FTF Score

bflentje

Ding ding ding, I hear a bell.

Never looked at my FTF stats because the number doesn't matter. I do like to get FTFs and will go after them, but the stats part of it, not all that interesting.

Yeah, your addition was not needed.

Anywho, I have 57 FTF's out of 445 finds, 6 are still unpublished. That is 12.80%. Needless to say, I am pleased. Please, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it here.

Anywho, I have 57 FTF's out of 445 finds, 6 are still unpublished. That is 12.80%. Needless to say, I am pleased. Please, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it here.

6 are still unpublished??

How did you find them?

Wouldn't that be testing it for the owner?

How did you find them?

This is an example of why FTF statistics do not mean a thing. There is no consistent agreements on what a FTF is and who gets it. It only took five posts to get to a disagreement over what counts. :blink::blink::angry:

I have, (I think) two FTFs in somewhere over 650 finds. Do I win? :blink::laughing:

Don't come to Oz cause not only getting a FTF is important but if you you can't get a FTF you can always claim First day find.

Some of us only go for FTF so it upsets the Virgin hunters from getting it. Boy do they sulk when they miss out.

I have several but would have to read back through my 1590 finds to see how many where FTF.

I enjoy the FTF race. Most of the cachers in my area are friends, and sometimes the FTF race here results in impromptu late night flash mobs. Yes, I do keep track, because for me it adds enjoyment to the game. That's all the reason that I need.

Last summer when I was out of work, I would go after every new cache in my city, regardless of where or what time. I took my motorcycle to save gas. I came to be known as "FTF Whore" by my friends... it was all in fun. Now there is another who is earning that title, more so than me. The cool thing is, we are all friends...and everyone plays the game the way that gives them the most enjoyment.

I have 133 FTFs out of 1314 finds. 10.12%. I think that's pretty high. I just got one yesterday. I'm driving 140 miles and rowing 1 mile tonight to try again for FTF on a 5/5 puzzle multi that I couldn't finish yesterday.

How did you find them?

Wrong topic. Use the "other" topic for debating whether it's testing or not. This is the SCORE topic. Thanks.

How did you find them?

Wrong topic. Use the "other" topic for debating whether it's testing or not. This is the SCORE topic. Thanks.

I have "SOME" FTF's and "SOME" Finds, so I am 100%. I think that is pretty darn good

How did you find them?

Not to be a jerk or anything but how can you even have a conversation about what your scores are when you can't even agree on what counts towards that score?

How did you find them?

Not to be a jerk or anything but how can you even have a conversation about what your scores are when you can't even agree on what counts towards that score?

Heck, there're more posters being jerks than just you.. come on now.. :blink:

This was a harmless topic that's turned into a social experiment... wow, I knew there were a lot of railroaders out there but I am often amazed at how quickly they come out of the woodwork. Any moderators around to keep this on topic? Oh the humanity.. :angry::blink::blink:

It is the first time that I sign a log, I don't know why I would sign it twice. :rolleyes:

At least all the FTF on my home page a actual FTF, not faked like some cachers do in this game, I'm just trying to joke around a bit seeing that geocaching is a GAME and some people take it way to seriously and personally.

From what I recall there are some stat programs that count your firsts if you use the three initials. I never use those three letters by themselves in a log - if anbody cares they can figure it out and ultimately it's simply a matter of time, circumstance, and geography. So when I came across a series of challenge caches, including one for a hundred firsts I had to go back and start to add them up. I stopped counting at 150, but it was the first time that I had a reason to keep score. Now I just got to get the cache.

Edited by Erickson

How did you find them?

This was a harmless topic that's turned into a social experiment... wow, I knew there were a lot of railroaders out there but I am often amazed at how quickly they come out of the woodwork. Any moderators around to keep this on topic? Oh the humanity.. :D:rolleyes::D

I thought it was a valid question. I agree that it is a harmless topic but with no agreement as to what counts as an FTF how do you get any meaning from comparing your "scores"?

Out of 300 finds.... I have 2 FTF and 1 CoFTF (actually I let my partner take the credit for it as she spotted it before I did).

IMHO... it's fun to be FTF and it is the "thrill" that you are the first one to find the cache so I'm not in any "race" to be there first. I'd rather let someone new to the game have the FTF because being the FTF builds up a person's ego. Nothing gets you more fired up about caching than making that FTF when you are a newbie.

"I beat out the old-timers!!! na na na na na" :rolleyes:

Edited by ngrrfan

21 FTF's, 195 Finds = 10.67%

Not into the usual debate here since it's worse than arguing religion or politics. I love racing out for them, I love being the first to find them. Much more of a hunt usually since you don't have a geotrail telling you where to go or the usual tell tale signs. Me and the girlfriend went out at midnight for one last night. What a fun time we had and a little scary too, but it's a good time for us to bond and get a little hiking in.

I have 4 FTFs among 31 finds = 13% FTF. AND I got all of them WITHOUT instant notifications (I'm not a premium member yet).

funny. instant notifications was the point at which i quit going for firstfinds so aggressively.

back in the day, it took a great deal of attention to figure out WHEN there was a firstfind available.

then instant notifications came out everyone with a phone knew the second they came out, and it took a lot of the sport out of it for me. it became about driving distance instead of ingenuity.

my first firstfind, well, that was an adventure! i had to make two trips, buy ferry passage both times, but the first time i couldn't reach the box even with impromptu construction, so came back the next week and drove across the ice with a stepladder.

i didn't know if it had been found in the interim, and GLORY, GLORY, there it was!

they don't make 'em like that anymore.

shame.

I think I have 4 or 5 FTF's...perhaps even six, I'm not terribly certain and I just recently went over 500 finds, so the percentage is low. I don't make it a point of going after them. I'll take a FTF but it has to fall into my lap. The race to the cache can be fun but more times than not, that's been the best part about that cache. I get there and realize I'm FTF on a guardrail cache or something similar....takes some of the luster off. If I was FTF on a challenging or creative cache, it'd be far more rewarding and worth being more involved in the chase.

Bruce

How did you find them?

This was a harmless topic that's turned into a social experiment... wow, I knew there were a lot of railroaders out there but I am often amazed at how quickly they come out of the woodwork. Any moderators around to keep this on topic? Oh the humanity.. :D:rolleyes::D

I thought it was a valid question. I agree that it is a harmless topic but with no agreement as to what counts as an FTF how do you get any meaning from comparing your "scores"?

Ok, understood. To me, a valid FTF is whoever finds the cache FIRST AFTER the cache published and withOUT ANY inside information. No beta-testing allowed. All of my FTF's are pure in that regard.

For the purposes of this thread, we'll use that as the basis. But outside of here, I don't care how people play the game. But I like FTF's and will always hunt them and will always lamblast those that complain about not being FTF or complain about FTF hogs. (sorry, run on sentence)

I have 4 FTFs among 31 finds = 13% FTF. AND I got all of them WITHOUT instant notifications (I'm not a premium member yet).

Good job. I am also not a premium member, and it takes some serious dedication to get a FTF without the instant notification. I think I have 2 or 3 FTFs plus one that maybe I could count (my dauter made the actual find) out of 204 total. That is kind of low (around 1%). I enjoy the FTF chace, but my life is too buisy to mount a cache very often.

funny. instant notifications was the point at which i quit going for firstfinds so aggressively.

back in the day, it took a great deal of attention to figure out WHEN there was a firstfind available.

then instant notifications came out everyone with a phone knew the second they came out, and it took a lot of the sport out of it for me. it became about driving distance instead of ingenuity.

my first firstfind, well, that was an adventure! i had to make two trips, buy ferry passage both times, but the first time i couldn't reach the box even with impromptu construction, so came back the next week and drove across the ice with a stepladder.

i didn't know if it had been found in the interim, and GLORY, GLORY, there it was!

shame.

Another words you can't handle the competition :rolleyes:

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

shame.

Another words you can't handle the competition

SS

in other words, there wasn't much competition left.

used to be i got up at 0400 to check listings, but now that anybody can have their phone wake them when a cache comes up, it lost its charm.

i still sometimes go out for a firstfind, but when i get the instant notifications, i just don't care as much.

be certain of this, though: when i care enough to go for it, i am not usually thwarted.

i also liked it better when puzzles didn't come with checkers. if you wanted a firstfind on those, you had to take your chances that your coordinates were correct and then fly out the door.

a checker lets any dimbulb who can't put together a sentence much less two thoughts into the race.

i'm totally good with competition. if getting a FTF means dropping everything to go at a moment's notice, it means that. i'm willing to commando-crawl through mud and sweep the tracks behind me if i go for one.

if it means i go out at midnight at ten below, i do that.

what i'm saying -and i'm going to type real slow to be sure you get this- is that firstfinding used to have more sport to it, and since it devolved into an candy-pants version of itself, i'm just not as interested.

in other words.

shame.

SS

used to be i got up at 0400 to check listings, but now that anybody can have their phone wake them when a cache comes up, it lost its charm.

i still sometimes go out for a firstfind, but when i get the instant notifications, i just don't care as much.

be certain of this, though: when i care enough to go for it, i am not usually thwarted.

i also liked it better when puzzles didn't come with checkers. if you wanted a firstfind on those, you had to take your chances that your coordinates were correct and then fly out the door.

a checker lets any dimbulb who can't put together a sentence much less two thoughts into the race.

i'm totally good with competition. if getting a FTF means dropping everything to go at a moment's notice, it means that. i'm willing to commando-crawl through mud and sweep the tracks behind me if i go for one.

what i'm saying -and i'm going to type real slow to be sure you get this- is that firstfinding used to have more sport to it, and since it devolved into an candy-pants version of itself, i'm just not as interested.

in other words.

With the new notification there is more competition for FTFs, you can put any kinda SPIN on explaining it you want, to make yourself look cool in front of whoever, or fool yourself......but at the end of the day, and bottom line is you don't like the competition, and your scared of not getting there first. But hey everyone caches how they want so whatever..... JMO

Candy coat it whatever way you want if that makes you feel better.....

SS

shame.

SS

in other words.

With the new notification there is more competition for FTFs, you can put any kinda SPIN on explaining it you want, to make yourself look cool in front of whoever, or fool yourself......but at the end of the day, and bottom line is you don't like the competition, and your scared of not getting there first. But hey everyone caches how they want so whatever..... JMO

SS

Not that flask needs defending, but you grow older and get out in the world, you will realize there is more to life and it's associated responsibilities..

but at the end of the day, and bottom line is you don't like the competition, and your scared of not getting there first. But hey everyone caches how they want so whatever..... JMO

SS

no. when i care enough about a race i will go after it so competitively that i will not stop no matter how bad i am bleeding, and i don't care whose head i have to step on to get there.

once this year my hunt for a firstfind was not stopped by an incident requiring $1830 worth of backcountry rescue in which i almost died.

i still got that firstfind, though.

here's my offer: you and i will meet in a state halfway between here and there and attempt to get the firstfinds that crop up in a week's time, no outside help, no insider information, and no cell phones.

i will kick your sorry butt from one end of the field to the other.

you so sure i can't take the heat? let's go. you are toast. i will candy coat you right up to the point your gills are glazed over and then i will run you into the ground.

then we'll see who isn't competitive.

come on. let's go.

start monday.

i dare you.

unless you can't take the competition.

you sure talk big, but let's see you in action.

Well for the first year of my caching I was a member status. I dont even think how I could have done all that hours of paper work and notebook after norebook on notes and coordinates and clues and descriptions, all written down by hand.

I remember sitting in parking lots for hours at a time manually putting in the wps. into the Garmin, Legend.

My first five attempts at finding a cache ended in failure and doubt. The first cahce I found was Billings Park over in Superior, Wsc.

I cached this labor intensive way for about a year, with several times there if I recall correct an attempt or two at getting a ftf, which I did not nor could not, always getting beaten to the prize.

I dont even think I had a cell phone back then. I had no connections, no power, no hookups, except finding caches as I could.

After about that first year ( had no idea of what happened really) I became a premium member on 12/4/09.

No idea why I had not done this advancement sooner??? Whooa... check out all this new information! ( Hey Im serious, had no clue of this stuff).

Then came the morning of 12/26/06, when I checked the computer and saw there was a ftf about forty five miles away in Wsc. Forty five or so mile drive in -10F. no problem, loaded up the info and the geo-dog and off I go in my truck.

The cache was a 1/1 rating, micro. After about twenty minute search, I opened up the cache signing the empty log book. I left a TB inside.

I really think I floated on the drive back home and entered in the cache page of found and a FTF! Man I was so happy.

Since that thrill that had came upon me after several near misses, opened up inside the drive to go out again, and again, activley persuing the FTF when I could, leaving home in the middle of the night, and in all sorts of weather, all to gain the chance to sign my name to a peice of paper in the woods, and for the chance for the FTF.

Not always seeking the ftf letting many pass by, but still going out. Sometimes seeing other cachers looking for the prize and meeting up with some of these guys is all so much fun for me, meeting many over and over again, or wondering who is going to show up.

So yes, there are active FTF seekers out there, and Im one of them, its part of the reason I geocache and the way I look at it if I did not like doing it then I would not do this activity.

684 total caches found with 167 being FTFs. Roughly 22%.

scubasooooonic! where are youuuuuuu?

i'm faster than you are, i'm smarter than you are, and i'm tougher than you are.

i also know the difference between "your" and "you're".

if you do not meet me monday at 0000 hours somewhere in middle america, everyone will know you're chicken.

you can candy coat it any way you want, but you can't take the competition, can you?

level playing field. no help, no cell phones.

the bottom line is you're scared you won't get those caches first.

at the end of the day, the bottom line is i will be there first.

my bags are half packed. i'm ready to go.

Jeeze... this is the THIRD post today that had me singing earworms. "This Land is My Land", "Where have all the <whatevers> Gone?, and now "Leaving on a Jet Plane". And I suspect that all three have been sung by Peter, Paul, and Mary. How creepy is that?!?