

Well put... and probably very accurate.

It is my contention that it takes as much faith to disbelieve as it does to believe.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Thank you for being inclusive - not everyone is. Some think just because Pastafarianism is a joke religion that it can be dismissed as such. I believe that if there is a god, it would not have a problem with anything that makes people laugh. That is why I leave FSM pamphlets in caches - they are funny!

Post script: This message of tolerance does not apply to folks who hide film cans, as we all know they are going to Hell. B)

Yeah, I felt unclean hiding film can-sized containers as part of a series, so I tried to camouflage them so that only intervention by His Noodly Appendage would reveal their location....

fsmbanner1.jpg

On topic...

I don't know why religious people need to convert people in order to keep their faith. If you believe in a diety, why do you need to get others to believe in the deity? Is your belief not strong enough so you need to get other people to believe with you? Why spread the deity specific literature? Does that make the diety more real?

What's the point?

I am not intending to preach but simply to answer your (I believe) honest question. The Bible says in many places that believers should go into the world to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ in an effort to help others become saved in order to be able to go to Heaven when they die or when the rapture comes.

Here is one example http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=NIV

In Christianity, we are taught that this is our job, not to help ourselves become more secure in our beliefs, but because we believe that Jesus wishes fo rus to help save others' souls through Prophesy.

For the record, I have always had a religious mother, but didn't always go to church regularly. I used to be annoyed by religious tracts left on my door or mailbox. Now that I understand the meaning behind it, I understand why people do it. They believe in their hearts that they are helping others. Now they don't annoy me anymore, even when they are from religions that I don't agree with.

But taking swag items out just because you don't like that particular kind of swag, just doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, me neither. I doubt there is much that could be put in a cache that would offend me. I'm just not all that easy to offend. I've tried to envision a scenario where I was offended by a particular item, and gauge my possible reaction to it. I guess, if it were allowable by the guidelines, and not causing harm by growing mold, I'd leave it right where it was. My personal ethics place tolerance pretty high. (so long as we're not talking about film cans B) )

To be honest I don't really care so much. I just don't like pushy people telling me how to trade.

I didn't even go that far. All I said was that I don't understand why folks would trash otherwise "legal" swag because they don't like it instead of just ignoring it. I most certainly said nothing about how GOF or anyone else is allowed or supposed to trade or even make any suggestion of what anyone should or should not do. Heck, I didn't event recite the mantra of "trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all." Just where did Riffster or I "push" you into trading (or not) in a certain way?

Just because someone doesn't completely agree with your opinions or understand your actions does not make them pushy, extremist, cache cops wanting to force you to do things their way.

On topic...

I don't know why religious people need to convert people in order to keep their faith. If you believe in a diety, why do you need to get others to believe in the deity? Is your belief not strong enough so you need to get other people to believe with you? Why spread the deity specific literature? Does that make the diety more real?

What's the point?

I am not intending to preach but simply to answer your (I believe) honest question. The Bible says in many places that believers should go into the world to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ in an effort to help others become saved in order to be able to go to Heaven when they die or when the rapture comes.

Here is one example http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=NIV

In Christianity, we are taught that this is our job, not to help ourselves become more secure in our beliefs, but because we believe that Jesus wishes fo rus to help save others' souls through Prophesy.

For the record, I have always had a religious mother, but didn't always go to church regularly. I used to be annoyed by religious tracts left on my door or mailbox. Now that I understand the meaning behind it, I understand why people do it. They believe in their hearts that they are helping others. Now they don't annoy me anymore, even when they are from religions that I don't agree with.

Because their bible says these things it is taken to be license to "help others" by carrying out their harassing behaviors when condemning life styles, personal and private conduct, other people's God who is viewed as different than and inferior to theirs...the list is virtually endless.

And this preachy stuff to total strangers? Just who in heck do these christian fundamentalist holier than thou types think that they are? They do not know me, they have no right to presume that I or my family are in need of their brand of redemption.

I firmly believe that at their core, these types actually enjoy the derision and push-back that they receive from people who believe that it is none of their business to worry over others salvation, to ensure that everyone believe in their brand of salvation or believe in any particular salvation at all.

BTW, my Mother was also a very religious person who firmly believed in the salvation of Jesus Christ. I sincerely hope that her mortal soul is resting at the right hand of God.

Fortunately her beliefs do not excuse my earthly behavior.

Edited by Team Cotati

I think the main issue is one of tolerance. Tolerance is something that is sorely lacking in society these days. And unfortunately, I often find that those who consider themselves the most tolerant of others are often the least tolerant in the way they behave toward others. And they don't even realize their own intolerance! B)

I like this quote a lot:

"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority."

Ralph Washington Sockman

I think the main issue is one of tolerance. Tolerance is something that is sorely lacking in society these days. And unfortunately, I often find that those who consider themselves the most tolerant of others are often the least tolerant in the way they behave toward others. And they don't even realize their own intolerance! B)

I like this quote a lot:

"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority."

Ralph Washington Sockman

Nice post. However, for most people building tolerance is a work in progress. So people need to be tolerant of others' intolerance and work with them. If you push people they will only dig in deeper. That's human nature...

I like this quote a lot:

Ralph Washington Sockman

Nice post. However, for most people building tolerance is a work in progress. So people need to be tolerant of others' intolerance and work with them. If you push people they will only dig in deeper. That's human nature...

Excellent point - I too see it as a work in progress. Thanks for saying that. :)

I found a religious tract today in the W. Branch Farmington River- Steel Bridge cache at N 42° 04.225 W 073° 03.724.

Geocaching is not a religious forum and religious propaganda does not belong in a cache. Some of us find this material offensive. If you insist on propagandizing, at least take credit for your actions and put your name on your material so that the rest of us will know who the offending cachers are.

The tracks are considered swag, correct? And the only way to get swag out of a cache is to trade up or even with it, correct? Who's the person who decides the worth of all the different swag? Each person is in charge of deciding right? So Christians, (only using them (us) as an example) believe that the greatest gift EVER is the gift of Jesus Christ and what He did for us on the cross. Dying for our sins so that we can have salvation. We believe there is nothing worth more then this. We don't tell people about Christ because we have to in order to be worthy of Christs gift (for which we're not), we do it because we care. Because we too wish that no one should perish. We do it out of love. Believe it or not, many people have come to know the Lord and to accept His gift by reading those small peaces of paper. One persons trash is another persons treasure, right? If there is a item of swag that you don't deam worth anything, think twice before removing it, it may be worth a lot more to someone else. I myself also don't care for golf balls, but I don't get rid of them because I don't like them, I know eventually another person will come along who will appreciate it.

I am a Christian, and it's part of who I am. MY beliefs come out in my every day life, they help guide me and influence me. I don't want to give up who I am to take part in this game of geocaching. Would it not be a similar debate about someone who is a vegetarian because of their beliefs in how it's wrong to hurt animals. What do they think when they come to a cache full of fishing gear? That would go against their beliefs right? How would you all feel if you found out they were trashing all those lures and hand tied flys? That stuff is pretty valuable swag to some of you I bet (myself included). Just because some of you wish to deny Christ, don't deny someone elses chances of knowing Him.

I myself leave it up to the cache Owner to clean and maintain their own cache. If they feel a particular item is trash then that's their right as the owner to through it out. Also, FYI I don't leave tracks in caches and I never have. I haven't ment to offend anyone here, just give you a little insite as what some Christians may be thinking when they leave those little pieces of paper. Hope all is well with you all, God Bless and Happy Caching:O)

I like this quote a lot:

Ralph Washington Sockman

I think, if you look at examples from history, what sometimes happens is the minority voice crosses over to the majority voice but don't even realise it. So they continue in the mindset that they are fighting and struggling to be heard, and in that 'fight' and 'struggle' being now of the majority, they begin to drown out the minorities - thus breeding a new intolerance.

Though my observations is that society tends to breed extremes - usually in over-reaction or over-compensation to one or the other... it's few minority who can maintain the balance in between the two.

I like this quote a lot:

Ralph Washington Sockman

"However, for most people building tolerance is a work in progress."

Nice catch phrase. Unfortunately for those so inclined, it all too often provides a place to find comfort and cover in their prejudices and/or bigotry.

Edited by Team Cotati

I like this quote a lot:

Ralph Washington Sockman

Nice catch phrase. Unfortunately for those so inclined, it all too often provides a place to find comfort and cover in their prejudices and/or bigotry.

I can't say for sure how TrailGators intended their post, but in reading it - I was reminded to look to my own heart and/or soul and consider how the word tolerance related to me and the people I come in contact with.

You can't control the behavior of others. You can only control your own behavior and the way that you REACT to others and - most importantly - lead by example.

I like this quote a lot:

Ralph Washington Sockman

I can't say for sure how TrailGators intended their post, but in reading it - I was reminded to look to my own heart and/or soul and consider how the word tolerance related to me and the people I come in contact with.

You can't control the behavior of others. You can only control your own behavior and the way that you REACT to others and - most importantly - lead by example.

I certainly didn't mean to hold on to your prejudices. In fact, I meant the opposite. People should try to move towards better understanding and trying to get rid of them. In my view, it's one of the reasons we are down here. However, it requires a two-way street to make it happen. So when people get pestered or badgered they are far less likely to change. Also when people constantly whine they are less likely to be heard.

I am a Christian, and it's part of who I am. MY beliefs come out in my every day life, they help guide me and influence me. I don't want to give up who I am to take part in this game of geocaching. Would it not be a similar debate about someone who is a vegetarian because of their beliefs in how it's wrong to hurt animals. What do they think when they come to a cache full of fishing gear? That would go against their beliefs right? How would you all feel if you found out they were trashing all those lures and hand tied flys? That stuff is pretty valuable swag to some of you I bet (myself included). Just because some of you wish to deny Christ, don't deny someone elses chances of knowing Him.

You can't compare this to being a vegetarian, the fish gear would be more on the lines of finding a cross in the cash, it's not like they were finding material saying that if they don't eat meat they are going to hell. Also are you say any person that doesn't believe in Christ is wrong? Don't all religions have basically the same beliefs. I have heard this quote before or something similar "I have no problems with Jesus, it's his followers I can't stand."

I'm wondering how that the current subject requires "Giving up who I am to take part in this game of geocaching"?

By all means, be who you are. Go cache. Have fun. Others saying that preachy or hateful religious tracts don't belong in caches certainly in no way impedes you caching or being who you are.

I can't understand how that some take this thread as if it were an attack on Jesus himself, then throw all logic out the door to defend leaving garbage that insults whole groups of people in caches.

Just because some of you wish to deny Christ, don't deny someone elses chances of knowing Him.

So geocaches are Christ's preferred method of reaching unbelievers, and by removing what amounts to anti-gay and anti-catholic hate literature from caches, you are denying lost souls the opportunity to come to know Him? B):)

I've read the bible from cover to cover at least 3 times. I don't recall any instructions from Jesus to place tracts in caches, even the decent ones that just tell about God's love.

This is not an attack on your faith, it's an attack on your logic. Or lack thereof.

I'm not a big fan of seeing anything religious, commercial, or political in caches. I get enough of that shoved in my face every day. I spend the day in the woods looking for caches, so I can get away from all of that stuff.

In terms of religious tracts, I think they're (along with anything paper) just a nuisance. I don't think I've ever seen anything particularly offensive (outside of one homophobic one) but they're always damp and mildewy, and often just a soggy mess.

Just because some of you wish to deny Christ, don't deny someone elses chances of knowing Him.

Seriously? I think Christ gets plenty of press in more appropriate places. A piece of paper in a cache has about as much chance of turning my life around as the spam that hits my inbox and the robo-calls that I get all day at the office. It's noise. It's unwanted, unsolicited, unrequested, unnecessary noise. The only people that appreciate finding these things are the already initiated.

Don't deny me my chance to spend a couple of hours in the woods (away from commercials, ad banners, and road signs) looking for ammo cans with what is just another sales pitch.

Could I ignore it? Sure.

Could the person with a handful of pamphlets fresh off the xerox machine ignore the cache? You bet.