GPX Files on the Oregon

Cancel the above..............for once I have found the answer to one of my queries!

From the Garmin Oregon Wiki, if anyone else needed to know;

GC4.) How many geocaches can I load onto my Garmin Oregon?

The Oregon 300 and 400 support up to a maximum of 2000 geocaches (in addition to the 1000 waypoint limit). The Oregon 550 supports up to 5000 geocaches. All Oregons support a maximum of 200 gpx files. If you exceed either the geocache limit or the 200 file limit the Oregon will warn you.

At the moment I have 6 GPS files loaded on the internal memory so 3000 caches + assoc. waypoints.

Haven't tried to load more as I haven't needed to. Plus you could add a microSD card so I guess you could load thousands and thousands if you wanted too!

Edited to add - oops! Didn't read Nick & Ali's last post!

Useful to know how many though :)

Edited by *mouse*

That is just what I needed to know but now I know I have a problem with my Oregon 300. Several times I have loaded a gpx file containing caches for an area I was off to visit and on arrival found the caches weren't there - despite showing on my computer that they were. Yesterday was such a day. We travelled 100 miles to Bucks to do a series and no caches on the gps. Luckily I had a backup as I had also loaded them in cachemate on my Mio.

I thought maybe the memory was full - but apparently not. Today I emptied all the caches from the Oregon then dragged across a local gpx file. Again nothing though the file showed up that it was there on my PC. So I tried again this time copying and pasting - with success.

I also have problems turning it on sometimes. It hangs up so I have to disconnect the batteries then try again. Should I contact Garmin?

Are you putting them within the GPX folder? I don't think it looks anywhere else so if they are outside that folder it won't see them.

You are correct, that is my understanding too. The GPX files have to be in the \GARMIN\GPX directory in the internal storage or on the MicroSD card in the same named directory. Either way the 200, 300, etc can only handle a maximum of 2000 caches. You can get round that limitation by exporting caches as POIs instead. I do this with all caches I have found and placed. Works very well.

To do this I use GSAK.

Furthermore, make sure you've upgraded the firmware to the latest release (3.20) as this solves a number of issues and adds lots of new functionality.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

That is just what I needed to know but now I know I have a problem with my Oregon 300. Several times I have loaded a gpx file containing caches for an area I was off to visit and on arrival found the caches weren't there - despite showing on my computer that they were. Yesterday was such a day. We travelled 100 miles to Bucks to do a series and no caches on the gps. Luckily I had a backup as I had also loaded them in cachemate on my Mio.

I thought maybe the memory was full - but apparently not. Today I emptied all the caches from the Oregon then dragged across a local gpx file. Again nothing though the file showed up that it was there on my PC. So I tried again this time copying and pasting - with success.

I also have problems turning it on sometimes. It hangs up so I have to disconnect the batteries then try again. Should I contact Garmin?

I have exactly the same problem.

I use GSAK to transfer caches in 1 (or maybe 2) gpx files, but sometimes when I disconnect from the PC and switch on the unit it freezes, and I have to remove/replace the batteries.

Strangely though, after doing the above, sometimes the caches load, and sometimes they don't.

Now, I always check that they are loaded before leaving the house!

Are you putting them within the GPX folder? I don't think it looks anywhere else so if they are outside that folder it won't see them.

You are correct, that is my understanding too. The GPX files have to be in the \GARMIN\GPX directory in the internal storage or on the MicroSD card in the same named directory. Either way the 200, 300, etc can only handle a maximum of 2000 caches. You can get round that limitation by exporting caches as POIs instead. I do this with all caches I have found and placed. Works very well.

To do this I use GSAK.

Furthermore, make sure you've upgraded the firmware to the latest release (3.20) as this solves a number of issues and adds lots of new functionality.

Regards,

Martin

Yes I am putting them in the Garmin / GPX folder on the internal storage and they show there while I have the unit connected to the PC. Yesterday I had my East Anglia file in the same location. When I arrived in Bucks the EA file was still there but the Bucks file wasn't, yet they both showed to be in the same folder on the Oregon. It's impossible to check until you get near to a place whether they are there. Or is it?

I also find that the waypoint memory shows to be full. I don't see how as it has only a very small gpx file loaded. Or don't the child waypoints get deleted when you delete the gpx file?

I do find this unit to be frustrating. I have upgraded the firmware by the way.

Maybe I have a rogue unit?

It's impossible to check until you get near to a place whether they are there. Or is it?

I also find that the waypoint memory shows to be full. I don't see how as it has only a very small gpx file loaded. Or don't the child waypoints get deleted when you delete the gpx file?

Drag the map over on the screen of your Oregon to view that area.

It's impossible to check until you get near to a place whether they are there. Or is it?

Drag the map over on the screen of your Oregon to view that area.

Or search by name. If you know/ can remember one of the names for a cache you loaded!

In line with the above theme - i have just got an oregon 200 - no probs in downloading waypoints and files etc.

However i can not seem to be able to delete these files - they dont show up on the delete waypoint function (only ones that you have manually put in seem to be able to be deleted that way)

any help gratefully received

When you connect to your pc you should be able to navigate to your Oregon in explorer - just as you would if you were loading a PQ. On mine it's G:\ - but could be any other drive on your pc.

Your waypoints are in a folder in Garmin called GPX. Delete them as you would any other file.

I have exactly the same problem.

I use GSAK to transfer caches in 1 (or maybe 2) gpx files, but sometimes when I disconnect from the PC and switch on the unit it freezes, and I have to remove/replace the batteries.

Strangely though, after doing the above, sometimes the caches load, and sometimes they don't.

Now, I always check that they are loaded before leaving the house!

I have had all of these problems.. This solution wont prevent the occasional freeze on bootup but just pull the batteries and all should be fine..

I always tend to install .GPX files that have been downloaded from GC (because I have them in areas)

I copy and paste each time but do not instantly disconnect the Oregon the second it indicated the files are copied over (leave it 30 secs).. I always delete area GPX files and recopy them which seems to prevent the missing whole "area" GPX files even though they show as being resident when you brows with explorer.

(Each "area".GPX file I load tends to be of 500 caches.. Normally I load 4 at a time)

Hi Weston Wanderer.

This happened to me once. I did a reset on the Oregon - turn the unit off, press and hold the top left hand corner of the screen, then power the unit back on while still holding the top left hand corner. It will ask you if you want to delete all user data - tap yes. I then reloaded the GPX files and all has been fine since. Might be worth a try.....

Hi Weston Wanderer.

This happened to me once. I did a reset on the Oregon - turn the unit off, press and hold the top left hand corner of the screen, then power the unit back on while still holding the top left hand corner. It will ask you if you want to delete all user data - tap yes. I then reloaded the GPX files and all has been fine since. Might be worth a try.....

Another cause of 'missing caches' that I discovered is the source of the GPX file is 'shared' in any way... Let me explain...

If you use GSAK to load th oregon, and some of the caches in GSAK have, at any time in the past, been obtained from a PQ that isn't yours (maybe you shared a my finds PQ before joint caching, or a friend provided you with a GPX for a holiday destination) then there is a tag set in GSAK that says 'Geocache Found' for any that your friend has found. GSAK calculates your found count correctly using your logs, but this tag could be sitting there for any caches found by your friend, and you may not notice.

When you import into the oregon, the device uses this tag to determine found caches, and lists them instead under Geocaches Found, and they don't show up when you search for nearby caches.

The easiest way to check (and this is how I noticed when it happened to me) is to look at your found caches on the oregon, and see if there are any that you haven't actually found!

hope that makes sense!

Dave

Don;t forget that waypoints are NOT deleted from the CO/OR when the GPX file is deleted!

I have just learned that from reading these posts. I couldn't understand why my waypoint memory was full when I have been careful to delete any gpx files I no longer needed. I now now I had months' worth of waypoints still there.

Surely Garmin could associate child waypoints with their parent caches to make it a more user friendly geocaching unit?

Don;t forget that waypoints are NOT deleted from the CO/OR when the GPX file is deleted!

This is a real pain. There are some waypoints I want to keep. Is there anyway I can delete waypoint by type as I can witht he 60CSx? There must be a way to delete all the child waypoints without having to delete them individually.

I've been using the GSAK "ColoradoExportBeta" macro - so all child waypoints (and my finds/owned caches) get sent across as POI's rather than waypoints.

I realise it won't solve the problem of keeping some waypoints you've already set up...but in my case those are in a separate waypoints file in \GPX anyway.

This is a real pain. There are some waypoints I want to keep. Is there anyway I can delete waypoint by type as I can witht he 60CSx? There must be a way to delete all the child waypoints without having to delete them individually.

I think for the Oregon I'll just import the caches. The child waypoints / caches I'll import to the 60CSx, as it's easier to delete them.

Not being able to delete waypoints by type is a ridiculous oversight with the Oregon.......or have I just missed something?

Well I thought my problems had been solved untill a few days ago.

Loaded my 4*500 gpx and set off for the day. Nearest 500 not found Harrogate/Sheffield/Derby/Nottingham.

At lunchtime turned on the Oregon and looked for the nearest cache (near Derby)..

Only one showed up a sepratly loaded LQ Lancashire.

So I did a reset as Mouse described (and I had done the previous day).

After reset returned to Geocaching profile (the only alteration I make) and all the caches where displayed.

So it may be worth doing a reset "in the field" if you cannot see contents of gpx files on the device. :)