general newbieness

andytgeo

Hi Folks

new around here, currently using my mobile phone sat nav to find my way around, no brilliant, and resort to using the lat / long display and a compass to find my way around. battery life is shocking so am considering a dedicated handheld gps - currently favouring the oregon 200.

i read a very helpful comparison of the or200 and several other devices on here and am happy with my choice, although i have a couple of basic (and possibly dumb sounding queries)

firstly just how good - or bad - will reception be under tree cover?

my mobile phone is shocking and loses signal easily when in the shade of a tree and can take ages to regain it when out in the open - it is a tmobile mda compact iv (HTC somethingorother) if anyone knows the techy details of the gps for comparison

secondly - what can i expect map image wise on screen? firstly from the built in base map, secondly from any other mapping solution - what is recommended?

coverage wise i am in yorkshire so initially want best detail for close to home, plus will be holidaying in scottish highlands in february so will want same for there

thanks in advance

Andy

eflyguy, this is the Getting Started forum. Users who are just Getting Started come here to get friendly answers to their getting started questions. Simply posting a link to the GPS & Technology forum section does not fit in with that. If you don't anything to add to the discussion, feel free to move on to the next thread.

Thanks for your help in keeping the Getting Started section kinder and gentler.

To the OP, you should get fairly good coverage under trees with the Oregon.

The map that is preloaded is a basic basemap.

Depending upon the areas in which you will travel and your needs, you might or might not need additional maps. There are some free solutions (gpsfiledepot.com, Open Street Map and others) and Garmin sells various street and topo mapping solutions.