Oregon as a travel tool

Haitoman

I have just been on vacation to Rome and Vienna and like all techies I loaded up the maps for each city into my Oregon 300 before we went. Boy was I disappointed at its performance downtown at a walking pace. It jumped all over the place and there was nothing I could do. Great out in the wild but under cover....I never thought I would say it but the Oregon is no use in a strange city for finding your way around. I could not trust it to give me a direction at all....I have the latest Beta installed and I was very very disappointed. It was ok on the sightseeing bus but otherwise...useless.

Narrow streets and tall buildings kill any GPS. The multipath is crazy and it is impossible to determine position in those conditions.

I know...I'm just venting to people who will listen because my wife gave me such a hard time (she had a map) over it. I found switching to automotive mode was the most useful as you could see the street ahead of you. I think my expectations were maybe just a bit high when surrounded by buildings but the wild display swings were very frustrating.

It bothers me to, maybe somebody knows a way to 'freeze' the display while standing still, it just jumps all over the place and makes it unreadable.

Use "north up". Then just read the map and look at the street signs.

If you really want to freeze it, put it in "Demo" mode.

On a recent trip to Glasgow I used the wife’s Garmin nuvo to navigate to the car park and had intended using the Oregon to get me to the building I needed. Nuvo performed perfectly and guided me to the car park with no drama. The Oregon on the other hand just complained the maps do not match my location then hung. I had to take the batteries out and restart to get any life out of it. I suspect the problem is while in the car you are in the middle of the street but when you take to foot you are close to the buildings.

On a recent trip to Glasgow I used the wife’s Garmin nuvo to navigate to the car park and had intended using the Oregon to get me to the building I needed. Nuvo performed perfectly and guided me to the car park with no drama. The Oregon on the other hand just complained the maps do not match my location then hung. I had to take the batteries out and restart to get any life out of it. I suspect the problem is while in the car you are in the middle of the street but when you take to foot you are close to the buildings.

Which maps were you using?

Also if taking any GPSr on vacation especially if it's far away from your home, it might be a good idea once you arrive to let the unit sit outside for several hours so it can refresh it's internal almanac to the current location. That *might* help it perform better during the course of the vacation.