Bearing reading on Colorado

LibDocAbq

Well I tried the fizzycalc program but while it was easy to use I question the result.

I used to points that I collected which I am guessing are about 450 ft apart yet the result came back 4965,713 ft?? The forward azimuth was 78 degrees which could be correct??

These are my points N35 09.403 W106 29.187

N035 09.565 W106 28.210

I also tried change the data fields when I am in the compass setting (after setting a waypoint via go to)

As far as I can tell there is no "bearing" option. It gives tons of other options, time of day, temp, time to next, odometer, etc.

I am embarrassed that I can't figure this out. Again, I have a Colorado 300.

Thanks

I also tried change the data fields when I am in the compass setting (after setting a waypoint via go to)

As far as I can tell there is no "bearing" option. It gives tons of other options, time of day, temp, time to next, odometer, etc.

It sounds like you are in the right place. "Bearing" really IS in the list. The list is in alphabetical order. Use the RnR to scroll up and down the list. Bearing is the third option in the list, right behind Accuracy of GPS and Battery Level.

Well I tried the fizzycalc program but while it was easy to use I question the result.

I used to points that I collected which I am guessing are about 450 ft apart yet the result came back 4965,713 ft?? The forward azimuth was 78 degrees which could be correct??

N035 09.565 W106 28.210

Those two coordinates are about 0.9 miles apart, also known as 4965.713 ft (that's POINT 713 feet) and the bearing of 78 degrees from #1 to #2 is correct.

Note the decimal, not the comma. Something in your story (website or program or the computer you were using) is set to European/S.American or some similar regional setting (see Control Panel in Windoze) where they use a comma instead of a decimal to denote the decimal portion of a number. (And vice versa - a period is used to seperate numbers over one thousand 65.535 is 65 thousand five hundred and thirty five)

N035 09.565 W106 28.210

Those two coordinates are about 0.9 miles apart, also known as 4965.713 ft (that's POINT 713 feet) and the bearing of 78 degrees from #1 to #2 is correct.

Note the decimal, not the comma. Something in your story (website or program or the computer you were using) is set to European/S.American or some similar regional setting (see Control Panel in Windoze) where they use a comma instead of a decimal to denote the decimal portion of a number. (And vice versa - a period is used to seperate numbers over one thousand 65.535 is 65 thousand five hundred and thirty five)

that is impressive. can you give me a starting point to learn how to do that? i would be so happy if i could figure out the stuff i highlighted.

There are probably other ways, but how I did it was to use MapSource (Garmin's PC program) and made two waypoints with your two coordinates, then just used the Distance/Bearing tool and set my start as Point #1 and moused over to point#2. The distance & bearing shows up in the status line at bottom.

Make sure whatever program you are using is set to True North for bearing and to Degrees/Decimal Minutes to use your coordinates in the format shown (or convert your coordsinates).

These are my points

N35 09.403 W106 29.187

N035 09.565 W106 28.210

FizzyCalc says they are 4965.713 ft apart and the forward azimuth (the bearing from pt 1 to pt 2) is about 78.6 degrees.

Those values are correct.

Edited by fizzymagic