Winterizing geocaches. How do you? Do you at all?

Headhardhat

I was just curious. In the Carolinas we do not have to worry nearly as much when it comes to the winter months for geocaching. My question is do you have to winterize your geocaches for the colder months? Do you archive them because the snow gets too deep? What steps do you take to make sure your geocache is ready for the cold winter months?

Thanks in advance...

-HHH :(

Last week I was in the area where I have a cache, letting a friend find it, and while there we pulled out a scented candle and a scented skin creme sample someone had put in. Other than that, it will take care of itself.

If someone wants to snowshoe in and find it, good for them. :blink:

What steps do you take to make sure your geocache is ready for the cold winter months?
I don't do anything for my own caches. My containers are waterproof, and we don't get snow or freezing weather around here.

But I carry waterproof replacement log sheets with me when I go geocaching, and I tend to go through them a lot faster during the wet winter months.

Oh yeah... I forgot: repaint the ammo cans white.

What color do you paint them in the spring? Do you also have a fall color?

Jim

Jim, this is Minnesota. I leave them white in the spring and paint them white for fall. I paint them in forest tones for June (maybe), July, and the first week of August. :blink:

Jim

Jim, this is Minnesota. I leave them white in the spring and paint them white for fall. I paint them in forest tones for June (maybe), July, and the first week of August. :blink:

I thought you just painted them bear color. Why would you need repaint them white? :blink: I mean it is Minnesota and all.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Nothing. Quality containers do not require "winterization" When I choose a container I choose it knowing that it might be under 2 feet of snow for a month or two. Actually spring rains tend to pose more of a challenge for cache containers than snow.

Choose a container that will deal with the worst possible conditions in the first place and there is no need to make seasonal alterations to your cache.

Edited by briansnat

Jim

That sounds like a lot of work. Around here we just paint them moss and we're done. :blink:

Jim

Like others have said, not much needs to be done if you create the cache with winter in mind. Make sure the container will hold up to winters. I've never seen a pen freeze, although it can get quite cold here in the winter, but I always put a mechanical pencil in my caches as well as a pen, just to make sure there's something that works. There's no need to disable a cache unless the area becomes off limits in the winter. If people want to try and find it under snow, that's fine with me. :blink:

I was just curious. In the Carolinas we do not have to worry nearly as much when it comes to the winter months for geocaching. My question is do you have to winterize your geocaches for the colder months? Do you archive them because the snow gets too deep? What steps do you take to make sure your geocache is ready for the cold winter months?

Thanks in advance...

-HHH :(

I might check on them after the next serious rain, but there shouldn't be any major changes. Maybe check to make sure the bag for the log is in good shape and the rubber seal is clean.

Jim

Jim, this is Minnesota. I leave them white in the spring and paint them white for fall. I paint them in forest tones for June (maybe), July, and the first week of August. :rolleyes:

I thought you would just throw in some Lutefisk and call it a day. :P