Google Maps GPS Navigation app...

Ninja R

Was wondering if anyone had read about Google Maps' GPS Navigation app.

For now, it's only working on Android OS 2.0 phones right now, but it's conceivable that it could be configured as an app for many other phones. This one's free, like many other Google apps.

Why's this affect geocachers? Well, after its announcement, Garmin stock tanked 11%. I'm just wondering (and a little worried) about the future of Garmin and other various GPSr makers. I think this move was pretty much inevitable, considering the strides Google has made with their aerial mapping and Streetview capabilities.

Many of us understand that using a GPS phone application isn't nearly as accurate as one might need for geocaching, and that a true GPSr -- not a GPSr simulator -- is best for finding and placing caches. I just really wouldn't want to see GPSr makers go away because of these free -- and inferior -- apps.

Not to worry. I don't think they will go away. Tom tom for one created an app in the iphone.

The main problem with this phone apps is what you mentioned, their accuracy. They are "ok" for geocaching, but for driving and other environment, it is pretty bad (plus you can't be checking your phone every 3 seconds while driving). I think this game has turned into one of update speed, features and maps versus price.

Yeah, I'm not thinking the app could be used for geocaching at all. I'm more worried about people who will download a free app to put on their phone vs. paying $100+ for a turn-by-turn standalone GPS unit. I don't know what percent of GPS makers' income is earned from turn-by-turn GPS sales, but I'd figure it's significant, and Google is going to make some huge inroads.

Then again, many other phones offer GPS simulation and mapping capabilities, usually with a monthly fee attached.

There are three things about it that are negative for people who will try it and positive for the existing GPS suppliers:

1. Smartphones are limited by necessity to being "pocket-sized". That means their screens will always be too small to be useful for many things that personal navigation devices (PND) like the Nuvi, etc. are used for. As witness the fact the trend in screen sizes in Nuvi and imitators is toward larger screens.

2. It's dependent upon Google Maps. In North America Google's maps have been deteriorating constantly. First they moved from Navteq to TeleAtlas. Now, in the US, they've dropped TeleAtlas and gone with a mishmash of free maps and their own data. Many reports are that the areas they are interested in have degraded even more.

3. The app is not free. You need a broadband cellular data connection to the internet or you don't have maps. You need a lot of bandwidth, especially if you like their satellite view rather than just the basic road map view. That costs a lot of money.

Google's app will hit the sweet spot for really casual users who would never have any need for a real PND.

Anyone who has a serious use for personal navigation will find it a useful way to introduce themselves to the possibilities but they will quickly encounter one, or a combination, of the limitations above and move to the real meal deal.

Over the longer haul, this should stimulate sales of real PNDs. So, quick, buy up some of that cheap Garmin stock before it starts to take off again. :blink:

...ken...

Excellent points, Ken. You're right; I don't think the iPhone or similar (and currently unsupported) smartphones have faces the size of the nuvi.

I don't think app users would be overly interested in using aerials. I've noticed Google has been adding a lot of NAIP data, but there's just too much of it to mosaic quickly enough to keep it updated. Many states have NAIP aerials from last year, but that's the bad thing about aerials -- they're outdated the second they're shot. App users may want to strictly use the line maps, which leads to....

...outdated line information is a significant problem in Google Maps, especially in areas with high-growth rates. You'd figure Google would procure up-to-date data.

And finally, yep, while the app is free, using it isn't, and people will have to pay out the nose to continually stream Google's line maps. Streaming the aerials would deplete the monthly limit even more quickly...which isn't necessarily a problem for users with unlimited bandwidth plans.

Again, excellent points.