Help, how do I transfer large numbers of GC's?

I have just recently got a GPS unit (oregonn 550t) that can hold up to 5000 caches. However unfortunately I only have figured out how to transfer one cache at a time to my GPS so it may take a while to fill 5000 spaces!! I do a search and check all the chaches on one page but only can transfer one at a time.

Is there an easier way or is a Pocket Query the only way (I still need to figure these out) to do large numbers of caches at once.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

When you're in the Search for Geocaches page, and see a listing of all the caches found, there is a checkbox over on the right side. You can check as many as you want, then click 'download waypoints', and download them all as one .loc file.

Another option - which only lets you do one at a time but is pretty fast - is in map view, as you click on each cache, you can transfer to GPS right from there.

I do the latter before I go cache in an area. Of course, I'm only sending a handful over to the GPS at a time, not 5000..

..a

I have just recently got a GPS unit (oregonn 550t) that can hold up to 5000 caches. However unfortunately I only have figured out how to transfer one cache at a time to my GPS so it may take a while to fill 5000 spaces!! I do a search and check all the chaches on one page but only can transfer one at a time.

Is there an easier way or is a Pocket Query the only way (I still need to figure these out) to do large numbers of caches at once.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Since you are a premium member, I'd strongly suggest the Pocket Query method. Once you have queries set up for your area, it's easy. Be aware that the maximum number of points you can request in a radius is 500, and the maximum number of queries you can run in a day is 5. So even if there were no overlaps between any of your queries (and there will no doubt will be), you'd need 2 days to fill your Oregon.

I'm new to transferring large numbers of GCs also.

I ran a Pocket Query earlier today and still haven't received the gpx file by email, but I don't know if I did everything right.

If I don't select a particular PQ generation day will the PQ simply be placed in queue today? I didn't select a day so should I go back and run the PQ again and select today?

Are there instructions somewhere detailing the effect of each choice made when creating a PQ?

Hopefully these questions are on the original poster's mind as well - and get answered.

Paul

Definitely choose a day to run it on, if you don't it doesnt know when you want it to run.

Also the best way to get a large amount of caches, in an organized manner is to use pocket queries.. I absolutely WOULD NOT put 5000 caches on my Oregon, that's just ludicrous. I can't imagine the amount of slowdown that would cause on the unit.

Not only that but you would also have to keep them updated. There's nothing worse then going looking for a cache on your GPS that you later find out was archived 2 months ago.

What I do is I make a pocket query just for the areas I like to cache and have them in individual pockets. For instance I have the 20 closest to my work, the 100 closest to my house, and the 25 closest to the central peak in two hiking areas I like to go in. When I go to a park or to a friends house I builld a quick pocket query of that area, throw it into GSAK, and go along my way.

Also the best way to get a large amount of caches, in an organized manner is to use pocket queries.. I absolutely WOULD NOT put 5000 caches on my Oregon, that's just ludicrous. I can't imagine the amount of slowdown that would cause on the unit.

What would it slow down? I transfer about 3000 caches once a week to my 550t because I'm never sure where I'll be in the 50 mile radius around where I live. It takes about 10 minutes in GSAK to build the gpx file and download it. The unit runs fine with 3000 caches loaded, no slow down.

Either way, PQ's are the way to go and http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/geocaching describes how to get it to work.

Edited by g-o-cashers

I am fixing to go to the mountains and want to put a bunch of caches in my vista. I would rather not have them there when I am back. I am planning to back up the geocaches to a file, then delete all waypoints from my gps when I come back. I can then reload the ones that I want, and I will have the vacation ones saved for when I go back.

Does that sound like a plan?

I have a premium membership but have not been able to do the pocket query thing for some reason. It's been awhile since I have tried but if I recall correctlly, I was getting file errors.

I have a premium membership but have not been able to do the pocket query thing for some reason. It's been awhile since I have tried but if I recall correctlly, I was getting file errors.

Try it again. Post your exact steps and the exact errors you get. Somebody will be able to help out.