where is the cheapest place to get ammo cans for caches?

americantracker

Gander Mountain... its been a few months since I've checked, but last time, they were around $6. Expensive? Hell, I used to pay almost that much for a pack of cigarettes that I'd burn through in about half a day. $6 is dirt cheap for something that will last in the woods, unattended, for years!!!

At one time cheap (under 4 bucks) ammo boxes were widely available at a variety of websites. I don't know if geocaching suddenly drove up the price, but they are hard to find at that price anymore unless you buy them in bulk. Some auction sites sell full pallets for about 2 bucks a can but the total price and transportation issues puts that out of the reach of most individual geocachers.

Many local geocaching organizations have purchased pallets lately and resold them to members at a reasonable price. Check with your local organization to see if they have some available, or perhaps suggest they make a bulk purchase.

You can also find them at flea markets and gun shows for a few bucks each. Army and Navy stores usually sell them but I've found their prices to be high. Anything more than about 7 dollars each is a ripoff.

I saw some on sale at our local Fleet Farm but no matter how cheap, I wouldn't have bought one. Rusted out and in generally poor condition. If you have a Fleet Farm near you, check it out...they might have a better stock.

I pay more but anytime I need an ammo can, I order one (or a few to save on future shipping costs) from armysurplusworld.com. There's always a danger of getting a cruddy, rusted can....but so far, I've gotten great quality cans and shipped quickly.

Bruce

I understand if you enlist in any of the armed forces they will pay you a couple hundred dollars a month, give you free clothes, a home, lots of food and let you take home an ammo box once in a while after you empty it.

Wow, when I was in the military I had to buy my own clothes. Did get lots of food, and the ammo cans I could get were round and long. Didn't think they would make good caches. But then maybe if I glued some bark on them they could pass for a log.

Jim

Never thought about the NAS near here.

Did see some in a consignment/antique shop tonight. I knew what to expect - $40 each!! Yikes. Who would pay that??

..a

No ammo can is worth that unless it was autographed by John Wayne or carried by Tom Hanks in Private Ryan. Check the army surplus stores...prob get them for ten bucks or thereabouts.

At my local military surplus store, 30 cal size were $3 for years, occasionally 5 for $10. Lately, $15 each. I suspect that there has been an increased demand for about one year, as many people are buying/hoarding ammo. In California a law was just passed (effective next year) where any buyer must show ID and have his purchase in a state registry. You cannot even find common calibers in stores to buy. People then store their ammo caches in ...... ammo cans.

Also be aware that you might not be able to use them in many places, if you're state/county is like mine.

All the local parks, as of last summer, require a form to be submitted to the park service before you can hide a geocache. And they require that it be in a clear container, without camo. They explicitly say no ammo cans as it could scare people unfamiliar with geocaching.

It's a shame as about 75% of the park caches I've found so far are ammo cans, and they seem to be the most durable in that harsh environment.

No more...

Also be aware that you might not be able to use them in many places, if you're state/county is like mine.

All the local parks, as of last summer, require a form to be submitted to the park service before you can hide a geocache. And they require that it be in a clear container, without camo. They explicitly say no ammo cans as it could scare people unfamiliar with geocaching.

It's a shame as about 75% of the park caches I've found so far are ammo cans, and they seem to be the most durable in that harsh environment.

No more...

The next best is genuine lock and locks.

Jim