Dakota 20 - Does anyone own one?

Yorkie30

I have got one and I love it. I have also got the UK 1:50K OS maps to run on it. I have a slight issue with the GPS in that it sometimes powers off, but this is apparently due to the maps and also happens with the maps on the Colorado and Oregon. It happens about once per day of caching, so is only a minor irritant. The pleasure of true paperless caching and being able to log using Field Notes make it all worthwhile.

It is worth keeping an eye on the Dakota Wiki, which is gradually getting more information. There is a link to the Oregon and Colorado wkis too, so if you wish to compare the three, this is a reasonable place to start.

I have got one and I love it. I have also got the UK 1:50K OS maps to run on it. I have a slight issue with the GPS in that it sometimes powers off, but this is apparently due to the maps and also happens with the maps on the Colorado and Oregon. It happens about once per day of caching, so is only a minor irritant. The pleasure of true paperless caching and being able to log using Field Notes make it all worthwhile.

It is worth keeping an eye on the Dakota Wiki, which is gradually getting more information. There is a link to the Oregon and Colorado wkis too, so if you wish to compare the three, this is a reasonable place to start.

Thankyou. :)

I am thinking to maybe up grade at christmas from my etrex vista which I like alot.

Edited by Yorkie30

would be interested to se a screen shot of the Dakota with the 1:50ooo OS maps loaded and does/how it shows the caches on the OS map.

These are from my Oregon 200, the Dakota will look similar, but the screen/display is smaller:

300ft zoom

300ft.gif

500ft zoom

500ft.gif

800ft zoom

800ft.gif

0.2mile zoom

0.2mi.gif

0.3 mile zoom

0.3mi.gif

Zooming in below 300ft just ends up being more jaggy and effectively useless, for urban caching I tend to switch to my GB/Ireland OSM mapset.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

would be interested to se a screen shot of the Dakota with the 1:50ooo OS maps loaded and does/how it shows the caches on the OS map.

These are from my Oregon 200, the Dakota will look similar, but the screen/display is smaller:

0.3 mile zoom

0.3mi.gif

Zooming in below 300ft just ends up being more jaggy and effectively useless, for urban caching I tend to switch to my GB/Ireland OSM mapset.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Do you know if it's possible to turn off all those pigging annoying buttons (zoom in, zoom out, return etc...)? I mean, if you know that zoom in and out are there and that return is bottom left, why stamp 'em all over the map and clutter up an already small screen?

Cheers,

Jon.

PS... While I'm at it, can you change/reduce/remove that pigging annoying big red push pin as well?

Edited by Dakar4x4

Do you know if it's possible to turn off all those pigging annoying buttons (zoom in, zoom out, return etc...)? I mean, if you know that zoom in and out are there and that return is bottom left, why stamp 'em all over the map and clutter up an already small screen?

Yes, sell your OR, get a CO. Simples! ;-)

Yes, sell your OR, get a CO. Simples! ;-)

Hah... Thanks Aleksandr,

I've already got a CO! I'm thinking of upgrading to a 550 (for the camera), but hate all that crap on the display!

Sergei.

Edited to add link for "Simples"

Edited by Dakar4x4