Magellan triton 500 or 400

crisi4444

Hello...

Im new to geocaching and have been surfing the internet for some good gps devices (price range: 200-270euros) that wont loose reception in woods.I have found the Magellan triton 500 and the Megallan triton 400 ..........

Which one should I buy??

if anybody has any experiencis with these devices then please post some pros or cons...

P.S.: If anybody recommends a different device then plz post it.

I have a Triton 500 myself and love it. Its perfect for caching. Very accurate and simple to use menu system. There was a time not so long ago I would have said you may want to look at another device but with the latest firmware they put out the Triton are pretty much bug free.

Only difference between the 400 and the 500 its the 3-axis electronic compass and Barometer. I have used the compass once or twice I dont really need it. Some cachers love it but i think it boils down to personal pereference.

Good Luck.....

Hello...

Im new to geocaching and have been surfing the internet for some good gps devices (price range: 200-270euros) that wont loose reception in woods.I have found the Magellan triton 500 and the Megallan triton 400 ..........

Which one should I buy??

if anybody has any experiencis with these devices then please post some pros or cons...

P.S.: If anybody recommends a different device then plz post it.

Unless the price is super cheap I wouldn't go with either device. You'd be better off with an Garmin Oregon or Dakota. If you were stateside I might recommend the Delorme, but they have very limited maps outside of north america.

I've had the triton 500, Triton 2000, and Garmin Oregon 300. And the Oregon is easily 3X as good a unit.

The Triton has bad user interface on the device, You can only use Vantagepoint to put caches on the device. Vantagepoint is a very slow and buggy program. The Triton also doesn't allow for street routing.

The oregon has it's downsides as well. Cost is high and the screen is not optimal, but is very usable.

200-270 Euros (290 to 400 US dollars) for a Triton 400-500 is a total rip off. They were selling Triton 400's at Walmart for 99 American dollars just a few weeks ago. If you plan on spending 200 to 270 euros, get a much more modern and quicker Garmin unit like the Colorado or Dakota.

I own a triton 500. If you can get one for a really, really, really good price, I recommend it. It's a good unit for geocaching. But do not pay anywhere near MSRP for one.

These days, reception issues are not a problem. All units now have a high sensitive chip.

If you run anything other the Windows, the Triton won't work.

i guess im going to choose between the garmin dakato 20 and the triton 500....

the currnet prices in austria(no kangaroos in austria :( ) (and the cheapest i can find) are :

dakato 20: 303 euros

triton 500: 270 euros

since i am a beginner i would rather take a cheaper option .....but i dont which one i should get.

Edited by crisi4444

i guess im going to choose between the garmin dakato 20 and the triton 500....

the currnet prices in austria(no kangaroos in austria :( ) (and the cheapest i can find) are :

dakato 20: 303 euros

triton 500: 270 euros

since i am a beginner i would rather take a cheaper option .....but i dont which one i should get.

WOW, 270.00 EUR ($399 USD) for the Triton 500?!?!?!? Thats crazy expensive. I only paid $200 USD for my triton 1500. And 303.00 EUR ($448 USD) for the Dakota, you can get the Origon 550 for that much here. Do you know anybody in the states that can buy it for you locally and ship it? it would save you a bundle.

www.amazon.de prices - not sure if it would cost more to ship it to Austria instead of Germany though.

Oregon 300 EURO 279

Vista HCX EURO 183

60CSx EURO 232

Legend HCx EURO 160

Oregon 200 Euro 200

Those prices on the Triton seem insane to me, about 1/3rd the price here in the states.

www.amazon.de prices - not sure if it would cost more to ship it to Austria instead of Germany though.

Oregon 300 EURO 279

Vista HCX EURO 183

60CSx EURO 232

Legend HCx EURO 160

Oregon 200 Euro 200

Those prices on the Triton seem insane to me, about 1/3rd the price here in the states.

if its amazon that sends it and not somebody sending throuch amazon then its free if you pay over 20 euros