Cache recommendation for holiday in NZ

su_jo

Hi, that depends upon which Island you'll be visiting.

I've assumed that you will be visiting the South Island near my own area...

All of my suggestions provide something of interest for the tourist...

GCTDX8 - Henry the Tuatara. (Southland) (A unique species of reptile are housed at the Museum)

GC1Q6MR - Milly's Woodland Adventure (Southland) (A beautiful bush walk through quite distinctive and unique coastal sand dune forest.)

GC1KV32 - Oreti Beach (Southland) (Burt Monroe used this beach for testing his "Fastest Indian" motorbike.)

GC1AF - Bluff Hill (Bluff, Southland) (AMAZING panoramic views.)

Have a nice holiday.

Kind regards,

Tokalosh

Hi,

My husband and me are going to go on a holiday in New Zealand from January till March.

Does anyone could recommend caches that are worth visiting.

Thank you in advance.

su_jo

Hi,

We would like to see nature, historical caches would be great too. But mostly we would like to see Waterfalls, Lakes and great Lookouts and spots that aren't to much touristy, insider tips for great spots that are worth seeing and in no tourist guide. Drive-bys would be good, but we would also like hikes that aren't longer than a day. Clever camo would be appreciated, but is not necessary. We are mostly searching for traditionals and multis.

Susi

There are around 6400 caches in New Zealand.

If you give us a bit more idea of your itinerary and your particular interests, we can offer some more suggestions! Do you like long hikes or drive-bys, clever camo or the box uder a bush, multis & puzzles or just traditionals????

Annie

Hi,

We would like to see nature, historical caches would be great too. But mostly we would like to see Waterfalls, Lakes and great Lookouts and spots that aren't to much touristy, insider tips for great spots that are worth seeing and in no tourist guide. Drive-bys would be good, but we would also like hikes that aren't longer than a day. Clever camo would be appreciated, but is not necessary. We are mostly searching for traditionals and multis.

Susi

That's a tricky one even for the locals. I'm planning our family's summer holiday in South Island and have run into a similar dilemma. I've built Route PQs for our intended itinerary with a fairly narrow search radius but if the route travels through a major urban area you get many hits — too many to sort through conveniently.

There are far fewer caches "on the road' however and, if you're looking for the scenic, I think it is a safe assumption to assume that a cache in the middle of nowhere is there for some other reason that that the cacher has found a clever place to hide the stash.

Have you downloaded the "Google Earth Viewer" from your geocaching.com profile? This shows geocaches on Google Earth. You can then "fly" along your intended routes. If a cache shows up in a likely looking spot you can click on the icon and its geocaching profile will open.

Another reasonably safe assumption is Earthcaches.

Specific recommendations for short walks (both are little know gems and although I haven't visited the caches, I've done the walk):

Lake Rotopounamu in North Island — GCJVDJ & GCRVDH

Charming Creek in South Island — GC10ARE & GC14HF6

A waterfall in Wellington city's Wilton's Bush reserve — GC1QBQC (check out the other caches in the reserve too).

One I remember vividly is at Rotorua..the earthcache called Hot Pools GC18H1K. That is well worth a look. We went early in the morning and the steam rising over the pools was a memory I will not forget. The rest of Kuirau park is worth a wander round too as there are more hot pools and mud pots in another area (and another cache or two.) Sorry it's a touristy area but don't let that stop you.

If you want numbers and some fantastic views there is a high cache density round Nelson. I did a few around the area but, if you like long walks, try some by Wandering Free (a friend of ours). They can take up to a day. Island of the Tide GCX8ZY is a 7.5 km walk. Not a lake unless you count a big bay as a lake.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Sue FuzzyBears

Ps. if you are in the Nelson area on 14th Feb there's always this one GC21HBB

Edited by fuzzybears