Halloween geocaching?

bittsen

I realized it was actually Halloween about 2AM. I was caching with my caching buddy and something in the tree nearby startled me to a dead stop. At that particular moment it occurred to me that this was a halloween moment to be sure.

It was raining, dark, spooky, 2AM, and we were (respectfully) geocaching in a bonafide cemetary. All we needed was a few lightning strikes to make it the opening scene to a horror movie.

Anyone else go geocaching today?

My first thought was to take PeaceGirl97 to some cemeteries, as these are her favorites, but then I remembered a series in the next city over that I wanted to do. It's a "murder mystery" series and that was somewhat fitting for Halloween. We got it mostly done before she had to go to a party. We're going to try to finish it up in a couple weeks.

I realized it was actually Halloween about 2AM. I was caching with my caching buddy and something in the tree nearby startled me to a dead stop. At that particular moment it occurred to me that this was a halloween moment to be sure.

It was raining, dark, spooky, 2AM, and we were (respectfully) geocaching in a bonafide cemetary. All we needed was a few lightning strikes to make it the opening scene to a horror movie.

I did and I even did one in a cemetery. It was cloudy, gray and windy but not spooky. Still a great time.

we went to race to the new halloween geocaches that came out today.

otherwise perfectly normal adults creeping through the woods.

if you're ahead of the chase, you have to be very stelathy or people coming behind can cut corners and catch up to you.

if you're behind you have to be stealthy and persistent and you can catch up to the leaders.

my team went two out of three and i personally got the first one.

A flat tire on our way down the coast, followed by a bike ride along the ocean - a sunset walk out to the end of a pier, looking at all the costumes. Next year I'll go as my favorite cacher, today I cleverly disguised myself as an old guy. Found a few caches on the way. Enjoyed the last daylight savings.

MY girlfriend, my daughter, and I drove 150 miles to Cherokee County Oklahoma where there is a series of 28 caches placed in out of the way rural cemeteries. We had a Halloween moment when we heard strange noises that we couldn't identify. The deer were absolutely thick, and there were a lot of moving animal noises out in the fallen leaves outside of flashlight range.

At one point some people came by on a little off road vehicle (like a mule) with no lights and we all killed the flashlights and crouched down in the weeds. They passed within 5' of us and never saw us.

At one cemetery we were greeted by this really shy black lab. Once he saw that we were friendly, he was our best friend and went with us to get the cache. It was sad to leave him.

Another good cache was the 2' tall fake owl perched in the cedar tree. The first thing my daughter saw was the eyes and hooked nose. She screamed.

Good memories. Beats trick or treating with rowdy teenagers around.

Edited by Okiebryan

The only thing I did last night was try and keep the raccoons away from the house. I don't why, but there was one that was particularly determined to sneak up to the house, peek in our window and watch us while we were trying to sleep. Freaked our poor indoor and outdoor kitties to death. Ok, it freaked me out, a little, too. The thought of those little eyes staring in at me, watching me, for who knows what reason. :D Maybe it was the (almost) full moon. :unsure::(

The only thing I did last night was try and keep the raccoons away from the house. I don't why, but there was one that was particularly determined to sneak up to the house, peek in our window and watch us while we were trying to sleep. Freaked our poor indoor and outdoor kitties to death. Ok, it freaked me out, a little, too. The thought of those little eyes staring in at me, watching me, for who knows what reason. :D Maybe it was the (almost) full moon. :unsure::(

They wear those sneaky little black masks too, don't they? Must be very scary <MrsB shudder>

The only thing I did last night was try and keep the raccoons away from the house. I don't why, but there was one that was particularly determined to sneak up to the house, peek in our window and watch us while we were trying to sleep. Freaked our poor indoor and outdoor kitties to death. Ok, it freaked me out, a little, too. The thought of those little eyes staring in at me, watching me, for who knows what reason. :unsure: Maybe it was the (almost) full moon. :):(

They wear those sneaky little black masks too, don't they? Must be very scary <MrsB shudder>

Haha, I guess that's true! They were trick or treaters, dressed up in their masks! Oops, maybe we shouldn't have ran them off (three times!). :D

I didn't find a cache tonight.

I just laid in waiting for some unwary souls to seek my cache and scare the bejeebers out of them close to midnight.

The thing you fail to mention here is the cache they were seeking was called "The bloated festering head of my first victim"

The cache container is a decapitated head called Mr. Thomas.

I wanted to go too but was laid up with the flu. :rolleyes:

Went and put out a new cache on halloween day though. Much less strenous plus I still got to bed on time. Made my fever go through the roof, but it was a lot of fun.

I didn't find a cache tonight.

I just laid in waiting for some unwary souls to seek my cache and scare the bejeebers out of them close to midnight.

The thing you fail to mention here is the cache they were seeking was called "The bloated festering head of my first victim"

The cache container is a decapitated head called Mr. Thomas.

I wanted to go too but was laid up with the flu. :rolleyes:

Went and put out a new cache on halloween day though. Much less strenous plus I still got to bed on time. Made my fever go through the roof, but it was a lot of fun.

They hadn't posted their log yet when I replied. Now they have logged and posted their photos:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...fd-28ca3b7dc716

I have added some photos they didn't take:

8784bdbf-2893-45c6-bb23-8f7afa67fd3d.jpg

18e35a34-9c28-47c5-90dc-c04c58732ce4.jpg

4800991e-88e5-487b-91b4-97dbcbd641cb.jpg

I should add it is almost 1/4 mile into a swamp.

Edited by Swamp-Thing

We had our Camping SETX Style Event this weekend and of course, did some geocaching this evening. One of the things i had fun with was taking the boat out into the swamp and finding caches by light of the almost full moon. This was lot's of fun with good friends!

My Halloween DNF log for Sadie's Halloween Cache:

Words fail me on this one, so I'll just paraphrase a little speech by Sally Brown that sums up my feelings pretty well:

"I was robbed! I spent the whole day looking for a geocache when I could have been out for Tricks or Treats! Halloween is over and I missed it! I didn't get a chance to to go out for Tricks or Treats! What a fool I was! I could have had candy, apples and gum, and cookies and money and all sorts of things, but no! What a fool I was! Tricks or Treats comes only once a year and I miss it by looking for a geocache like a blockhead!"

I even had a "Bones" TB ready to drop. In the words of Charles Brown, "Aaagh!!"

We went out for a night cache that posted......the spooky part is it's near an abandoned bridge that's too washed out and treacherous to cross yet the teenagers do it anyway. Supposedly you'll hear a shrill scream at night while out there. I guess the story is true because, as we were signing the logbook, a pack of teens came out to the bridge. I came walking out of the woods in a hoodie at 6'-3" and scared the bejeebus out of some teenage girl. The others were completely oblivious to my presence. I told them to have fun but to be safe.

The only thing I did last night was try and keep the raccoons away from the house. I don't why, but there was one that was particularly determined to sneak up to the house, peek in our window and watch us while we were trying to sleep. Freaked our poor indoor and outdoor kitties to death. Ok, it freaked me out, a little, too. The thought of those little eyes staring in at me, watching me, for who knows what reason. B) Maybe it was the (almost) full moon. :anicute::rolleyes:

You may want to read Dean Koontz's Winter Moon (originally named Invasion, according to Wikipedia).

In case you don't but feel curious... (spoilers below)

Somewhere in the middle of the book, an unknown entity takes over the mind (and body) of animals and they spy on humans. Peering into the house through the windows. Exactly what you're describing.

If you find mysterious clods of dirt in the house, don't wait, start running.

The only thing I did last night was try and keep the raccoons away from the house. I don't why, but there was one that was particularly determined to sneak up to the house, peek in our window and watch us while we were trying to sleep. Freaked our poor indoor and outdoor kitties to death. Ok, it freaked me out, a little, too. The thought of those little eyes staring in at me, watching me, for who knows what reason. :D Maybe it was the (almost) full moon. :(B)

You may want to read Dean Koontz's Winter Moon (originally named Invasion, according to Wikipedia).

In case you don't but feel curious... (spoilers below)

Somewhere in the middle of the book, an unknown entity takes over the mind (and body) of animals and they spy on humans. Peering into the house through the windows. Exactly what you're describing.

If you find mysterious clods of dirt in the house, don't wait, start running.

Hey, now! Don't you tell me those things! It's hard enough, living out in the boonies with all the raccoons and cougars and coyotes and what not! You don't have to make it any harder for me!!! :laughing::(:rolleyes:B):anicute::D

We cached our way to two Haunted Houses in neighboring towns. In the process I may have created a monster. Went with some friends, and while our wifes don't get it, I know he is hooked. We found a few on the way, and then made plan to spend the day on Sunday. Had a lot of fun seeing my 16yr old daughter, who for some reason is scared of clowns, run for her life from a man with a chainsaw and clown outfit. I never see her move that fast when we ask her to do something.

Just for laughs, I returned to the site of one placed a year ago.. Shelter's Haunt by Night, GC1CHRA.

It was raining, dark (got dark around 5:30PM EDT) and I picked the furthest place to park, about 1.6 miles south. (knowing full well the closer entrance was a mile+ past where the NuVi told me to go. D'OH!)

dead silence except the falling rain, and wind.. Yet, I kept calm (that, and armed with a telescoping Treking Stick. I nearly took a bike rider's head off, when he came up behind me on a trail.. His clearing his throat sounded like a bear growl!!! I think we scared the crap out of each-other!))

Alas, I had to let the owner know the cache has been compromised.. 1st stage had a bison tube in it, and I couldn't find it.. Last log said it was found 21 days before.. Imagine if it was still there, it fell into the leaves.

Stephen (gelfling6)