Cruising to Alaska, looking for locals

Rockin Roddy

We will be cruising with a group to Alaska on July 4th, our ports will be Juneau on the 6th, Skagway on the 7th and Ketchican on the 9th. I am hoping we can hook up with local cachers who would be willing to host events at these ports so we can attend and meet locals...and maybe even hook up for a few cache hunts? Anyone interested in helping out?

Of course, the events should all be simple M&G type events with no expenses, just a gathering for conversation and friendship. As well, anyone willing to place a few new caches at any of the ports, this would be GREAT!

Please post here or contact me directly through my profile, hoping we can get something set up!!

We hooked up with a local in Juneau last time we cruised to Alaska. It was great to get out of the town and really see Alaska. I think there is an Alaskan caching group web site that I posted in.

There is enough time at the ports to cache and there are caches within easy walking distance of where you'll dock.

What Canadian port will you be in?

I did a similar cruise in late August. We stopped at the same three Alaska cities, but departed from Vancouver. At all three stops there are several caches within walking distance of the dock. The day we were in Skagway there were four cruise ships in port. As I recall, the year round population of Skagway is about 800. That would not have filled one of the cruise ships in port that day.

I have no idea how many cachers were visiting each city we stopped in that day, but I did run into a couple in Juneau. In checking the logs, I find that those folks were in each port the day I was there. I did see logs from one other cacher that was cruising at the same time.

Do be prepared for rain on the trip. Ketchikan gets 13 feet of rain a year. That means very few days without any rain. I only found one cache in Ketchikan because I didn't want to spend any more time in the rain.

Have a great time, this is a great cruise.

I did a similar cruise in late August. We stopped at the same three Alaska cities, but departed from Vancouver. At all three stops there are several caches within walking distance of the dock. The day we were in Skagway there were four cruise ships in port. As I recall, the year round population of Skagway is about 800. That would not have filled one of the cruise ships in port that day.

I have no idea how many cachers were visiting each city we stopped in that day, but I did run into a couple in Juneau. In checking the logs, I find that those folks were in each port the day I was there. I did see logs from one other cacher that was cruising at the same time.

Do be prepared for rain on the trip. Ketchikan gets 13 feet of rain a year. That means very few days without any rain. I only found one cache in Ketchikan because I didn't want to spend any more time in the rain.

Have a great time, this is a great cruise.

Yep, really looking forward to it! I posted in the AlaskaCachers forums, it doesn't look like a lot of traffic in there though, hoping someone answers!!

Having done a LOT of research already, I see a few caches I can do...and will be checking your profile for more ideas!! ;)

Several years ago when we did an Alaskan cruise, one of our favorite caches (now archived) was near this one. The tram ride was great, or you can hike it if you want to take the time.

Yep, I have that on the list! The tram ride itself will be great and it'll take us to at least 3 caches...one of which is an earthcache! The shore excursion for the tram from the ship is something like $85, tram tix are around $25...I'd rather do the tram on my own and get time to find the caches!! :)

If my reading is correct, you can also take the train to/from the tram?? I'm not certain on this.

Several years ago when we did an Alaskan cruise, one of our favorite caches (now archived) was near this one. The tram ride was great, or you can hike it if you want to take the time.

Yep, I have that on the list! The tram ride itself will be great and it'll take us to at least 3 caches...one of which is an earthcache! The shore excursion for the tram from the ship is something like $85, tram tix are around $25...I'd rather do the tram on my own and get time to find the caches!! :)

If my reading is correct, you can also take the train to/from the tram?? I'm not certain on this.

The tram is a very short walk from the ship.

I didn't do any up the tram since I didn't know I was going up until too late to look up caches up there. There is a great view from up there.

OurShipFromTheTramJuneau.jpg

And you can see the ship in that picture.

Yep, really looking forward to it! I posted in the AlaskaCachers forums, it doesn't look like a lot of traffic in there though, hoping someone answers!!

Having done a LOT of research already, I see a few caches I can do...and will be checking your profile for more ideas!! :)

You've done good posting so far in advance of your trip in the GeocacheAlaska.org forums. The most activity in that forum group is in the Southcentral region of the state (Anchorage, Wasilla/Palmer, the Kenai Peninsula) because that's where the majority of the state's population lives. Southeast AK is off the road for the rest of us Alaskans (it's a 600 mile airplane flight from Anchorage to Juneau, for example, costing more than $500 on average to visit round trip) and most of us haven't had the pleasure of caching that region of our own state. This weekend the GeocacheAlaska! forum site is actually quite active, as the entire state's geocaching community (as registered on the geocachealaska.org website) has been polled to vote on the icon choices for the 2009 Alaska Geocoin (to be released at the end of Nov 09). :D I'd suggest you contact several of the cache owners in your ports of call for info directly via email on the gc.com site; folks in Southeast Alaska are notoriously friendly and I'm sure they'd love to show off their towns to visitors, work/school schedules permitting (as cachers in Southcentral Alaska love to do, too - after all, a visitor from Outside is a great excuse to go caching!). As a cruiser into other ports of call, I will say that once again geocaching will take you to the locals' favorite spots in town, off the tourist grid, and to the best photo spots around! Southeast Alaska is beautiful beyond belief... I've spent time there in my pre-caching days, and look forward to a return (via cruise ship southbound out of Whittier, I hope) once again.

Having done a LOT of research already, I see a few caches I can do...and will be checking your profile for more ideas!! :huh:

You've done good posting so far in advance of your trip in the GeocacheAlaska.org forums. The most activity in that forum group is in the Southcentral region of the state (Anchorage, Wasilla/Palmer, the Kenai Peninsula) because that's where the majority of the state's population lives. Southeast AK is off the road for the rest of us Alaskans (it's a 600 mile airplane flight from Anchorage to Juneau, for example, costing more than $500 on average to visit round trip) and most of us haven't had the pleasure of caching that region of our own state. This weekend the GeocacheAlaska! forum site is actually quite active, as the entire state's geocaching community (as registered on the geocachealaska.org website) has been polled to vote on the icon choices for the 2009 Alaska Geocoin (to be released at the end of Nov 09). :blink: I'd suggest you contact several of the cache owners in your ports of call for info directly via email on the gc.com site; folks in Southeast Alaska are notoriously friendly and I'm sure they'd love to show off their towns to visitors, work/school schedules permitting (as cachers in Southcentral Alaska love to do, too - after all, a visitor from Outside is a great excuse to go caching!). As a cruiser into other ports of call, I will say that once again geocaching will take you to the locals' favorite spots in town, off the tourist grid, and to the best photo spots around! Southeast Alaska is beautiful beyond belief... I've spent time there in my pre-caching days, and look forward to a return (via cruise ship southbound out of Whittier, I hope) once again.

Hi NorthWes

Yep, I have a little time to get info, the cruise is a bit off lol. Sounds like a great community too, can't wait to get into the ports and meet ocals and get a taste of the local caching flavor!

Did you receive my e-mail reply to your e-mail? If not, I'll post the information here.

I did and THANKS!! I have sent an email to a few locals and am hoping for answers...it's simply a waiting game at this time lol Sooo many caches sooo close to the peirs, I have been very busy researching on my own while waiting for any possible responses!! :laughing:

Have a very nice contact person in Juneau, but finding one in Skagway or Ketchikan is proving a bit harder? Anyone from those areas?? I see some cache owners, but none seem active and the one I did contact was from out of state? hmmmmm....

So far though, things are coming together smoothly!! I can't wait to get out there!!

WELL, Roddy, I HOPE you get to spend at least Some of the 3rd over at Carnation :) !

I don't know, I am certain I'll be manning a booth at GW VIII, then hosting a WELCOME PARTY for our guests later that evening. But, I will do my best, my friend!! If you get the chance, come visit me at my Geocaching Journeys booth!! :shocked:

Hi Rockin Roddy... Silverranger and I (90%Angel) are booking our cruise tomorrow.... is this Welcome Party that you are hosting at GW VIII? or will it be in Seattle? Looking forward to meeting you and an adventure of a lifetime ~

We were pleased to find another cacher on our ship last September. She participated in the same treasure hunt game on the ship. So we became partners for the game. She was with her family who don't usually cache. We found caches at each of the ports o' call, including Victoria, BC. While at a cache in Victoria, we met cachers from the other ship that was in port.