Samsung Omnia i900

hilwhi

Can't believe there is no replies to this post. But then again I dont come here much because the topics seem too hard to search.

Has your question been answered otherwise? If so what did you come up with?

Try this site:

http://www.samsung-omnia.org/

I'm sure the Omnia can do it, what mod you may have to do to make it work may be the question.

I have been running Geocaching live on My Samsung Impression with ATT. They lock out the internal GPS for their "monthly charge ATT navigator". But a slight tweak made it work for me.

I'm new to this so apologies if this is old hat. I'm told the Samsung Omnia has a built in GPS unit (for America and Verizon). Can it be accessed to use it with geocaching?

There's a whole discussion going on about certain Windows Mobile software solutions, and Groundspeak's policys about Windows Mobile phones here.

In the meantime, I'd suggest a program like Smittyware Cachemate, which will let you load Pocket Queries onto your Omnia and go out caching. An alternative that's not really ready for prime time is the Geocaching Live Site

It kinda depends....the original firmware disabled the GPS. Verizon did this to force you to buy their verizon navigator. After verizon lost a lawsuit regarding the same issue in the black berry devices verizon later released new firmware that enabled the GPSr (the omina does not have a-gps). The problem is that if you're familiar with winmo the option to enable the GPS is kinda hidden. I haven't used a winmo device in a while so I can't help you there unfortunately. I will way that the Omnia started to ship with the new firmware around August of last year. So if your Omina was purchased after August it's likely you just need to turn it on.

Oh yeah, if you have a Verizon Omnia it's actually the i910 the i900 was the european GSM version.

Edited by Crude