This is why I'm a Geocacher, NOT a waymarker

RIclimber

I've been caching for seven years, and on this trip to disney, I thought I'd try Waymarking.

Less then an hour after I started logging what would have been 300+, this is the email I got:

Downy288,

Many categories require a picture to be uploaded, and it seems you have been only logging those that dont require one.....

you mean to tell me that you spent several days in disney and took no pics? you know that one of the main aspects of this game is the uploading/sharing of photos and stories, but you cant seem to get that one right either....

they removed your favorite fountain? where is your picture showing this?

it is the people like you that give Waymarking a bad name.....

its a wonder i dont delete all of your logs to all of my waymarks that do not have a picture uploaded--required or not.

~C********I**

I'm sorry you had a bad experience like that. But your bad experience seems to be with a person, not with Waymarking itself. Unfortunately, cranky people can be found everywhere. :laughing:

What the H E double hockey sticks is that supposed to mean! It's people like you who...OK, I can't even finish that. Sorry, just my silly side showing. :angry:

WHAT?!? How could you talk to me that way! You...you...CRANKY Person!!!

:blink::blink::blink:

Sorry, OP, not trying to make light of your problem. Sometimes we just get in the way of people who don't seem to be very empathetic and don't seem to think before they talk/type. It sucks, and it doesn't make you feel very good. But please don't blame a whole past time on one (or more) person! If you enjoy Waymarking, then Waymark for Waymarking's sake and for your own enjoment. :laughing:

Why would they delete a log on a waymark that you didn't have to upload a picture? I'd delete the log myself and reply back that if he wants to be that way, having a "find" (or whatever you get for a waymark) isn't worth the hassle. Then, I'd contact the person that created the section (I think people create each section) and let them know of your experience.

Editing to add that the waymark creator is the one giving Waymarking a bad name. I'm in one of my "low" modes for caching right now, meaning I'm in lazy mode and not fired up about rushing out to find caches, and was looking at waymarks as a way to find something different. With people like that overseeing the waymarks, I have no desire to do it now. Caching/Waymarking is supposed to be fun, and that is a definite drag and no fun.

Edited by Skippermark

Why would they delete a log on a waymark that you didn't have to upload a picture?

Logs are deleted all the time if they do not meet the category (or cache) guidelines.

I have a feeling the whole story isn't being told. How many messages did the OP get before the waymarker started deleting his "visits".

The..... in the OP's post indicate that these comments are snipped out of a larger body of text.

Sometimes this kind of post lacks proper context and shows only one side of the story using CONtext.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

Why would they delete a log on a waymark that you didn't have to upload a picture?

Logs are deleted all the time if they do not meet the category (or cache) guidelines.

I have a feeling the whole story isn't being told. How many messages did the OP get before the waymarker started deleting his "visits".

The logs did meet the requirements. The email from the waymark owner said he was thinking of deleting all the finds on all his waymarks, even if a picture wasn't required. Why would they do that if none was required?

Editing to add that I didn't realize there were category requirements too. I only thought there would be individual cache guidelines like for a virtual.

Edited by Skippermark

Creating a waymark and visiting a waymark are different things. The requirements should be set by the category owner though, both for creating a waymark and logging it. Those requirements are stated within the category description. Not all have photo requirements. I think that it's best to have at least one picture when you create a waymark, so people can see what it is and the picture shows up in the brief description provided in searches. I personally don't require people to post a picture with their visit logs, although I encourage it. :blink:

Hope that wasn't too confusing of a ramble.

Edited by Ambrosia

The..... in the OP's post indicate that these comments are snipped out of a larger body of text.

Sometimes this kind of post lacks proper context and shows only one side of the story using CONtext.

This is the first email I got from him.

the "...." is from the sender

Also, no logs have been deleted, yet

Edited by Downy288
Unfortunately, cranky people can be found everywhere.

Too true. I've had worse emails from Geocachers to be honest, but I don't think it excuses the behavior either way. Nonetheless, it doesn't keep me from caching.

FWIW, and someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is some time limitation on the Waymark owners ability to delete log entries (maybe 60 minutes or something). I had a bogus Visit on my Waymark on Half Dome and thought about deleting it, but by the time I got home, the clock had run out. Oh well, their loss :blink:

5985a5af-83c4-46a5-8fce-2c4a49c99dbd.jpg

Edited by Touchstone

no, the whole story isnt being told here, from them....

a link to the Waymarking forum where i made this post containing the whole story. this was not the first message. and from all of the replies above it seems as if there are many misconceptions about Waymarking. and ultimately it boils down to thone not wanting to learn the proper way to play....all of us were noob cachers at one point. and it took guidance from those with more experience to learn what is accepted and what is not.

after previous notes had been sent, the activity continued. i only deleted the logs i had proper authority to do so. i have had my cache log deleted before, nothing is different about that. and the pattern of visit logs does share a lot of similarities with what we call armchair visits.

----------

http://portal.Groundspeak.com/forums/thread/26315.aspx

i see the messages were edited.....here is the first, uncensored one, and then the reply to his reply.....

-----------------------------

-----Original Message-----

To:

Sent: Wed, Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Subject: [WMK] ChapterhouseInc is contacting you from Waymarking.com

if i recall correctly, havent we had this conversation before?

many categories require a picture to be uploaded, so it seems you have begun

only logging those that dont require one.....

you mean to tell me that you spent several days in disney and took no pics? you

know that one of the main aspects of this game is the uploading/sharing of

photos and stories, but you cant seem to get that one right either....as your

logs all seem to be the same copy/paste....

it is the people like you that give Waymarking a bad name.....

finally found one where you did not complete the requirements. it has been

deleted. and another. and another, in the same category. and another. and

another.

its a wonder i dont delete all of your logs to all of my waymarks that do not

have a picture uploaded--required or not.

To respond to this message from ChapterhouseInc, use the following link:

http://www.Waymarking.com/users/profile.as...b6-8361c78f9faf

[this message is a copy of the message you sent to Downy288]

----------------------------------

To:

Sent: Wed, Oct 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Subject: Re: [WMK] ChapterhouseInc is contacting you from Waymarking.com

Well, maybe if you give me time to upload photo's on DIAL-UP internet... I have the pictures, but not everyone can afford 20MBs connections.

----

this issue has been discussed in the forums. but the main idea conveyed was to not post the log until you could satisfy the requirements (or just upload a pic). thus, one at a time until complete.

have you tried resizing your pics? there are several threads about that too......

here are several threads i found from the term 'upload' other helpfu terms might include 'resize', 'image' and others....

my photos wont upload

http://portal.Groundspeak.com/forums/thread/26079.aspx

cannot upload images

http://portal.Groundspeak.com/forums/thread/21830.aspx

upload image failures

http://portal.Groundspeak.com/forums/thread/16475.aspx

Edited by moderator to remove personal information.

Edited by Keystone

The way I see it was that he was upset about "copy & paste" of every "VISIT" and if required the Waymarks had no photos.

- Not a word in the Waymark visits except ->"Part of my disney waymark tour."

Question: All visited on the 28th of October 2009 ????? WOW :blink:

EDIT: This was written before the above post was published

Edited by Jake39

Hi there,

First, I'd just like to say thanks Downy for visiting some of my waymarks. (yea, there were a couple pix, just so you know). I do hope you'll be able to upgrade your modem some day. Then whatever you've switched it to eventually will seem SO SLOW!!!!

Anyway, I would like to say that my family has enjoyed Waymarking since it was reverse caches, and continue to play the game. Yes, we've butted heads many times with many other players over many issues. (I'm starting to think maybe it's us and that we're just that kind of people who enjoy the argument simply for the sake of argument). Either way, it all seems to work out in the end.

I would like also to remind everybody that we're all walking around staring at a really small screen looking for things big and small. Whether they're waymarks or caches, it doesn't matter really. We are all playing a game with our neat little pieces of technology and posting our results on a Groundspeak webpage. I think it would help if we try to remember what we all have in common and quit bickering about "the other game". (I hear it from both sides).

What happened to Downy is not the norm. Most of the time most of us on the other side are very willing to help make the experience not just pleasant, but actually enjoyable. I'd also like to suggest checking out BruseS' blog which you can get to from the WM homepage. There, he has listed some of the more prolific players. They obviously enjoy what they do and I think you might agree that these same folks are willing to answer any questions.

Speaking for myself, I'm one of those WMer's and I do try to help where I can. That said, it doesn't mean I don't occasionally find my knickers in a bunch from time to time. Fortunately, ther are those who are quick to point it out.

Thanks for reading my ramble, I hope it's been somewhat helpful and light on the snark.

later,

Team Farkle 7

if i recall correctly, havent we had this conversation before?

many categories require a picture to be uploaded, so it seems you have begun

only logging those that dont require one.....

you mean to tell me that you spent several days in disney and took no pics? you

know that one of the main aspects of this game is the uploading/sharing of

photos and stories, but you cant seem to get that one right either....as your

logs all seem to be the same copy/paste....

You act surprised someone would spend several days in Disney and take no pictures. Not sure why you would think everyone has a camera, and takes pictures.

I got my first camera when I was about 8 yrs old and go nowhere with out one. However, I know a few people who do not own a camera and have no interest in one.

Why would you be upset about someone who either doesn't have a camera or maybe doesn't have the equipment or desire to upload pictures, only logging caches that do not require a picture. :blink:

I have tried to check out Waymarking several times, but really can't figure it out. However, if I got a note like this one, it would definitely put me off from trying it again. :blink:

if I got a note like this one, it would definitely put me off from trying it again. :blink:

Then don't read it, read mine. Please.

Like I said, this type of behavior is not the norm.

Most of us enjoy Waymarking and only wish to see that newcomers do too.

Edit: If you take the time to read the thread at the WM forum, you'll see Downy's accuser has been receiving several wet noodle lashes.

Edited by Team Farkle 7

What's lame? That last post.

From the Forum Guidelines:

Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

If you cannot post constructively and respectfully, don't post. If Chad were here, he'd tell someone to find a different thread.

I've done a few waymarks, didn't like it. Don't really see the point. ...even after wading through the chaff.

If I'd gotten an email like either version of the above, I'd probably just walk away as not worth my time. I've not seen the first waymark--anywhere, much less anywhere near me--that puts in me nearly the excitement of decent geocache.

Recently there was a long thread about someone armchair logging virtual caches, Waymarking has experienced the same thing from time to time. Getting a bunch of copy paste logs with no photos causes one to wonder if these are armchair logs. The email sent could have been worded more friendly and requested photos. Most categories do require photos for visit logs, though with a good log relating one's experience at the waymark will normally fulfill the requirement for most Waymarkers. Waymarking is a different game than Geocaching and photos play a much greater role there

I was 99% certain I knew who the waymark owner was after reading the OP...

We logged one waymark a few years ago and got almost the exact same chastizing email regarding a photo (although there was no requirement for a photo). We sent a response email explaining why we took no photo (pouring rain) and received another unsatisfying reply. We moved on.

Maybe we're just lucky so far, cache owners have been so much more positive.

Recently there was a long thread about someone armchair logging virtual caches, Waymarking has experienced the same thing from time to time. Getting a bunch of copy paste logs with no photos causes one to wonder if these are armchair logs. The email sent could have been worded more friendly and requested photos. Most categories do require photos for visit logs, though with a good log relating one's experience at the waymark will normally fulfill the requirement for most Waymarkers. Waymarking is a different game than Geocaching and photos play a much greater role there

I think that's one of the reasons Waymarking doesn't appeal to as many people as geocaching. Some really like cameras and will photograph anything and everything, perhaps they have pictures of every cache they've been to, etc. Those are the people to which Waymarking is geared. On the other hand are the people which either don't care to take pictures, or do and just don't wish to share them.

Personally, I have terriable luck with cameras.... thankfully gps units are generally drop resistant :blink:. If I do have a camera with me, it is likely a disposable film camera. Works to keep me from breaking something expensive, but hard to tell if the tip of my finger was too close to the lens (again). It is also slower to turn them in for processing and having put on disk. Certainly not impossible to waymark this way, but a PITA I'd rather not deal with for the honor of someone letting me say I visited their (whatever).

Getting back to the topic of the email. I can understand the waymark owner wanting to check out some fishy looking logs, but that email is very rude. Might have as well said 'you aren't doing it the way I would, I'm gonna delete your logs'.

Edited by welch
What's lame? That last post.

From the Forum Guidelines:

Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

If you cannot post constructively and respectfully, don't post. If Chad were here, he'd tell someone to find a different thread.

Sorry... that was intended as humor. I was referring to the sounds of the words, anyway. Guess that wasn't clear. I was in no way implying that a geocacher was better than a waymarker.

Because of this thread I have snooped around that Waymarking site. I take it that waymarkers are elitist.

I went to their homepage and thought I accidentally loaded Habbo. haha

Doesn't seem like anything fun considering the discussion here.

I'm new, please forgive me. :blink:

Edited by chardero

no, the whole story isnt being told here, from them....

a link to the Waymarking forum where i made this post containing the whole story.

Thanks CharterhouseInc for your reply. I probably shouldn't have jumped the gun and formed an opinion so quickly. It looks like one of those cases of the internet not being the best form of communication for conveying ones feelings.

When I first read the original post, it sounded harsh and unnecessary, but in the later email after you realized what was going on, it looks like you were helpful and offered some info about resizing pictures to make it easier for the OP. My guess, however, is that at the point the OP was probably frustrated from the original email.

Emotions sometimes get the best of people, and both parties involved probably felt like they weren't being treated unfairly. I hope it works out for everyone and that there are no hard feelings.

yes, the key factor missing from the OP was this was NOT the FIRST message sent to them. ( i want to say it was the 3rd, but have no record of that).

i believe all of us, after our polite messages were seemingly ignored, we would get al little more 'nasty'.

and as shown, once the persone finally conveyed the issue, i gladly offered resources to help them.

the core thing to take away from this: complete each post before you move to the next, and make each visit as meaningful as you can. this way most of the confusion can be avoided.

and, in my opinion waymarkers are no where near as elitist as some of the cachers i have come across.

I've been caching for seven years, and on this trip to disney, I thought I'd try Waymarking.

Less then an hour after I started logging what would have been 300+, this is the email I got:

Downy288,

Many categories require a picture to be uploaded, and it seems you have been only logging those that dont require one........~C********I**

Those are the same ones I would be logging. If the guy is so clueless as to what he demands in a log, I'd happily explain to them. "If you really want photos' in each log you should be asking for them as part of your logging requirements that way I can avoid them".

...Speaking for myself, I'm one of those WMer's and I do try to help where I can. That said, it doesn't mean I don't occasionally find my knickers in a bunch from time to time. Fortunately, ther are those who are quick to point it out....

We all have our moments. Some folks are far more diplomaic about helping us overcome those moments. I'm not one of those folks. Sorry about that.

ChannelFadge, please pull another chair over to the corner marked for people contributing nothing to the discussion, and don't post to this thread again.

Sensorship???????????????? :rolleyes::D:blink:

Forum moderation. Read the Forum Guidelines

So modertors are allowed to behave as dictators.

No one are allowed to speak their own opinions.

Lei for det men nå synes jeg moderatoren gikk for langt.

ChannelFadge, please pull another chair over to the corner marked for people contributing nothing to the discussion, and don't post to this thread again.

uh-huh

(lets out some more rope)

I've visited WDW many times & take less & less pics each time. You come home with all the same pics after a while. Downy has been way more times than I have. If I have been as many times as he, I don't know if I would even been bringing a camera.

I think 60 minutes is a ridiculous amount of time to expect logs & pics, and then to receive an email like that. I would be done with Waymarking also.

I tried Waymarking a couple of months ago and had major difficulty in trying to post pictures & finally gave up saying it wasn't worth it.

And besides...the waymarks being discussed didn't NEED pics. :rolleyes: Talk about RUDE emails!

Edited by wandering4cache

Yup. As Keystones posts contributed nothing to this thread either, but of course they are allowed to say what they want without challenge. A clear case of 'do as we say, not as we do'.

But hey...here I am staying off topic and not contributing again...sorry...BOT please!

To be transparent, I enjoy both games a lot. I understand that they are different and not everyone likes the same things.

I'm very sorry to hear that there have been some less than enjoyable exchanges especially since Waymarking is often misunderstood or overlooked or quickly dismissed by many. People that do waymark should be encouraging new people, not discouraging them.

I went to Disney at the end of July this year and thanks to Waymarking I did see many things that I had never noticed on my previous five trips. I went to Chicago in September and again saw many things I would have missed if not for Waymarking, and learning about them in that way was very rewarding for me.

In geocaching as we all know you must sign the logbook for your find to be valid. Many Waymarking categories have a similar requirement that a photo must be taken, but not all do. The person that makes a waymark has no control over the "visit" requirement, it is set up by the people that created the category. Virtual Caches, Webcams and EarthCaches all have some additional requirement like answering a question by email or submitting a photo. Waymarks generally are photo-ops only. When people do not log Virtuals properly their logs may be deleted (actually they should be, it is a requirement for the owner to "police" logs for the cache listing to remain active). However, when it comes to my waymarks I do not insist that people provide a photo. If you went to any of mine and logged them, then I'm happy that you took the time to stop by.

Still, I remain confused why people are so anti-Waymarking when they also appear willing to find virtual caches, lift lampskirts at Walmart, go after EarthCaches, or any other fairly easy caches (yes I know, there are hard virtuals... let's not go there okay?)

The fact remains, in my eyes, that both listing sites have many examples of good entries and crappy entries. If you are rejecting the educational aspect of some stellar waymarks but are willing to grab a magnetic hide-a-key stuck on the back of a dumpster... I'm afraid I have no idea how to reason with you.