FTF Score

bflentje

Newbies, we got on the FTF kick in friendly competition with a guy named the local "ftf master."

We still get a few once in a while. CJ has notification on her blackberry (I don't), but we're just too occupied with other things to grab 'em like we used to.

We've counted since starting. We don't include "shared" ftfs (searching with another cacher, who might have spotted it first), only caches WE have found first.

We're currently have 286 FTFs on 1794 , making it 16%.

If you insist that FTFs are something to be proud of, limit yours to caches that have gone a week or more without being found.

Otherwise, all you've done is be first to the lamp-post or the bush, and I really don't see why that is such a great achievement.

Firstly: Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. What if it's a lamp post hide that has gone more than a week without being found? What then, Fizzy? Would another cacher's pride over that FTF be acceptable to you?

Secondly: "Great achievement" isn't the point. The point is to have fun.

I don't cache to impress others. And neither am I bothered, as you seem to be, by other cachers whose preferences happen to be different. I cache to have fun. And sometimes it's kinda neat to be the first one to find a particular cache, no matter what kind of hide it is.

Some folks get a charge out of being the FTF, even if it’s a simple drive-up hide. Nobody says you have to like it yourself, but don’t go telling me which caching experiences I may or may not enjoy.

Some folks get a charge out of being the FTF, even if it’s a simple drive-up hide. Nobody says you have to like it yourself, but don’t go telling me which caching experiences I may or may not enjoy.

I didn't, and I don't.

You (and other cachers) can enjoy whatever you want; I have no problem with that.

But when people feel compelled to brag about their great achievements, as is the purpose of this thread, I find it entirely appropriate to express what I think of those achievements.

Once again, in small words: enjoying something in private: no comments. Bragging about something in public: comments.

Get it?

Opinions VERY, and I disagree !!!

opinions maybe, but you still haven't accepted my challenge.

monday 0000 hours to sunday 2359.

you can put any spin on it if it makes you feel better, but now we all know you're just scared you won't get any of those caches first.

come on, mighty firstfinder. can't you take the competition?

I didn't, and I don't.

You (and other cachers) can enjoy whatever you want; I have no problem with that.

But when people feel compelled to brag about their great achievements, as is the purpose of this thread, I find it entirely appropriate to express what I think of those achievements.

Once again, in small words: enjoying something in private: no comments. Bragging about something in public: comments.

Get it?

Thank you for once again helping me to see the light by repeating your implication that I am an idiot; being personally insulted by you always compels me to embrace your point of view.

Fizzymagic, you are truly an inspired and charismatic persuader.

As for your claim about the purpose of this thread, allow me to correct your misconception with a direct quote from the original post:

This is all in good fun now.. don't get cranky.

I, for one, don’t appreciate you dumping on the people here who are merely having some good clean fun, and based on that particular string of small words that even an idiot like me can comprehend, I doubt bflentje cares for your lecture either.

Please note the keyword 'fun' in bflentje’s words. Fun is the purpose of this thread.

If someone wants to brag that he beat you and me and everyone else to a cache and became first finder, why should it bother you that the cache happened to be easy? Why should that matter? I happen to think it’s all pretty cool. So do most other folks, apparently.

So why does it leave you so troubled, Fizzy?

I'm new....just learning about all of this. I have 0 FTFs. Actually I have 0 finds....so right now I guess I'm 100%. I did learn one thing from this thread though. FTF measn "first to find". NOW, if I can figure out what all those other shortcuts mean I'll be in business....and What is a smiley that everyone collects? :)

soarfoot

If you insist that FTFs are something to be proud of, limit yours to caches that have gone a week or more without being found.

Otherwise, all you've done is be first to the lamp-post or the bush, and I really don't see why that is such a great achievement.

CJ has FUN (what this was supposed to be about) FTFinding the hard-to-find micros -anywhere.

Doesn't matter if they're in a lpc or a small park, she wants to see if she can find 'em and happens to be FTF - a lot.

We have FUN together FTFinding on the longer hikes with varied terrains.

Most of my FTFs are "4s" and "5s" in terrain and at 54, yes - it's something I'm proud of.

i'm still waiting to hear from scubasonic. i'm packed. where do i meet you? ohio? indiana?

you're not afraid to show up when the gauntlet is thrown down, are you?

afraid you can't get those firstfinds? can't take the competition?

you can candy coat it all you want and put whatever spin on it you want if it makes you feel better, but it smells like chicken in here.

flask, permit me to suggest the cincinnati/dayton corridor for your firstfinder throwdown challenge.

there is a consistent stream of new cache hides year-round, ranging from evil puzzles to nice hikes in the state and county parks to power trails through shopping districts. Not a day goes by without some new caches being published in this area.

as the cache reviewer for southwest ohio, i do my best to keep things interesting for the ftf crowd. i am blessed to have a paying job where i'm allowed (within reason) to do my volunteer job whenever there is a break between meetings, or instead of eating lunch. i am an insomniac who takes special delight in imagining the cellphones ringing "insta-notify" at three in the morning.

also, coordinates are available prior to publication if you are a platinum member. send email for my paypal details.

Edited by Keystone

also, coordinates are available prior to publication if you are a platinum member. send email for my paypal details.

thank you, but according to the terms, there's no insta-notify, no inside information, and no outside help.

i can't beat anyone into the ground convincingly and definitively unless i adhere to my own terms.

mmmm, chicken.

Flask.

I did some math and it looks like Grand Island Nebraska would be the best central point. Indiana and Ohio are a little advantagous for you. Quite a bit so, actually.

To be fair, you should pick Grand Island as the center point, or Omaha would probably do, even though it still gives you an advantage.

Mind you, these are highway calculations and not as the crow flies.

Okay, back to the original silly and FUN question....Trekkin', not I, had a FTF love for some time. He still enjoys them, but has always contended that FTF or not, it's another cache find. He likes finding it as the owner intended. If something else is happening in our world....shock!...they'll sit. We'll get them eventually and have just as much fun doing so.

We have not posted that stuff in public. Didn't even count them until one of KBs century challenges came up near my parents' home. So we started trying to count them. If I'm correct, we have.....this is kind of embarrassing to me, actually....429 true FTFs as defined by Bart. We have 5698 finds total, but I do like what someone else said....all are FTFs, since we'd never found any of them before. We don't feel so bad, however, as another Wisconsin cacher has about twice that number of FTFs.

So....where is this Celebrity FTF Smackdown going to take place? LOL

No, we do not and never have had phone notification. Trekkin' tried to figure that out just the other day and it didn't work.

Edited by Trekkin' and birdin'

Flask.

I did some math and it looks like Grand Island Nebraska would be the best central point. Indiana and Ohio are a little advantagous for you. Quite a bit so, actually.

To be fair, you should pick Grand Island as the center point, or Omaha would probably do, even though it still gives you an advantage.

no matter. i don't see scubasonic picking up the gauntlet.

just as well; i'd have had to leave now and i just got back from a nighttime firstfind hunt.

church will come roaring up early tomorrow.

still smells like chicken in here.

Flask.

no matter. i don't see scubasonic picking up the gauntlet.

just as well; i'd have had to leave now and i just got back from a nighttime firstfind hunt.

church will come roaring up early tomorrow.

still smells like chicken in here.

Flask,

WOW well ok I didn't read all of your posts but I did get the meat of it, I just don't spend that much time on this forum.............unlike you with 4,540 posts (you got me beat there), I would rather be out caching or doing something else with my time then living on this forum. As far as your challenge goes, I don't have anything to prove to you or anyone else for that matter. I think my GSAK stats page speaks for itself, unlike you that doesn't have one. I see nothing on your profile page of relevance, who knows if you even have any FTFs but I did get the most important stat you posted and that was you own a Yellow Hat :(

What I could get from your caching history was that you have been caching for some time...and your first Geocaching find was in January 2003 and you have a total of 3,180 finds to date, that is a average of 33 finds a month WOW. I have been caching since June 2008 and have 3,868 finds that is an average of 242 finds per month, without getting into the rest of my stats, I don't think it would take a rock scientist to figure out, you are way outta your league.

Chicken hardly, I just have more important things to do. Especially responding to you, It's not worth my time.

ScubaSonic

Chicken hardly, I just have more important things to do. Especially responding to you, It's not worth my time.

yeah, i saw your stats; i was unimpressed.

you can candy coat it any way you like.

you can put any kind of spin on it you want if it will make you fell better.

you and now everybody knows that you can't take the competition; you're afraid i will crush you into the ground like so much gum on the bottom of my shoe.

everyone knows you're afraid to meet me on level ground. unless you're in direct competition with me in the same area at the same time, your (and you will note that i know the difference between "your" and "you're), stats mean nothing to me.

quite frankly, i don't think you could stand up to me head to head for a week if all things were equal, and it's smart of you to weasel out of my challenge because after the way you went after me, it'd be a harsh thing for you to have to admit that at the end of the day i'm still faster than you, i'm smarter than you, and i'm tougher than you.

you can sit over there on your phony laurels, but we all know that one cacher's statistics don't mean squat against another's in terms of who's really better.

you insisted i couldn't take the competition. i expected to drive halfway across the country to smack you down for that and now you're hiding behind your worthless stats.

don't make claims you can't back up, princess.

you can't take the competition.

you can't take it.

smells like chicken.

Geez, maybe a few of you ought to re-read the title of this thread which is: "FTF Score, For those cachers who DO care about FTF's but don't complain." Please give it a rest so those who are interested in this thread can post without getting buried by the crap you're posting.

Another words, this thread began slipping downhill with post 39.

Poking someone will get you poked back. There's some latitude for that. It is preferable to a moderator warning every time we see a post like post 39.

I think flask has proven her point, so let's get back to the thread. I also *know* she would have driven to Indiana, or Nebraska, or wherever. That would've been fun to watch.

I also *know* she would have driven to Indiana, or Nebraska, or wherever. That would've been fun to watch.

yeah. last night i went on a firstfind hunt.

we were all out in the woods moving quickly and silently, me mostly without lights because if the competition can see you, they can catch you. we went like commandos, with coded signals, both whistles and light flashes.

come here. stay put. split. run a fake direction change. i've got the cache but you pretend you have it over there.

the people i was with nearly fell over laughing at the allegation that i can't take competition because there are a lot of things i can't take, but competition isn't one of them. anyone who's ever met me or has read my logs or remembers the capture the flag game knows that.

back in the day i used to be first at every cache in this state and the adjoining parts of new hampshire, new york, and quebec. i was so often there first that other people just gave up trying and that wasn't fun for me anymore.

half the hunt for me was knowing when a cache had been published, and knowing about it before everyone else. it took a lot of skill and persistence to see those listings right away, or to poach them based on nothing more than a hunch. and then insta-notify came out and everyone with a cellphone knew right away and that took a lot of the sport out of it for me. insta-notify, at least in my area, made it more about who has a shorter drive than about any real knowledge or effort. people with jobs automatically got ruled out, as did people who lived more than an hour away from a cache.

around here you know who's going to get the firstfind just by where it comes out. the four most likely candidates will leave the house the second they get the notification, and since that's a constant, the only variable is drive time.

unless it's a big challenge or a hard puzzle or a long multi, it all boils down to drive time.

these days i have to take medication that makes it difficult for me to leave the house at night or too early in the morning, so that partly cuts down on the number of firstfinds i'm able to seek and puts me into-semi-retirement.

and yet, had scubasonic accepted my challenge, i had prepared to take the medical consequences of going off my medications for the week. i was packed and ready to go to indiana or nebraska or wherever because far from not being able to take competition, i am insanely competitive and i will either go the distance or i will die on the way.

and those aren't just pretty words.

if you're going to talk the talk, you'd better be prepared to walk the walk.

and for the record, of the three firstfinds available last night, my team went two for three, with me personally scoring one of those two. for the other one i was running interference, making myself a loud and distracting nuisance to the other team. bleeding a little, but that's no big deal.

and it only took us ten hours.

So last night was halloween. Me and my girlfriend had been planning on attending a show for two months and we planned on leaving at 8:30 to head up there. At 8:20 my phone goes off, a new cache on the way to the show. Okay, jump in the car to go find it. Shoot, forgot flashlight, oh well. We spend 20 minutes looking. Another family shows up to help. My phone goes off, four more caches in the area. We decided to let that one be and head to the other. Grabbed a guard rail micro and a rock wall micro for FTF's on both of those. Went to the 4th one and looked for another 20 minutes. A different family showed up, but it wasn't looking good. Decided that since we were almost an hour late at this point that we should head out. Rally to Seattle and have luck on our side as the band was an hour late due to snow in the midwest over the past week and we made it just in time. Talk to the head of security, long time pal of mine and get let in without having to stand outside.

Nice evening. I did go back to two of them that had no finds on them later that evening. One had a find, but the person was newer and hadn't logged it yet, mildly annoying, but no biggie. Second one, the one we left earlier in the evening. Spend 45 minutes there, alone, with two dogs running up and down the road nearby and never found it. I woke up this morning and saw someone grabbed it, gonna have to go check that one out.

But yeah, just an interesting day/evening that got me home around 4:30am(well, 330am) and I had been up since 430 that morning, ugh, slept like a rock.

Just fun sometimes :(

and yet, had scubasonic accepted my challenge, i had prepared to take the medical consequences of going off my medications for the week. i was packed and ready to go to indiana or nebraska or wherever because far from not being able to take competition, i am insanely competitive and i will either go the distance or i will die on the way.

Off your medication, great a geriatric cacher........You are a legend in your own mind. Your stories sound like a bad B movie what a joke you are. to afraid to get a Stats Gen program as then everyone would know how lame you really are. your really tearing up at 33 caches a month...At least all my stats are there to see, and I'm not bragging in every post like you.

ScubaSonic

Edited by Scubasonic

Off your medication, great a geriatric cacher........You are a legend in your own mind. Your stories sound like a bad B movie what a joke you are. to afraid to get a Stats Gen program as then everyone would know how lame you really are. your really tearing up at 33 caches a month...At least all my stats are there to see, and I'm not bragging in every post like you.

ScubaSonic

either show up for your smackdown, princess, or give it up. you keep bragging on these stats that mean nothing to anyone but you.

meet me on a level playing field and i will thrash you but good.

one week. neutral territory. no instant notification, no outside help, no inside information.

you're afraid after all your posturing.

since you have refused to meet my challenge and you hide behind insults and numbers, all you have proved is that it's you who can't take the competition.

still smells like chicken in here, but also chicken coop.

ScubaSonic

either show up for your smackdown, princess, or give it up. you keep bragging on these stats that mean nothing to anyone but you.

one week. neutral territory. no instant notification, no outside help, no inside information.

since you have refused to meet my challenge and you hide behind insults and numbers, all you have proved is that it's you who can't take the competition.

Hey Porky I think you need to up your medication, better watch that blood pressure to.

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

ScubaSonic

Hey Porky I think you need to up your medication, better watch that blood pressure to.

SS

interesting response.

you don't know how to use quotes, or you're too upset to use them. how's your blood pressure?

now you're namecalling because you're too scared to meet me and get smacked down.

you can't take the competition.

smells like chicken.

Got my 200th find today with a FTF, woohoo!

One more reason I'm all about the FTF hunt. Is I get to meet other geocachers. I've never run into another cacher out there on anything but a first to find attempt and I've met several now and even run into a few of them several times. Been a fun way to talk geocaching stuff since I dont get to otherwise :rolleyes:

Wow, name calling? Really? Here?

Take it to private or drop it completely. Either way, it's not happening here.

Bret

I don't understand how that kind of behavior makes it this far.. Thanks for dropping by.

Take your (flask and company) throwdown challenge somewhere else. Either post your FTF score here or move on. As for calling attention to some stat you (the collective you) don't agree with, too darn bad.

so we have 8 FTF's out of 188 it's always fun trying to get your name on the log first but it not the big of a deal if you dont but with 8 out of 188 that is 23.5%

and oh yeah four of them where on the same day :D

Four FTF's on Sept. 09,2009: Let's Go For a Spin, Katie's Cache, The Monkey's Jungle, Hollywood Crazy

8/188 = 4.26%

so we have 8 FTF's out of 188 it's always fun trying to get your name on the log first but it not the big of a deal if you dont but with 8 out of 188 that is 23.5%

and oh yeah four of them where on the same day :D

Four FTF's on Sept. 09,2009: Let's Go For a Spin, Katie's Cache, The Monkey's Jungle, Hollywood Crazy

8/188 = 4.26%

Sorry did the math backwards

Wow, name calling? Really? Here?

Take it to private or drop it completely. Either way, it's not happening here.

Bret

I don't understand how that kind of behavior makes it this far.. Thanks for dropping by.

Take your (flask and company) throwdown challenge somewhere else. Either post your FTF score here or move on. As for calling attention to some stat you (the collective you) don't agree with, too darn bad.

Not helping any here but, i have to say that i was thinking the same thing. Believe i even saw another moderator or two come in and, to my surprise, didn't even try to slow it down or get the thread back on topic. :uns

Anyways, i just checked and see that i have 405 ftfs out of my 4325 finds, a little over 9% i believe.

Edited by Mudfrog

This is all in good fun now.. don't get cranky.

I have 117 FTF's in 3190 Total Finds. That's 3.67%. I think I CAN do better.

This stat is only useful if the player is only interested in the FTF race. If the player is also interested in finding previously hidden caches, his percentage of FTFs in relation to total finds will always be pushed downward.

A new player who is only interested in this competition could easily maintain a 100% score simply by not logging those caches that he did not get to first.

What is it about FTFs that causes a thread like this one to be so angsty?

It's fun to beat everyone else to a cache. It's a rush to not be foiled by bad coordinates or other errors and still make the find before anyone else. If my life would allow it, I certainly would be one of those people who rush out of the house at 2am to try to find a newly published cache. Unfortunately, other priorities stop me from doing this.

Still, I don't understand the animosity towards those who do have the drive (and freedom) to go after a FTF any time a new cache is published and the interest to go after that new cache whether others would find that cache interesting, or not.

To those that are into the FTF race, rock on. To those that aren't, good for you.

Edited by sbell111

What is it about FTFs that causes a thread like this one to be so angsty?

It's fun to beat everyone else to a cache. It's a rush to not be foiled by bad coordinates or other errors and still make the find before anyone else. If my life would allow it, I certainly would be one of those people who rush out of the house at 2am to try to find a newly published cache. Unfortunately, other priorities stop me from doing this.

Still, I don't understand the animosity towards those who do have the drive (and freedom) to go after a FTF any time a new cache is published and the interest to go after that new cache whether others would find that cache interesting, or not.

To those that are into the FTF race, rock on. To those that aren't, good for you.

Ditto. As long as you aren't otherwise being a knucklehead, go for it. It doesn't affect the other participants one way or another.

Yes i do like to go after the FTF but living out in the country it gets tough.Thats why i only have 54 ftf out 1237 finds for my first yr of caching with the avg miles being 50 miles to the caches.but i do have atleast one ftf for each mth for my first yr of caching.and i hope to keep my streak alive for the 2nd yr this is just a challenge for myself to add something to the game for me