Downloading from Groundspeak.

Greysquirrel34

I am sure that these question have been asked and answered before but I can't find the answers to downloading to my Garmin Vista HCx.

I have downloaded both EasyGPS and Garmin Communicator and have put a Casch page into EasyGPS but have not transferred it my my GPS.

I see that EasyGPS downloads the page to my computer then I can transfer it to my GPS, but when it goes to the GPS are the coordinates displayed so I can us GO TO to find casch, does the same think happen when you click directly on the "Send to GPS" link, or are these two different functions and do different things and do I need to use both of these applications? Or are these just information programs and give me no more information than if I printed out the casch page?

If there is a link somewhere giving me the answers please give it to me if not I am sure someone will have the answers for me.

All you can download as a basic member are the coordinates and name of the cache via a .LOC file. You can then use EasyGPS (or many others) to upload the data into your unit.

Once transferred to your GPS - all you need to do is select "find" and then "Geocaches" - a list of the nearest caches will be shown for you to select one. After you select one - press "goto". I would suggect using the compass screen to navigate to the cache as it shown the distance yet to go and the direction you need to go in.

GS, I'm new at this too, one of our units is a Garmin Etrex Venture HC that we've had about a week and are going through the learning curve. We use GSAK (I'm not a technical type but am managing it.) Our Garmin will load straight from Geo-caching.com when connected with cable and the Garmin program is running. This works well for a select few caches at a time. (The Garmin is turned on and in geo-caching mode.) Just click the "send to gps tab.

We use GSAK to download a lot of caches at one time and to filter the way we want the information sent to the gps. I believe EASYGPS does the same thing as GSAK, Neither is necessary. You may want to simplify and download right from Geo-caching to the unit, find the page that displays your waypoints and from there select a cache and use the "go to" function.

I'm sure someone a lot more knowledgeable will come along, 'till then I hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, got casches into GPS only problem I seem to have or maybe it's just me as I am using a windows machine and my main computer is a Mac running OS x.3 and there is not a lot out there free tha runs well with that OS, there is one that cost $69.95 but thats not for me right now.

The problem if it is one is that when I same a location it is save separately I would think and maybe it does it would go into EasyGPS all on one page and you could just click on it to edit it. I will check out their websiite when i get time, it's not really a big deal.