Pepper pots: the new 35mm film canisters

Hi,

Just returned from a shopping trip to Tesco.

Check this out: Tesco Value Ground black pepper @ 18p per pot = 10 micro caches for just 1.80 :blink: ! I have covered up the white container with black tape.

The plastic is a bit flimsier than the 35mm film container, but the dimensions are roughly the same.

Happy micros!

Hi,

Check this out: Tesco Value Ground black pepper @ 18p per pot = 10 micro caches for just 1.80 :blink: ! I have covered up the white container with black tape.

The plastic is a bit flimsier than the 35mm film container, but the dimensions are roughly the same.

Happy micros!

Hurray

Hopefully they're just as waterproof as film pots too .... :blink::blink:

Hi,

Check this out: Tesco Value Ground black pepper @ 18p per pot = 10 micro caches for just 1.80 :angry: ! I have covered up the white container with black tape.

Happy micros!

I ain't 'arf glad you live in Wales and a couple of hundred miles off my manor :blink: Having said that, what have the poor Welsh done to deserve you??? :blink::blink:

Must be a 'Wales' thing, but only yesterday on the English side of the M48 Severn Bridge at a cache called Route 41 we came across a micro. It was very well presented all the correct stickers and placed in a camo bag, but what was different, well for us a first anyway was the fact that the log sheet was inside the film spool inside the cannister, simply pulled out, signed and then turned back in...how simple and ingenious, yet never seen before. Is this common over the bridge I wonder in the land of pepper? :rolleyes::D:blink:

Must be a 'Wales' thing, but only yesterday on the English side of the M48 Severn Bridge at a cache called Route 41 we came across a micro. It was very well presented all the correct stickers and placed in a camo bag, but what was different, well for us a first anyway was the fact that the log sheet was inside the film spool inside the cannister, simply pulled out, signed and then turned back in...how simple and ingenious, yet never seen before. Is this common over the bridge I wonder in the land of pepper? :rolleyes::D:blink:

I found one in Surrey in a Church Micro this weekend. It was the 1st time I had seen it too. :D

Don't tend to use 'film pots' anymore, before Pharisee and Keehotee go into orgasmic raptures, I now use my empty 'Diabetic Test Strip' tubs as they are much more resistent to moisture ingress.

Wrapped in DPM camo tape and with a very adventurious approach to the hides I can create some very interesting caches that suit the area in which they are hidden (unlike the film tubs on Dartmoor).

Having said that I don't use them in large amounts.

the log sheet was inside the film spool inside the cannister, simply pulled out, signed and then turned back in...how simple and ingenious, yet never seen before.

Seen several of these now. One is in a mobile cache based in Germany owned by a cacher with a single letter caching name. Another one is at a cache in Honiton. They're really ingenious like you say.... I think I'll make a few next time I need some 35mm containers.

Well it was certainly a little more industrious than the usual three yards of till roll with a small elastic band around it in an unmarked 35mm cannister as most of them seem to be these days.....are they worth the bother I ask myself! I know, nobody is saying that we have to look for them, etc, etc. But it is nice to see that a little time and effort has been taken on producing them even on micro's when you eventually locate them (usually in the roots of a tree in a forest or in an ivy covered tree which takes you hours) Sorry moaning again. :rolleyes::D:blink::D

Don't tend to use 'film pots' anymore, before Pharisee and Keehotee go into orgasmic raptures, I now use my empty 'Diabetic Test Strip' tubs as they are much more resistent to moisture ingress.

Wrapped in DPM camo tape and with a very adventurious approach to the hides I can create some very interesting caches that suit the area in which they are hidden (unlike the film tubs on Dartmoor).

Having said that I don't use them in large amounts.

Blimey... "orgasmic raptures". I haven't had one of them since... oh... Monday morning :D:rolleyes:

my mum works with specimin pots..... was thinking of putting some on ebay as she gets them by the box of 1000.

was thinking £1 for 10 pots and then P&P on top so that would be about 20p per micro that are 100% waterproof(even when fully submerged, also do not go brittle thru exposer. the other day i had one that was found with a strimmer all it had done is stripped the lable off.

i also had one set in the english channel 400meters from the shore using a fishing weight and the salt water didnt affect the seal.

the pots are this one:

They are 1 inch x 3 inch

PSuniversals(A).jpg

you can fit in a log, a sharpner and a 3 inch pencil.

i have about 14 of these as micros that are curantly active

Edited by daveindeal

my mum works with specimin pots..... was thinking of putting some on ebay as she gets them by the box of 1000.

was thinking £1 for 10 pots and then P&P on top so that would be about 20p per micro that are 100% waterproof(even when fully submerged, also do not go brittle thru exposer. the other day i had one that was found with a strimmer all it had done is stripped the lable off.

i also had one set in the english channel 400meters from the shore using a fishing weight and the salt water didnt affect the seal.

you can fit in a log, a sharpner and a 3 inch pencil.

i have about 14 of these as micros that are curantly active

Team Marzipan have literally hundreds of these out in the wilds, as Gail is a Biochemist! They seem to last well!

Can I just say that I'm happy that the specimen containers are water and enviroment proof so should make good caches.

But please put them in good spots and add a good clue.

I don't mind finding smaller containers as long as the location is worth it and I don't have to plough through an acre of woodland to locate it due to a " in the coppiced tree" type clue.

:)

I've used a couple of specimen pots in the past :) - as stages in a multi :) - and i've got half a dozen or so still here waiting for that special moment when they might get used again.

They're perfectly waterproof, and seem to hold up to the elements.... but I wouldn't dream of putting one out as a standalone cache (but that's just me) :):)

Edited by keehotee

Just spent about an hour looking at all the other Geocaching extracts on U Tube from Dorsetgal's link. Some really interesting bits and pieces, but I think the fir cone is taking it a bit far and the Bison in the Funghi or have we just not been challenged enough yet here in Wiltshire? Enjoyed the link though. Also got some old spools from Boots as well so will exchange my micros for these little more enterprising ones when maintenance/log renewal is due. :):):):)

I can buy specimen containers from my local chemist for less than the cost of the pepper pots and they are waterproof!

Bob

Greetings from an ex-pat, now on Vancouver Island, Canada. Thanks for this suggestion....I have different specimen pots at work (for biopsies)....and I am sure I can liberate one - or two!

Happy Caching!

Pat (originally from Hutton, nr Brentwood, Essex)

Saw my first few in Copenhagen in May, included the video in a report which was on Podcacher Podcast shortly afterwards

I can confirm Dorsetgal's sightings in Copenhagen. The idea is good but a little flawed. I could not twist the scroll back in one of them, and in another the scroll had got caught and was tearing. And I found them somewhat fiddly in the cold and wet.

I can confirm Dorsetgal's sightings in Copenhagen. The idea is good but a little flawed. I could not twist the scroll back in one of them, and in another the scroll had got caught and was tearing. And I found them somewhat fiddly in the cold and wet.

The trick is to use a single strip of paper, so there's no join to get stuck, and make it a little narrower than the slot, so the edges don't snag. For example, cut the strip from the long side of an A3 sheet, or use a calculator/cash register roll, slit up a treat the middle.

To get the film cartridges, go to the developers (where you get the pots!) and ask them to save some for you when they come in. When processing the film, they pull it all the way out of the cartridge and cut it off, leaving a centimetre or two sticking out - that's where you attach the paper.

I'm not sure how long these (and the pots) will be available, but apparently there are still some die-hard "silver" photographers out there - and vinyl records seem to be making a comeback!