New 15-digit unlock codes not working?

matejcik

I sent a message to Groundspeak about this.

Actually, I couldn't try it myself at that time. I had just finished shooting a haunted attraction and was in my car a little past 2AM, reading the topic. It was one of those busy weekends.

I have now had time to test this. I downloaded and successfully unlocked the BMW Tour in Moscow cartridge. Can you do so, matejcik? If you can, which cartridge did you try to produce the problem? And by "recently downloaded cartridge," you mean a cartridge downloaded within the past week, right?

I'm going to guess this may be related to the cartridge download problem we recently experienced. The cartridge download error, from what I've been able to gather from talking with Groundspeak, was related to creating the unlock code for user accounts. It makes sense to guess the same users who had trouble downloading cartridges will now have trouble unlocking them. However, matejcik didn't have trouble downloading cartridges, so there might be a little more to this.

thanks for the info.

yes, by "recently downloaded" i mean during the last week, and it doesn't seem to depend on cartridge, but it does seem to depend on the user.

I might have isolated the problem, though:

For me, the "15-digit" unlock codes always seem to have 16 characters. (example is the BMW tour in moscow, which gave me an unlock code GE3TAOBVGQYTSNZQ) When i try to unlock with this code, it fails. But when i deleted the last Q, the 15-character unlock code (GE3TAOBVGQYTSNZ) was accepted.

(emulator reads 16 characters too, so this is not openwig-specific)

i sent a message to the other users to confirm this

Very interesting indeed. My unlock code was "G4YDENZZGY2TAMA", fifteen characters. And now that I think about it, I can unlock any cartridge I want. Duh. I guess it took a moment to think of the trick. Another cartridge's unlock code was "G4YTAMZZGQZTAMA". The trick is silly and should remain off the forum, though it's pointless at this time to unlock a cartridge. It's not like there's anywhere to tell you which cartridges you have unlocked.

All this leads me to many tantalizing tangents. I'll skip them in the interest of not derailing the topic.

it seems that the new unlock codes generated in recently downloaded cartridges aren't recognized by Wherigo.com. which is a problem for openWIG players, because they can't unlock using gws files.

anybody knows a workaround or solution for this?

Yup, saw the problem two weeks ago and wanted to investigate further. Now, I at least know it wasn't me!

I had the download problem and now I also have the unlock problem. I couldn't upload the file - I got Error - The file was unreadable by the system. When I tried unlocking using the code it told me the code was wrong. Deleting the last Q in the code did work however. Thank you.

thanks for the info.

yes, by "recently downloaded" i mean during the last week, and it doesn't seem to depend on cartridge, but it does seem to depend on the user.

I might have isolated the problem, though:

For me, the "15-digit" unlock codes always seem to have 16 characters. (example is the BMW tour in moscow, which gave me an unlock code GE3TAOBVGQYTSNZQ) When i try to unlock with this code, it fails. But when i deleted the last Q, the 15-character unlock code (GE3TAOBVGQYTSNZ) was accepted.

(emulator reads 16 characters too, so this is not openwig-specific)

i sent a message to the other users to confirm this