! COINTEST !

Team Van Stoffelen

In 1988 the National team of the Netherlands won the European Championship in football (soccer).

The Netherlands never won a world championship. They reached the finals twice. In 1974 they lost 2-1 against West-Germany and in 1978 they lost 3-1 in extra time against Argentina.

Heineken is a very tasty a nice beer and it is from the Netherlands!!!!

Heineken is originally from Amsterdam and it comes in green bottles. People all over the world are drinking it. It is named after a well known Dutch family, with the name Heineken!

Mr. Freddie Heineken died a few years ago

Johan Cruijff, the best Dutch football player ever, started playing soccer at Ajax. He won the European Cup 1 three times in the early seventies. After Ajax he also played for teams like Barcelona and Feyenoord.

At the end of the 20th century, who was voted the best European soccer player of the century!!!!!

The English used to hold the Dutch in very low regard, on account of the hostilities between their two countries in the 17th century. As a consequence of the previous antagonism, there are numerous English phrases which portray Dutch items in a poor light:

Dutch comfort = cold comfort

Dutch concert = pandemonium

Dutch courage = the courage of drink

Dutch crossing = crossing the street slant wise

Dutch treat = each pays for their own expenses

Going Dutch = sharing the bill

Double Dutch = nonsensical made up language or gibberish

Ummmmm There are speed cameras on the autoroute that goes around Amsterdam. The tickets are rather expensive.

I found this out the hard way when returning to Belgium after being notified that my Wife was in a car accident. I was 3.5 hours into a 6 hour journey. It only took me 3 hours to return. I never saw the camera or the flash.

The ticket was about Euro 120

If you have never had a ticket, this would be something you didnt' know right????

Edited by brewmeister

Why are the people in the Netherlands called 'Dutch'?

Online Etymology tells me the term Dutch stems from the Germanic term 'duutsch' - which referred to the germanic people. The germanic people were all the people speaking germanic languages - now Dutch, German, Friesisch and various dialects in the region.

The 'Pensylvania Dutch' is a term that derives from the old meaning - these are people who emigrated from what's now the Netherlands and Germany to what's now the USA

The gastronomy and hotel business have a regular exhibition called "Die grüne Woche" (the green week).This is the largest exhibition in that business worldwide. It takes place in Germany and people from about 50 countries come there to show their specialities. The Netherlands are the "partner country" of the next "Grüne Woche" in Berlin.

It was a Netherlander that in 1951 as the first foreign exhibitor impressed Konrad Adenauer who was the German Bundeskanzler in those days with his impressing designed fruit and vegetable stand.Since 1953 the Netherlands have taken part in the exhibition and started the progress of international involvement.

Nikos Machlas a great greek football player played in the Netherlands Leage, in the Teams Vitesse and later in Ajax!!!

Machlas scored a disappointing 8 goals in 29 games in his first season in the Eredivisie, but in his second season he scored 34 goals in just 32 games, a feat which earned him the European Golden Boot for the 1997-1998 season. He joined Eredivisie giants Ajax Amsterdam in June 1999, after having scored an impressive 60 goals in 92 matches for Vitesse.

When he was scoring a goal, you culd hear in the stadium greek music, Sirtaki!!! :) They were honoring him! He helped Vitesse a lot!!!

Ajax is one ofthe greates football teams in the Netherlands and one of the greatest teams in europe! It is actually a very historic and well known team!

It is in Amsterdam!

The team won european championships etc....

Many great players wear Ajax uniform!!!

Ajax as an embleem has one of the great heroes of Trojan war, AIAS! (Aeantas)

The team has a brother team in greece too!! It is Aiantas Salaminas! The embleem is almost the same but not in Red & white, but in blue & white!

In 1973, they played together a friendly match! Ajax won 2-0 of course! He played with all his stars and they were world Champions at that time!

the greek ajax, is playing now in the 3rd national leage, but it is still one fo the most historic teams!!!

An other team who is playing in the Superleage of Greece, Giannena, is often be called Ajax of Heipiros!!! :)

Well.... I hope I can write some funny things about the Dutch too, without get missunderstood.. I have many friends in the Netherlands and I love them! :)

Dutch tap water is safe to drink. This is remarkable if you realise most of it comes from polluted rivers like the Rhine. Plans to improve the waterquality in the Rhine so that fish like the salmon can return there to mate, invokes a lot of protests from the Dutch. The idea of fish having sex in their drinking water upsets them. :)

Of course thiese are only jokes, ok?? :)

Dutch painting.Dutch painters get famous after they die. This is a very sensible rule from the buyers point of view. Not only will the artist have to make a lot of paintings to earn a living, it also produces some very nice investments. The painters however do not share this opinion and in at least one case this lead to selfmutalation of an ear.

The Netherland Dwarf Rabbit was developed in the early 1900s in Holland from the white Polish Rabbit and wild rabbits to produce a small rabbit in a variety of colours. The Netherland Dwarf Rabbit was first given a show standard in Holland in 1940. Netherland Dwarf Rabbits were introduced in the UK in the late 1940s and into the US in the late 1960s. Today the Netherland Dwarf Rabbit is one of the most popular breeds of rabbit kept as a pet.

9bfb1a07-cf76-4775-9bde-c98e473a6b9e.jpg

Holland is a kingdom.It just doesn't have a king but a queen and her husband is not king but a prince. The queen does not rule -much- but she's very capable in cutting ribbons and visiting other countries. She is also very decorative at state banquettes. Her son, the crown prince, will take over if she stops queening. His wife in turn will be queen so that Holland will finally have a king and queen again.April 30 is queensday but it is not the birthday of the queen but princes Juliana's, who used to be queen. With things like this it's only logical that more and more people want Holland to be a republic. Queensday, by the way, is just an excuse to drink lots of beer and sell all their old junk on the streets.

I am impessed. So far I have yawned, laughed, shed a tear (not really, but it is nicely dramatic to write). I've read new, interesting, boring abnd funny facts. And bare nonsense. But: it's fun!

I just wonder about one thing. Does Gatoulis never sleeps? He might become more expert in the dutch then the dutch themselves :)

I'll be watching the topic closely

Greetings,

Rian (Van Stoffelen Sr)

CET 10:24 AM

I am impessed. So far I have yawned, laughed, shed a tear (not really, but it is nicely dramatic to write). I've read new, interesting, boring abnd funny facts. And bare nonsense. But: it's fun!

I just wonder about one thing. Does Gatoulis never sleeps? He might become more expert in the dutch then the dutch themselves :)

Greetings,

Rian (Van Stoffelen Sr)

lol its a fun cointest.

gatoulis is very eager to win geocoins......just like i am, there was a time that i would try to outdo him and be up all night also. but these days im subject to being ordered about by a one month year old. so im too tired to stay up all night or to do intense searching for info to play the cointests. thats why you see me grabbing at straws by posting complete silly stuff. lmao.

thanks for the cointest its fun.

look out for maybe one other bit of silly iinfo from me.

Because of the long association of Dutch people, especially rural workers, and clogs, Dutch people are sometimes nicknamed cloggies or clog-wearers. The traditional all-wooden Dutch klompen (clogs) have been officially accredited as safety shoes with the CE mark and can withstand almost any penetration including sharp objects and/or concentrated acids. The long association of Dutch with wooden clogs can be traced to the traditional creation myths of ancient Germanic Tribes who originally occupied modern Holland. Today, Dutch clogs are primarily a beloved tourist souvenir. Despite the fact that most Dutch no longer wear klompen for everyday use, clogs remain popular by people working in their gardens, farms and by planters. The Dutch also consider wearing clogs as being healthy for the wearers' feet.

i love the traditional wooden clogs, when i was a little girl my auntie bought me some wearable clogs when she visited the netherlands, and i wore them and wore them almsot all the time. when i sadly outgrew them i still tried to keep wearing them which resulted in my heel hanging out the back and causing me to trip down the stairs giving myself a big egg sized bump on the head and breaking one of the wooden clogs in half.

Edited by paganfrog

Greetings,

Rian (Van Stoffelen Sr)

:) Hello my friends! :)

Yes, of course I sleep! :) Since I am not working this year... (:) ), I have free time! I do other things too, but I have free time at night! When I was working last season, I was staying only until 24:00! Now...

I like playing in cointest for the fun!!

I am learning a lot about places or about other people, friends etc!!! :D

I knew some things about the Netherlands, and I found some other things too! :D

I can understand that some are probably borring useless information, but I believe some are quite cool! :)

thank you for this cointest my friend! :D

I mostly have info about coins and banknotes, but... :D

ok.... an other useless and boring info....

The Netherlands mint is still making gold Ducat coins!

The ducats were a great coin made from almost pure gold, from the times of the Provencies! Later, when the Netherlands were one country, they continued minting it for use in their colonies, as a trade coin!!

YES! The Netherlands had colonies! Some still exist even now! Curacao, Aruba, Netherland Antilles, Netherland India, Netherland Indies (indonesia), Netherlands New Guinea.....

As I said, the coin was in high purity of gold (98,6% pure gold!!!) and at the same size and weight with the Austrian gold ducat and the Venician gold ducat, (about 3.5 gr, and 21 -22 mm size)! I hope you understand the reason... why it was made! By that coin netherlands ducat started being a good coin for commerse, where the Dutch were so good! the coin was well known in the world!! Even in pirate shipwreaks, you can find Dutch ducats!!!

Now, the mint is making them for collectors and for investment!!

It is the oldest continuously issued coin in the world!!!!

In the history of the coin, there were only some small changes in the design of the knight on the coin!

They are still like the first ducat, even in the inscriptions! They are in Latin!!

Obverse:

Within ornamental square tablet the Latin legend...

MO:ORD PROVIN FOEDER BELG.AD LEG.IMP expands to MOneta ORDinum PROVINciarum FOEDERatorum BELGicarum AD LEGem IMPerii which translates as "Coin of government of the provincial federation of Belgium Conforming with the law of the Imperial"

Reverse :

A Knight facing right standing in armor with a sword in right hand and a bundle of arrows in the left divide the year of issue...

Along periphery the Latin legend CONCORDIA.RES PAR.CRES.HOL expands to CONCORDIA RES PARvae CREScunt HOLlandiae which translates as "Through concord little things grow - Holland" (Union is strength). (you can find that same but witht he name of the other provencies too!)

I think some old ones were made in Ceylon too but with the name of Holland, but I am not so sure about it!

In 1986, the ducat was a commemorative issue for the 400 years of the first gold ducat, in 1586!

From this year, they changed a little the design of the knight from the other modern issues!!!!

There are also double ducat coins!!! :)

here you can see an old ducat, a 1985 type and a 1986 type, so you can see the small differencies! :)

dutsh1.jpg

dutsh2.gif

dutch3.jpg

dutch4.jpg

Passport to Pimlico is a 1949 British comedy film made by Ealing Studios. Margaret Rutherford, Stanley Holloway and Hermione Baddeley star under the direction of Henry Cornelius.

The script was written by T.E.B. Clarke and demonstrated his usual logical development of absurd ideas. Some scenes in which the residents are refused passage out of their district into London by the authorities, and rely on supplies thrown over the dividing wall by well-wishers, were very topical because the film was made during the Berlin Blockade.

The film was inspired by a true incident during World War Two, when the royal family of the Netherlands (including the pregnant Princess Juliana) fled to Canada. Under Dutch law, a royal heir had to be born in the Netherlands in order to be eligible for succession to the throne. To accommodate this, the Canadian government passed a special law making her room in a Canadian maternity ward officially part of the Netherlands.

Peace and Happy Caching

and thanks for the cointest

:)

Edited by Nosfera

ok.... an other useless and boring info....

Gatoulis, this is everything, but not boring. As you might know i am very fond of geocoins with a historical thema as you can see at my Dutch Geocoin 2008, Groningen Stad en Ommeland Geocoin and the - still available - Willem van Oranje Geocoin.

And if that is not enough, a new dutch historical geocoin will be made: The Dutch Rider Geocoin. Sneak forum preview:

dutchrider.jpg