GPS & Laptop

What software would be required to show a scrolling map on my laptop with a GPSr attached while driving in my vechile? I have a 60 csx and a laptop with windows 7.

Any that supports an external GPSr.

I have used Mapsource (using nRoute), MS S&T and Delorme over the years with a GPS III, 60CS and I currently do it via BT with a Garmin 10x using MS S&T mostly as this is my map of choice however have switched to Delorme when necessary.

I also us GPSgate so I can switch between the map and GSAK, but the program is very buggy and support for it is practically non-existent.

Admittedly I never tried it with my Colorado.

I currently use Win 7, previously I had a severe virus on my laptop called Vista which it still worked with and on my previous laptop, XP and 2000. No problems with any of them.

Edited by baloo&bd

Thanks for the info, I will give these a try.

What software would be required to show a scrolling map on my laptop with a GPSr attached while driving in my vechile? I have a 60 csx and a laptop with windows 7.

Any that supports an external GPSr.

I have used Mapsource (using nRoute), MS S&T and Delorme over the years with a GPS III, 60CS and I currently do it via BT with a Garmin 10x using MS S&T mostly as this is my map of choice however have switched to Delorme when necessary.

I also us GPSgate so I can switch between the map and GSAK, but the program is very buggy and support for it is practically non-existent.

Admittedly I never tried it with my Colorado.

I currently use Win 7, previously I had a severe virus on my laptop called Vista which it still worked with and on my previous laptop, XP and 2000. No problems with any of them.

Mind if I ask why?

A laptop is pretty large and unwieldy to use as a navigation device, if that's what you're looking for. A basic dedicated street navigation GPS can be purchased for less than the cost of most map software packages.

You may have some other purpose in mind, however..

..a

A basic dedicated street navigation GPS can be purchased for less than the cost of most map software packages.

You haven't checked prices lately, I think. The only dedicated personal navigation device you can get for less than the price of the software-only versions of Streets & Trips, Street Atlas or Mobile PC will be from your neighbourhood fence. And you better have your oven mitts on when you take delivery out of the back of that van. :(

Seriously, for the price of a cheap PND you can get the versions of Streets&Trips, Street Atlas or Mobile PC that include a nice USB GPS receiver. But the original poster can use the 60CSx so no need for another receiver.

It's a really inexpensive way to get a nice big-screen nav system. It's especially useful if you also want to do some pre-trip planning. The little screens on the PNDs aren't really usable to do serious trip planning with.

...ken...

I plan on using mapsource so I can see my position in relation to the geocaches in the area, which is hard to do on a PND.

Mind if I ask why?

A laptop is pretty large and unwieldy to use as a navigation device, if that's what you're looking for. A basic dedicated street navigation GPS can be purchased for less than the cost of most map software packages.

You may have some other purpose in mind, however..

..a

You haven't checked prices lately, I think. The only dedicated personal navigation device you can get for less than the price of the software-only versions of Streets & Trips, Street Atlas or Mobile PC will be from your neighbourhood fence.

Slickdeals will show the Magellan Roadmate I bought for $150 3 years ago for only $50 every week or two. "everyday" price at many stores is only $60. It's still the only street GPS I own. Still, won't show caches.

I plan on using mapsource so I can see my position in relation to the geocaches in the area, which is hard to do on a PND.

Got it. I use my handheld GPS for that.. :( I don't like carrying any of my laptops "into the field"..

..a

You haven't checked prices lately, I think. The only dedicated personal navigation device you can get for less than the price of the software-only versions of Streets & Trips, Street Atlas or Mobile PC will be from your neighbourhood fence.

Slickdeals will show the Magellan Roadmate I bought for $150 3 years ago for only $50 every week or two. "everyday" price at many stores is only $60. It's still the only street GPS I own. Still, won't show caches.

Got it. I use my handheld GPS for that.. :( I don't like carrying any of my laptops "into the field"..

..a

I used to carry my laptop with me for various reasons. Carry the GSAK database and customize the download to the GPS, Use it for more customized routing along with a larger display to see the area better on the map. Quick stops at hotspots, etc. It's about delivery of services a single purpose device is unable to manage. And when a PDA is in use; sometimes it is inadequate. Yes there are those smartphones that are capable of some of these things, but they don't do everything. Sometimes, a laptop just makes perfectly good sense.

In this game, one size does not fit all.

Slickdeals will show the Magellan Roadmate I bought for $150 3 years ago for only $50 every week or two. "everyday" price at many stores is only $60.

Yeah, I know. But the regular price for the Streets&Trips 2010 software is $39.95 or with GPS receiver it's $69.95.

DeLorme Street Atlas 2010 software is $39.95 or with GPS receiver it's $64.95.

Garmin Mobile PC is a little more expensive. It's $59.95 for the software and $99.95 with GPS receiver.

So the original poster can have a lovely big-screen GPS using his excellent 60CSx - one of the best GPS receivers around - and even the higher priced software for 60 bucks.

It gets better than that. He mentioned that he wants to use Mapsource to see nearby caches. If he just wants to use free topo maps with Mapsource, he can use Garmin's nRoute nav software with his 60CSx for free. It will show any of the geocaches he loads into Mapsource in nRoute so he can see what's near his GPS location. (He can read lots about nRoute if he follows that link to Laptop GPS World above and goes to the Garmin Mobile PC section.)

...ken...

Thanks for that link, I was having problems finding a site to download it from. I have it on my computer now, when I get it up and running I will post a note to let you know how I made out. Thanks everybody for all the help.

Brian

Garmin nroute will do the trick if you can find a download for it somewhere. Fugawi will work as well. Not sure about OziExplorer.

nRoute is available here:

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/msource/

Just scroll to the bottom of the list for ver. 2.76.

...ken...

Thank You to everybody who answered my question, I now have nroute up and running. I attached my GPS and took a short drive, it seems to work great. Your support made it fast and painless to get setup.

Brian

Thank You to everybody who answered my question, I now have nroute up and running. I attached my GPS and took a short drive, it seems to work great. Your support made it fast and painless to get setup.

Brian

Glad it works, Brian.

A couple of things you need to be aware of:

If you ever want to use waypoints and/or routes from Mapsource in nRoute you need to Save As "Garmin GPS Database version 2 (*.GDB)". The default version 3 GDB format will not work in nRoute.

nRoute also does not support the newer Garmin map formats, starting with City Navigator 2010 and the newest Topo releases. You need to run them through a "reverser" utility program to get them into a format that nRoute will use. Any map that works in Mapsource 6.13.7 will work in nRoute. If the map doesn't work in Mapsource 6.13.7, you are out of luck in nRoute.

Happy trails. B)

...ken...

Thanks for the info Ken, I am sure some of that would have been my next questions.

I am using Ibycus Topo maps and they seem to work good together.

Brian

Brian

Glad it works, Brian.

A couple of things you need to be aware of:

If you ever want to use waypoints and/or routes from Mapsource in nRoute you need to Save As "Garmin GPS Database version 2 (*.GDB)". The default version 3 GDB format will not work in nRoute.

nRoute also does not support the newer Garmin map formats, starting with City Navigator 2010 and the newest Topo releases. You need to run them through a "reverser" utility program to get them into a format that nRoute will use. Any map that works in Mapsource 6.13.7 will work in nRoute. If the map doesn't work in Mapsource 6.13.7, you are out of luck in nRoute.

Happy trails. :rolleyes:

...ken...

Google Earth is another option.

You have to make sure the area you will be navigating is in the cache (Of GE) before driving... It would just mean zooming in (at home while connected to the internet (unless you have some sort of mobile internet connection)) and navigating the route you actually anticipate driving. Since the cache only holds 2gig, I've heard of people having multiple cache files... It's not really very user friendly, but it's kind of cool to be driving along and watching you progress on GE.

You can try it at home if your GPS has a demo mode. Set your gps in Demo mode, enter a route, have the GPS simulate driving the route, connect the GPS to the computer, start GE, go to tools, then GPS, go to real time and check "Automatically follow the path". As your GPS simulates navigating the route, your progress will be shown in GE.

In the real world, while driving, connect the GPS to the computer, start GE, go to tools, then GPS, go to real time, and check "Automatically follow the path". As you drive around, you GPS feeds location information to GE. GE will plot your progress on the screen...

Check this out:

http://www.gaiagi.com/3d-driving-simulator/index.html

If you enter a From: and To: then hit Start, the top middle window will give you an idea of what your progress in GE will look like...

But as others have said, nRoute works nicely. Just thought I toss out another option.

Sam

Edited by SamSpade47