Protocol on disabled caches?

eflyguy

For example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC19BEX

Was marked inactive Jan 12, apparently they haven't even checked on it, or at least, haven't bothered to post any additional notes.

What is the protocol here? Can they be 'flagged' to be archived?

..a

Log a SBA (should be archived)

And before someone comes in accusing people of being the cache police, we ARE the cache police, all of us.

There is one in my area that has been disabled for over two years, I am currently trying to contact the owner with no avail. There has been two SBA requests(one from me) and another cacher chastising us for not contacting the owner(which I am trying), saying that the cache is one of the oldest in the area(2002) and needs to be fixed. Here is the kicker, there was another cache that was placed(2008) less that 150ft from the disabled one. What is up with this. :rolleyes:

For example:

Was marked inactive Jan 12, apparently they haven't even checked on it, or at least, haven't bothered to post any additional notes.

..a

Looks like the cache owners are still active... at least they were online on October 13. Curious that your reviewer hasn't posted a warning note. You might send the reviewer (erik88l-r) an email asking about it... it could be that he has been in private contact with the cache owners and possibly knows of some extenuating circumstances.

As to Col. Flagg's cache issue... definately ask the reviewer about that one. If its true, it is very strange, indeed!

..a

Anyone can flag any cache at any time with an SBA log.

The real question is what's reasonable? The answer to that is "It depends". It's cache specific.

Personally I'm not going to worry about any owner who plans on getting to it as time and life allow. Meaning I really don't care how long they need as long as they will eventually get to it. I developed that philospy when I realized that every single thing in real life trumps what we all do for enjoyment.

Alas that lesson is lost on finders who are a bit picky in enjoying the work of other people.

...And before someone comes in accusing people of being the cache police, we ARE the cache police, all of us.

Cache police as practiced means second guessing the people who actually did the work and jumping to conclusions based on insuffient information and ignorance of the situation. In other words it's about as good as a forum opinion.

I'm not on board with that when it comes to real caches.

Protocol on disabled caches? How long can they sit idle?

Sometimes years.

I've got one I need to check on. They just finished a 2 year project, but before that one opened the access back up, they started another multi year project.

What's reasonable? However long they need to build the hospital and open back up access and then some more time because time and life makes it's own demands.

<snip> The real question is what's reasonable? The answer to that is "It depends". It's cache specific.<snip>

I think that we should all be "cache aware citizens", rather than "cache police". My opinion is that a cache should not remain disabled for 5, 6, 7, or more months unless there's a reasonable reason for its dormancy.

As cache aware citizens we can, and should, bring any concerns to the attention of our local reviewers: They are our Cache Police. It's up to them to investigate our concerns and take action, if they feel it is necessary.

MrsB

Sometimes years.

Not my my neck of the woods. Our reviewer keeps close tabs on caches that have been disabled, and posts a note after 3 months, then gives the owers a couple more months to fix it up or archive it before he archives it (assuming he doesn't hear of extenuating circumstances from the cache owner, that is).

For example:

..a

Log a SBA (should be archived)

And before someone comes in accusing people of being the cache police, we ARE the cache police, all of us.

Still, I wouldn't suggest you post an NA on a missing cache that you haven't tried to find yourself. If the OP searched for it and couldn't find it, then perhaps

You are quite correct wrt each of us being The Cache Police.

Most of us do this out of a love and respect for the game and our caching compadres.

We know the difference between right and wrong and what actions in the field that can refelect poorly upon the geocaching community.

We do not make a big deal about it. We simply do what we believe to be the right thing in a given circumstance. We are not fearful.

We do not blab about it.

Edited by Team Cotati
For example:

..a

Am I the Cache Log Police if I point out that the cacher who posted the "Needs Maintenance" on the cache didn't post a DNF? :)

Am I the Cache Log Police if I point out that the cacher who posted the "Needs Maintenance" on the cache didn't post a DNF? :)

Since you are not required to log all DNFs, then one wouldn't be accused of being a cache log cop. If one were to point something like that, they would simply be accused of being petty.

Remember, don't pet the sweaty things.

Sometimes years.

Not my my neck of the woods. Our reviewer keeps close tabs on caches that have been disabled, and posts a note after 3 months, then gives the owers a couple more months to fix it up or archive it before he archives it (assuming he doesn't hear of extenuating circumstances from the cache owner, that is).

You just went full circle to where I started with your reviewer understanding the concept of "it depends".

That said, I don't really care to jump when some snippy finder cracks the whip about their expectations on me maintaining my caches. Some are so brazen they expect me to go verify my cache is there before they leave their living room and hunt it.

Prospective Finder: "The last find was a year ago and it hasnt' been logged since, can you go check on it?"

Me: "No."

3 Months isn't long, That will barely see you through a wedding and only scratch the surface of helping out someone on chemo. Life happens. In time it will happen to every person here in this forum. Some will ask their friends for help. Great. Some will choose to not impose on others for their responsablity. Perfect.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Since you are not required to log all DNFs, then one wouldn't be accused of being a cache log cop. If one were to point something like that, they would simply be accused of being petty.

Remember, don't pet the sweaty things.

Perfect, thanks.

There are many caches around here that were place by a Team. Some of them are in the "questionable existance" catagory. Several members of the Team have left the area and the remaining members have no idea where the caches are located and seemingly could care less if they are missing or not.

What am I to do? I would love to find them, but there are a year's worth of DNFs and NMs on them already with no action.

There are many caches around here that were place by a Team. Some of them are in the "questionable existance" catagory. Several members of the Team have left the area and the remaining members have no idea where the caches are located and seemingly could care less if they are missing or not.

What am I to do? I would love to find them, but there are a year's worth of DNFs and NMs on them already with no action.

If you have looked for it and it is gone, if there is a history of DNFs and NMs, and if the cache owner has not logged in in a long time post a Needs Archived. I would do it even if a cache owner is still active if they have not responded to a year of DNFs and NMs.

Sometimes years.

You just went full circle to where I started with your reviewer understanding the concept of "it depends".

I did no such thing. All I said is what our local reviewer does, and anyone that is in his jurisdiction would quickly agree with me.

I can see "it depends" - we've had a lot of flooding here and many caches have been lost or are questionable. Those may be disabled for a while until the owners can check on them. Then we have one alongside a library, where the adjacent building is being demolished. Roped off, not a safe place to visit right now.

..a

Everyone has their own particular comfort zone for firing off a Needs Archived log.

Mine requires a few things:

1 ) A cache in serious need of help.

2 ) A community unwilling to unofficially adopt it.

3 ) An absent owner.

4 ) A visit from me to personally verify the conditions.

It should be noted that these are my own biased rules, and not Groundspeak policy.

I appreciate the discussion on "cache police".

I tend to post a lot of "needs maintence" and "Needs ARchiving", but I'll only do it in if I feel it's absolutely necessary.

There are TONS of caches in my area (less now) that have been disabled for 9 months or more.

There are a lot of caches that have DNF's on them for months with no response from the cache owner.

Others have said it's nice to e-mail the cache owner first, and I think it's a good idea, because not everyone reads all of the logs on their caches. Some people with 100 or more hides just can't.

I've put a "Needs archiving" on a cache as a last resort if nothing else I did got the CO's attention if the cache had many, many DNF's and no attention, but only after a "needs maintence" and an e-mail.

Some in the area may think of me as the cache police, but so many don't bother to follow up on broken down caches. I write notes on them and put a watch on them to see if they get taken care of.

I hate to be thought of like that, but heck, someone has to do this, and most people just move on and forget it. That's how we've ended up with so many problem caches.