Garmin nuvi for caching

jimnsusie

:rolleyes: I am thinking about getting a nuvi to keep in the rig to use for driving around and caching in the vehicle. Was wondering if all the units can download cache info or only some of them. I recently saw a friends unit which is an old one that he uses in his rig to get him around the hwys from cache to cache. He is able to download all the cache info into the unit and this gets him close to ground zero. Then he gets out with his 60csx for the ground search. Does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks :D

A friend and I both used nuvi products for a while. I used a nuvi 200 I had and ended up upgrading to a DeLorme PN-20, but my friend still uses his nuvi and has a little over 1000 caches within eight months or so.

I now use my nuvi for the same reason your friend does. It works great.

You can still do quite a bit with a nuvi, but I really would recommend spending a bit extra for a higher-end GPSr.

:rolleyes: I am thinking about getting a nuvi to keep in the rig to use for driving around and caching in the vehicle. Was wondering if all the units can download cache info or only some of them. I recently saw a friends unit which is an old one that he uses in his rig to get him around the hwys from cache to cache. He is able to download all the cache info into the unit and this gets him close to ground zero. Then he gets out with his 60csx for the ground search. Does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks :D

Everything you need to know about geocaching with a nuvi - http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Hi there,

I do exactly that with a Nuvi 200W. It gets the car to within walking distance of the cache and then I switch to an eTrex H. Both are the cheapest in the range, but I find more than enough for my needs. I download a PQ, use the same file to download waypoints on both the Nuvi and the Etrex and to an old Palm Zire 21 PDA for the cache details. Sounds complicated, but all caches transferred in less than a minute or so.

regards

I started with a Nuvi 200W...it was what I already had for a GPS when I started geocaching and it worked well...got a few hundred finds with it.

After dropping it a few times, once I just missed a puddle, I decided I needed to upgrade to a handheld for a more rugged unit that was waterproof...ended up getting a Colorado 400t and have been very happy.

They both get the job done.

I bought a Nuvi 205 to use on my job as a Driver/Transporter and stumbled upon GeoCaching while looking for tips on how to use my GPS. While I still consider myself a newbie at Geocaching I found the following website to be helpful with many tips and tricks on how to get the most out of the Nuvi GPS for Geocaching.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.g....html#page1text

I have recently upgraded to a Garmin GPSMAP 60 Csx and am very happy with it...my main reason for wanting this upgrade was for the waterproof ability the 60 Csx has as I was always getting caught out in the rain.

We use Garmin Nuvi 500..it has build in geocaching mode with paperless geocaching. If premium member there is, cache descriptions, recent five logs and hint and also possibility to use fieldnotes. It has also Wherigo but I haven't use it yet. We have also garmin 60 cx, but nowadays it seems that only device we take with us is Nuvi 500. Nuvi 500 is supposed to be waterresistant and it has a bit more solid case than other nuvis.

We use Garmin Nuvi 500..it has build in geocaching mode with paperless geocaching. If premium member there is, cache descriptions, recent five logs and hint and also possibility to use fieldnotes. It has also Wherigo but I haven't use it yet. We have also garmin 60 cx, but nowadays it seems that only device we take with us is Nuvi 500. Nuvi 500 is supposed to be waterresistant and it has a bit more solid case than other nuvis.

Plus, last time I checked, only the Nuvi 500/550's & 800/855's have user-replaceable batteries. For the other Nuvi models, once the batteries stop holding a charge, only Garmin service centers are authorized to replace them without voiding a warranty.