"needs maintenance" = not found ?!

Darkcat

Hello,

I marked 2 or 3 Caches as "needs maintenance" (months ago.. one of them soaking wet..). After i while I realized, taht these Caches are still marked as I would hagve never found them, they don't appare in my (public) Logs and, an, a bit more annoying - even in the map.

So what can i do to get these marked? It doesn't seem the owner wants to maintain them, the next vistors just log without further comment (so should I have done.. :()?

And, does anyone know WHY these are marked like "not found" in the map & logs? After all they must have been found, so that one could log at them & possibly decide to log them as "needs maintenance "

Greets, Darkcat

I'm not 100% sure I follow your post.

But I think that you are saying that you posted a Needs Maintenance log to 2 or 3 caches and that these caches are not showing among YOUR found caches.

If that's correct, you need to go back and also post a FOUND IT log on the caches.

Posting a Needs Maintenance log does not result in a Found it log. They are separate for very good reasons.

If you are saying something else, can you post more details?

Recently I found a newly published cache that was soaked, the log was soaked. I made a temp log, signed it. Then came home and logged a found, then logged a needs maintenance.

Same here....Is this the correct way of doing it ?

I believe so, seemed like the best option to me at the time. . Some people and I usually do...carry extra logs and zip locks so if we run into such a cache, we can replace a soaked log or ripped bag. The cache I found had just been published although it was placed back in April. So I was just expecting a nice quick grab on a new cache, so all I took was my GPSr and a pen, not my backpack.

OK, HERE IS THE DEAL. IN THE PAST WEEK I HAVE SEARCHED FOR 5 GEOCACHES (3 IN CULVER CITY AND 2 IN

DOWN TOWN LOS ANGELES. IN EACH CASE I:

1) USED 2 DIFFERENT GPS UNITS (TO MAKE SURE I WAS AT

THE RIGHT SPOT)

2) IN EACH CASE I SEARCHED THE PERIMETER (36DEGREES

:rolleyes: UP TO 20 FT)

3) PUT MY HAND INTO BUSHES WHERE THE SPIDERS AND

RATS LIVE

4) HAD STREET PEOPLE/DRUG DEALERS STARRING AT ME.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT I FOUND----NOTHING!! (NO BAG, TO TIN, NO CAN-ANYTHING RESEMBLING A GEOCACHE).

I HUMBLY ASK THAT THE RULES BE CHANGED FOR GEOCACHES TO: 1) BE PUT IN A STANDARD BRIGHT YELLOW CAN (THE KIND YOU BUY TENNIS BALLS). I HUMBLY ASK THIS BECAUSE GEOCACHEING IS GOING FROM A FUN EXCITING ACTIVITY TO SOMETHING ELSE.

OK, HERE IS THE DEAL. IN THE PAST WEEK I HAVE SEARCHED FOR 5 GEOCACHES (3 IN CULVER CITY AND 2 IN

THE RIGHT SPOT)

RATS LIVE

AND YOU KNOW WHAT I FOUND----NOTHING!! (NO BAG, TO TIN, NO CAN-ANYTHING RESEMBLING A GEOCACHE).

I HUMBLY ASK THAT THE RULES BE CHANGED FOR GEOCACHES TO: 1) BE PUT IN A STANDARD BRIGHT YELLOW CAN (THE KIND YOU BUY TENNIS BALLS). I HUMBLY ASK THIS BECAUSE GEOCACHEING IS GOING FROM A FUN EXCITING ACTIVITY TO SOMETHING ELSE.

If caches were bright yellow, then the street people/drug dealers you speak of would find and trash it!

THE RIGHT SPOT)

:P UP TO 20 FT)

RATS LIVE

:rolleyes:

THE RIGHT SPOT)

RATS LIVE

And........ just what size was the cache you were supposed to find? Trashcan size, micro, or maybe even a nano.

I see that you have never found one. I suggest it would be better if you concentrate on larger ones (for sure) to gain some geocaching experience first, rather than the in-city tiny hides. Then "graduate" to the generally tougher tiny ones. :P

mad.gif UP TO 20 FT)

There is your problem. Your hand held GPS is only accurate from about 10-30 feet. In a downtown area with tall buildings, multipathing errors (aka signal bounce) may also contribute to inaccuracy.

When you add in the fact that the GPS of the hider had an error of 10-30 feet the cache can be 40, 50 or more feet from where your GPS is pointing, under the best conditions. And caching around tall buildings is not the best conditions.

You need to expand your search radius well beyond 20 feet.