The Road to Mingo

BigCronk

About a month ago I discovered the world of geocaching. What I am thinking of doing is combining my new hobby with my old hobby of riding motorcycles. What I would like to do is plan a ride with a few other fellow geocachers that enjoy riding as well and take backroads from Kansas City to the site of Mingo (the oldest active geocache) in Colby, KS...picking up caches as we go. The route I found using Google Maps estimates that it is a 9 hour ride, but would probably want to split it up over two days to allow for geocaching along the way (not to mention my butt gets tired after about 5 hours). Then can take a straight highway ride back (5+ hours). Would be possible to do this in 3 days. There is plenty of time to plan the route and the geocaches to hunt, as it would be best to wait for Spring before hitting the road. But better to plan earlier than later.

Would anyone else be interested in making this kind of ride?

I would but I have been there and done that one.

Well....it's just as much for the ride as it is for the cache....and I plan on hitting a handful of caches along the way.....maybe there would be some of those you would like to discover.

Let me know if you change your mind. Everything is still in the planning stages.

I would but I have been there and done that one.

Well....it's just as much for the ride as it is for the cache....and I plan on hitting a handful of caches along the way.....maybe there would be some of those you would like to discover.

Let me know if you change your mind. Everything is still in the planning stages.

Check with AJayhawkFan. He is from KC and loves to ride backroads.

About a month ago I discovered the world of geocaching. What I am thinking of doing is combining my new hobby with my old hobby of riding motorcycles. What I would like to do is plan a ride with a few other fellow geocachers that enjoy riding as well and take backroads from Kansas City to the site of Mingo (the oldest active geocache) in Colby, KS...picking up caches as we go. The route I found using Google Maps estimates that it is a 9 hour ride, but would probably want to split it up over two days to allow for geocaching along the way (not to mention my butt gets tired after about 5 hours). Then can take a straight highway ride back (5+ hours). Would be possible to do this in 3 days. There is plenty of time to plan the route and the geocaches to hunt, as it would be best to wait for Spring before hitting the road. But better to plan earlier than later.

Would anyone else be interested in making this kind of ride?

I was planning on riding out west during a warm weekend or this spring. My plan was to ride a lot of gravel and minimum maintenance roads on the way out. If that is what you are interested in let me know.

I was planning on riding out west during a warm weekend or this spring. My plan was to ride a lot of gravel and minimum maintenance roads on the way out. If that is what you are interested in let me know.

I think I'm aiming for Spring. The weather is too unstable and I'm too much of a wuss to go out for more than a few hours this time of year. Hadn't planned for gravel, but not opposed to the idea. My travel GPS lets me plot a course and avoid highways. I was just thinking I would use that to plot the course to Mingo and then use Groundspeak to locate caches along that course. And then just blast back on the highway to make it home. But that was just the idea I had in my head...I am completely open to suggestion.